Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Studio 666 (Dave Grohl's Comedy Vehicle)

Started by studpuppet, January 12, 2022, 10:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

This suddenly popped up and I couldn't find another thread (maybe there's one in Oscillations?). It looks weirdly watchable in a 'Bula Quo!' sort-of way.

Magnum Valentino

I've made a lot of excuses for Dave Grohl over the last few years as my cynical brother has increasingly soured on his social pandering but I think this might be my limit.

It looks like the exact sort of thing that I can only attempt to describe as the unique hipster flavour of Shit For Cunts.

Lionel Richie for fuck sake. It's just so desperate and transparent.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I often used to think that Grohl should go into comedy acting. I can admit when I'm wrong, though.

SteveDave

I was coming here to post this in the "This'll Be Shit..." thread but, that trailer raised some smiles. I fucking hate David Grohl's songs and his ubiquity. Why the fuck is the singer from Foo Fighters in all those Nirvana documentaries?

Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead

Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen does Changing Rooms in Los Angeles AND ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN.

I really liked Bula Quo too. It's good-shit.

The Mollusk

Christ can this guy be any more of a fucking dweeb

touchingcloth

The main thing I've learned from this thread is that there are people with strong feelings about Dave Grohl. I find everything he's ever done somewhere between meh and fine, absolutely 100% OK.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

chveik

Shaky

It's been 20-odd years since the Foo Figthers did anything decent but Christ, this looks fucking terrible.

Goldentony

be amazing if this failed and he lost loads of cash on it, crying and everything

the science eel

iamcoop

I watched this tonight.

It's nearly two hours long.

The best I can say is that out of 90% of modern horrors I've had to endure in the cinema (Malignant etc) this wasn't that much worse.

Needless to say the band are terrible actors but don't lean into that enough to be entertaining so it's just generally stilted and weird.

The writing is atrocious, the homages are half-baked and the gore is relentless and covered in that weird modern sheen where a body getting chainsawed in half and then falling apart looks like something from a 2006 era PC game.

But as I said previously, no worse than 90% of Blumhouse stuff you'll see in the cinema so I'm no more annoyed than I usually am when coming out of those.

McChesney Duntz

MigraineBoy

It's absolutely fine.

Kermode on 5 Live & The Observer both said it could've done with 30 mins chopped off & I'd agree with that. But as far as "let's make this just because we can" projects go, there are far, far worse & far, far more self-indulgent - they got a real horror director, real horror SFX team & John Carpenter doing the theme. Obviously your enjoyment will be how dependent on how much you tolerate Foo Fighters, but I've seen people annoyed at how bad it isn't.

Magnum Valentino

Can I push you to more specific praise than 'worse things exist' or is that the ceiling on this one? Somehow Carpenter being involved with it makes me want to see it even less. It's the exact kind of cynical tickboxing big grin bullshit I'd expect from this sort of project.

MigraineBoy

I'm not enough of a cinephile to provide an erudite review, but what I meant is this is a vanity project that had the sense to get people involved who know what the fuck they are doing and as such, is far better than most people's initial reaction would be to the "rock band in haunted house" synopsis.  It's not gonna be for everyone, what is?

Again, I wouldn't say it's higher than 2/5 but I don't think it's a film you'd get angry about if you're a horror fan (and certainly not if your a Foo Fighters fan)

Carpenter said Foo Fighters took his son (or Godson) & his band on tour as support years ago & when Grohl got in touch and asked him to make a cameo, he offered to do the theme in payment for how well they'd treated him.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 12, 2022, 12:04:25 PMI've made a lot of excuses for Dave Grohl over the last few years as my cynical brother has increasingly soured on his social pandering but I think this might be my limit.

I've no desire to intensely dislike Dave Grohl but he doesn't half make it easy. When he shows up as the devil in that shit Jack Black film, my dear god in heaven.

Blue Jam

Dave Grohl always comes across as a thoroughly nice chap. It's just a shame I'm totally indifferent to the Foo Fighters and this looks terrible.

Saw the Foo Fighters at a festival once. All I can remember is Dave Grohl asking everyone to stop crowdsurfing and hurting people and to play nice.

the science eel

Egyptian Feast

I like when bands make movies and wish more of them did. It doesn't matter if they're total shite or the film is, it's always a good thing. I'm not a Foo fan and this looks shit, but I'm never going to pass up a horror film with Pat Smear in one of the leading roles. I look forward to filing it in the same HDD folder as S Club Seeing Double, Bula Quo and that one with Lindsey Lohan and McFly.

I saw Foo Fighters for free at whatever Wembley show Jimmy Page & John Paul Jones guested at from a corporate box, but was so hammered and had seen so many subpar support acts (including, disappointingly, Supergrass in their going through the motions phase) by the time they showed up, I spent most of the show just having a laugh with a colleague, the only other person from the company who bothered taking the free ticket. I can't remember anything about it other than the Led Zeppelin bit and Dave Grohl running up and down a platform a lot. Great night though, and not as catastrophic as the AC/DC freebie where I lost my house keys, kicked in my front door and fell asleep on the landing.

JamesTC

I saw it on Friday. I like the Foo Fighters. It wasn't very good. But if you like the Foo Fighters then you'll get a little out of it. The lack of actual Foo Fighters music until the end credits (aside from Whitney Cummings singing Best of You) is strange.

It opens with a caption saying 1993. I couldn't remember when Kurt Cobain died. For a second, I thought they were genuinely going to open with his death being some demonic influence.

The best bit is when a fan tells Grohl that Foo Fighters are his second favourite band after
Spoiler alert
Coldplay.
[close]

touchingcloth

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on February 27, 2022, 04:45:53 PMI like when bands make movies and wish more of them did. It doesn't matter if they're total shite or the film is, it's always a good thing.

Just bands, or any category of people?

I like when MSPs make movies and wish more of them did. It doesn't matter if they're total shite or the film is, it's always a good thing.

I like when toddlers make movies and wish more of them did. It doesn't matter if they're total shite or the film is, it's always a good thing.

I like when junior doctors make movies and wish more of them did. It doesn't matter if they're total shite or the film is, it's always a good thing.

I like when amateur filmmakers make movies and wish more of them did. It doesn't matter if they're total shite or the film is, it's always a good thing.

Egyptian Feast

Specifically musical bands. The other examples you gave would be interesting and I would encourage it, but would not give them the full blessing I would a film where, say, Pete Doherty runs a bar in space.

touchingcloth

How about Frankie Valli dealing coke in Hounslow?

Egyptian Feast

That's a better idea than the one I used as a hypothetical example (it's less derivative of The Adventures Of Pluto Nash for a start) and had he not died in 2014 I would be an enthusiastic supporter of the project.

Egyptian Feast

You said Pete Seeger originally, but I think Frankie Valli is a better fit anyway and also not dead yet.

Egyptian Feast

Mind you, it would still have to be a tie-in somehow to his work with the Four Seasons even if he was playing a drug dealer in Hounslow. If I accepted everything featuring musicians turned actors, I'd have to give a free pass to films featuring Sting or fucking Buster or what have you. I have to draw the line somewhere.

touchingcloth

Peter Seeger was too obviously unconsciously inspired by your Pete Doherty, so he had to get in his little box.

Timmy Mallet trafficking children through an Oblast?