Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:39:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better dead than red?

Started by Jockice, January 12, 2022, 11:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jockice on January 13, 2022, 10:39:01 AMTell me about it! Or rather don't. Want a fight?

I live in Scotland and if anything people here are much more laidback than Londoners. I haven't noticed Scots being especially angry at all, but that's probably because I don't take the piss out of them for being Scottish.

Can relate, as a Welsh person. English people don't think we're angry though, just backward and stupid and sexually attracted to sheep. Never had any of that in Scotland, again probably because Scots get enough of that lazy "banter" from the English themselves.

TheGingerAlien

Jockice

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on January 13, 2022, 10:34:50 AMBack when I was a kid I remember this dead cunt encouraging his listeners to ring in with their tales of how gingers are disgusting.  He had a bunch of hairdressers call in and say 'it smelled weird' and that redheads are freaks.  Cool thing for a kid to hear.

He had the same name as my best mate at school AND someone I used to have dealings with on the local disabilty scene. Apart from that he is a dead cunt though.

Kankurette

How is it racism? Unless you mean it's anti-Scottish/Irish sentiment?

Bluejam, one reason why I learned Welsh on Duolingo was because of crap like that. 'Hurr hurr the Welsh like bestiality and rugby and their language has consonants'.

Blue Jam

Just bumped the PHWOARGH thread with a few gingers, in solidarity like.

the Fallen

Quote from: Kankurette on January 13, 2022, 10:49:43 AMHow is it racism? Unless you mean it's anti-Scottish/Irish sentiment?

It's something about the human race that isn't a choice which gets mocked, although by that reasoning maybe I should stop complaining people are innately capable of being hateful cowardly bigots

Jockice

Quote from: Kankurette on January 13, 2022, 10:49:43 AMHow is it racism? Unless you mean it's anti-Scottish/Irish sentiment?

That's exactly what I mean. Lest we forget I am not only red-haired but a Scot whose family moved to England as a child. So I know from experience that the two forms of prejudice often go hand-in-hand. Plus, just like all redheads don't come from the same racial background, neither do black or Asian people. So as far as I'm concerned if you see a redhead and feel compelled to insult them because of that then you're EXACTLY the same sort of person who would like to make an insulting comment about someone's skin colour. But in most cases won't because there would be consequences.

Blue Jam

Bluejam, one reason why I learned Welsh on Duolingo was because of crap like that. 'Hurr hurr the Welsh like bestiality and rugby and their language has consonants'.

As I've said before, a lot of people seem to believe that the further you get from the M25, the more backward and savage people are. Not just the Scots and Welsh and Irish, but also people from the West Country, the North East and North West. And the Midlands for that matter. Anyone with an accent that isn't Estuary English ahahaha don't they sound funny?

tbh I do see the anti-ginger prejudice as a bit racist given how that particular hair colour is so much more common in Ireland and Scotland. It's just the Celticness of it, the non-Anglo Saxon-ness, that people might see if they stopped and thought about why they find ginger hair so funny and/or abhorrent.

Jockice

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 13, 2022, 10:51:20 AMJust bumped the PHWOARGH thread with a few gingers, in solidarity like.

Am I in it? If not why not? I have a girlfriend you know.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 13, 2022, 10:45:38 AMEnglish people don't think we're angry though, just backward and stupid and sexually attracted to sheep. Never had any of that in Scotland, again probably because Scots get enough of that lazy "banter" from the English themselves.

English people think the French are a bunch of STD ridden, perverted, cheese eating surrender-monkeys, that piss in the street whilst riding around on their girls bikes scoffing onions and wearing garlands of garlic (going ohheeeohhheeeohhh).

English people also often forget that they are French themselves.

If there is one thing we have learnt in modern times it is that English people should not be taken seriously.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jockice on January 13, 2022, 10:58:33 AMAm I in it? If not why not? I have a girlfriend you know.

Just don't wanna doxx you, like. Don't want to get caught out again, do you? ;)

Jockice

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 13, 2022, 11:00:38 AMJust don't wanna doxx you, like. Don't want to get caught out again, do you? ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Next it'll be a free poster of me on my school's Facebook page.

Kankurette

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 13, 2022, 10:58:49 AMEnglish people think the French are a bunch of STD ridden, perverted, cheese eating surrender-monkeys, that piss in the street whilst riding around on their girls bikes scoffing onions and wearing garlands of garlic (going ohheeeohhheeeohhh).

If there is one thing we have learnt in modern times it is that English people should not be taken seriously.
Oh G-d the 'French people are cowards' thing. Hate that so much. I remember someone either on Grand Old Team or Twitter being called 'Morgan Schneiderlin's Yellow Streak' because lol he's French so that means he's a coward. What are the French Resistance, we just don't know. And plenty of English people piss in the street, as anyone who's been out in Manchester on a Friday night will know.

On the subject of English football fans, they're so weird about Iberians. Calling people like Roberto Martinez and Rafa Benitez 'greasy', 'oily', 'garlic-breathed', 'waiters' etc. because waiter is the only job in Spain. Of all Everton's managers, the one that makes me think of the word 'oily' isn't Martinez, it's the very English Sam Allardyce. Poor old Marco Silva got it as well.

