Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:14:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

L'Origine du monde (Dear Mother, 2020) - One of the best comedies in ages

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 13, 2022, 02:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

An adaptation of an apparently very well known play which is based on the famous painting of the same name, this is now on Netflix but I hope that doesn't potentially put anyone off, and I think they just bought the distribution rights anyway.

It centres around how fortysomething lawyer Jean-Louis one day notices that his heart has stopped beating,
Spoiler alert
and after consulting a vet friend and speaking to his wife's lifestyle guru Margaux, he believes he has three days to either see or take a picture of his elderly mother's vagina or he will die. Despite the fantastical set up it's grounded in reality, as it mixes farce with a hint of comedy of manners and makes a fair few observations about the lives of these individuals, and it plays out perfectly,
[close]
this is one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time.

In a very slight, minor way, it occasionally reminded me of a French version of Seinfeld, albeit without a Kramer type figure,
Spoiler alert
and not just because one of the characters looks a little George-esque, and that's meant as a compliment of the highest order too as the three main leads do their very best to carry out the ridiculous plans they devise.
[close]
It's best watched going in knowing as little as possible, hence why I've put a lot of it in spoiler tags, and I really think this is an absolute must see, I know that my overhyping it might lead to high expectations but I'd be very surprised if this doesn't make it in to my Top 10 favourite films of the year come the end of December. 9.0/10

Herbert Ashe

I watched this based off your Seinfeld comment, and watching it with that floating around in my head enhanced my enjoyment of it a lot, certainly for the interaction of the couple when not-George was around (him condescending towards him, her on the verge of antagonism, at least here and there).

Seinfeldy moments I liked because of that:

Spoiler alert
Knowing too much about Stockholm Syndrome
Not-George, resigned to himself: "I should have said I liked the taffeta [sp?]
Also, just him being a vet (and not a doctor/dentist) added to the dynamic in the right way
[close]

...and if only it had ended:

Spoiler alert
on freeze frame of not-Jerry running off to get his vag pic
[close]

Pink Gregory

ooh, will have a look at this.  Never hear about the non-English things on Netflix but saw a really good Brazilian xmas film a few years ago, so they're in there.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Herbert Ashe on January 14, 2022, 09:41:34 AMI watched this based off your Seinfeld comment, and watching it with that floating around in my head enhanced my enjoyment of it a lot, certainly for the interaction of the couple when not-George was around (him condescending towards him, her on the verge of antagonism, at least here and there).

Seinfeldy moments I liked because of that:

Spoiler alert
Knowing too much about Stockholm Syndrome
Not-George, resigned to himself: "I should have said I liked the taffeta [sp?]
Also, just him being a vet (and not a doctor/dentist) added to the dynamic in the right way
[close]

...and if only it had ended:

Spoiler alert
on freeze frame of not-Jerry running off to get his vag pic
[close]

I'm glad you enjoyed a fair bit, I might have gone a little over the top in my original post, but I just can't remember the last time a film made me laugh so much. And I know where you're coming from with the ending too,
Spoiler alert
though I was happy with the massive over the top finale that we got.
[close]