Quote from: Jockice on January 13, 2022, 08:20:07 AMHere is is. Neil Kulkarni of all people. Although, like Clatty, my recollection was that the whole review was just about her hair colour. And he now admits it was racist, as did Simon Price - a natural redhead I believe - when he edited the letters page after the review appeared, but also said it was funny - it wasn't particularly - and that redheads don't get it as bad as black people. I sort of agree with him on that, but what us lot have to put up with is racism-lite, the racism you can get away with.

I don't know why I, too, remembered the whole review as being about her hair colour. Possibly I was getting it mixed up with a notorious Cranberries album review that was just a long ad hominem attack, and possibly because the section about red hair is so 'how the fuck did that ever get published?' that the rest of the review just fades into the background.

Kankurette

Is Tori even a natural redhead? (Marilyn Manson is, but you probably all know that anyway.)

I wonder how much abuse Shirley Manson got for her hair.

Quote from: Kankurette on January 13, 2022, 11:16:28 AMOn the subject of English football fans, they're so weird about Iberians. Calling people like Roberto Martinez and Rafa Benitez 'greasy', 'oily', 'garlic-breathed', 'waiters' etc. because waiter is the only job in Spain. Of all Everton's managers, the one that makes me think of the word 'oily' isn't Martinez, it's the very English Sam Allardyce. Poor old Marco Silva got it as well.

Big Sam is actually more Scottish than Rod Stewart, as both of Big Sam's parents were Scottish whereas only one of Rod's was.

robhug

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 13, 2022, 10:58:49 AMEnglish people think the French are a bunch of STD ridden, perverted, cheese eating surrender-monkeys, that piss in the street whilst riding around on their girls bikes scoffing onions and wearing garlands of garlic (going ohheeeohhheeeohhh).

the english are pretty appalling to most people but I find the visceral hatred of the French quite intriguing. I think it all boils down to the French being totally ambivalent to them, which winds them up absolutely no end. Theres nothing worse than being ignored etc.

Kankurette

I thought the anti-French thing was long-standing and dated back to medieval times.

Jockice

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on January 13, 2022, 11:19:07 AM
I don't know why I, too, remembered the whole review as being about her hair colour. Possibly I was getting it mixed up with a notorious Cranberries album review that was just a long ad hominem attack, and possibly because the section about red hair is so 'how the fuck did that ever get published?' that the rest of the review just fades into the background.

By Everett True I believe. Who was quite supportive of the band until they became successful and then really turned on them and particularly her. Of course he was very sympathetic when she died.

Ah, here it is. Taylor Parkes was involved too. https://archivedmusicpress.wordpress.com/2009/02/08/everett-true-interviews-the-cranberries-26th-october-1991/

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on January 13, 2022, 11:20:21 AMIs Tori even a natural redhead? (Marilyn Manson is, but you probably all know that anyway.)

As was Marilyn Monroe, fittingly enough.

(Christina Hendricks is a natural blonde as you probably all knew also)

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on January 13, 2022, 11:16:28 AM'waiters' etc. because waiter is the only job in Spain.

I think the waiter thing is about Waxwork Reni non?

Blue Jam

Jockice, do you realise you started this thread on Kiss A Ginger Day?

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/kiss-a-ginger-day/

Kankurette

Virtual tongues for Jockice, everyone!

ETA: of course Everett True was being a giant cunt about Dolores O'Riordan. Of course he was.

Jockice

Quote from: Kankurette on January 13, 2022, 11:16:28 AMO
On the subject of English football fans, they're so weird about Iberians. Calling people like Roberto Martinez and Rafa Benitez 'greasy', 'oily', 'garlic-breathed', 'waiters' etc. because waiter is the only job in Spain. Of all Everton's managers, the one that makes me think of the word 'oily' isn't Martinez, it's the very English Sam Allardyce. Poor old Marco Silva got it as well.

Those words make me think of Bryan Ferry, who is as English as roast beef. And who I found repulsive as a child and still do.

Kankurette

Jockice

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 13, 2022, 12:07:20 PMJockice, do you realise you started this thread on Kiss A Ginger Day?

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/kiss-a-ginger-day/

I didn't at the time (the article was printed the day before I posted it) but was later told. Nobody kissed me yesterday. I think I probably kissed my cat at some point but she's a brown tabby so doesn't count.

So come on, get your tongues out, get your tongues out, get your tongues out for this lad. GET YOUR TONGUES OUT FOR THIS LAD.

Kankurette

I hope Gary gets the memo, there's an evil ginger and white cat in my neighbourhood and I know he's in my garden when I hear Angry Cat Noises and repeated catflap banging. (Gary is not a ginger-ist. He hates all cats equally.)

Blue Jam

*mwah*  - - - >  jockice

Is it still alright to mock Sean Dyche for his DISC BEARD? Its gingerness is irrelevant, it's the perfect circularity that is the notable thing.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Kankurette on January 13, 2022, 10:13:31 AMRedheads are not a race, so I don't get how attacking people for having red hair is racist.
Let's not split hairs.

Quote from: Kankurette on January 13, 2022, 10:13:31 AMyou can dye or shave your hair.
Or, if you were in America, go to one of those "singe away the ginge" camps they have.

The Bumlord

A lovely lady redhead is the best thing in the world and that's all I'll say on the matter thank you