Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:43:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dennis from Always Sunny IS Mr Fantastic!

Started by Dr Rock, January 13, 2022, 07:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I've been scrolling through white actors in their forties and only Chris Pine or Jonny Lee Miller as Reed Richards would work for me. 

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It can't be John Krasinski. He's already playing Shazam.

Lord Mandrake

Mr Fantastic's mcu debut
Spoiler alert
is in MoM and it's a varient
[close]

I think they will go for relative unknowns for the 4 and lock them down for a bunch of films.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Can they go with Maria Bamford as Sue Storm and David Cross as The Thing?

Mister Six

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 15, 2022, 03:49:29 PM"Horrible Bosses" is tolerable, and that new one that Charlie Day is in looks alright too.

I thought the first Horrible Bosses was... well, horrible. A really nasty, mean-spirited, misogynistic, spiteful film. But the second (it was a long plane flight and I'd run out of 30 Rock episodes) was, oddly, pretty good fun and a lot more affable. Charlie Day only seems to have one mode that he dials up or down, but it's a funny mode so I'm fine with that.

I hope Caitlyn Olsen gets more work. She's so great. We were watching the episode where Dee's stand-up comedy ambitions are first introduced, and her dry-heaving had us in tears. It's such a nothingy idea without the performance, but she makes it look effortless.

Jerzy Bondov

They've all done pretty well out of Always Sunny, Charlie is in loads of stuff and the other three have all had their own sitcoms. McElhenney and Howerton both had funny recurring roles on The Mindy Project too. I get the impression none of them have to do anything they're not fussed about.

beanheadmcginty

Reed Richards has to be played by a decent comedy performer because his superpower is by quite a long way the most comical of all the superpowers. Treating it seriously just won't work. So if they've cast Dennis then they must have realised this and the film will be great. Comedy Marvel is far more enjoyable than serious Marvel.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 16, 2022, 06:36:38 PMReed Richards has to be played by a decent comedy performer because his superpower is by quite a long way the most comical of all the superpowers. Treating it seriously just won't work. So if they've cast Dennis then they must have realised this and the film will be great. Comedy Marvel is far more enjoyable than serious Marvel.
The few F4 comics I remember reading as a kid always seemed to have the team up to their eyeballs in debt because of Reed's financial incompetence, and him suffering extra guilt on top of that from feeling he has to find a cure for Ben's condition. But I do get that there has to be a knowing absurdity to some bod who can stretch really far calling himself "Mr Fantastic". I mean, in a world that has seen Norse gods, mass alien invasions and giant green rage monsters, he would get the reaction "it's not that Fantastic, mate".

Though your line about comedy Marvel makes me wish again for a GLA film - in which you could also have Flatman, the bargain bin Mr Fantastic.

BritishHobo

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 16, 2022, 10:52:32 PMThe few F4 comics I remember reading as a kid always seemed to have the team up to their eyeballs in debt because of Reed's financial incompetence, and him suffering extra guilt on top of that from feeling he has to find a cure for Ben's condition. But I do get that there has to be a knowing absurdity to some bod who can stretch really far calling himself "Mr Fantastic". I mean, in a world that has seen Norse gods, mass alien invasions and giant green rage monsters, he would get the reaction "it's not that Fantastic, mate".

https://youtu.be/rSMg_GWiBt0

McDead

Quote from: SteveDave on January 15, 2022, 07:51:02 PMI've been scrolling through white actors in their forties and only Chris Pine or Jonny Lee Miller as Reed Richards would work for me. 

Adam Scott would be great, I reckon. Or you could pretty much import the cast of The Good Place (with Jameela Jamil playing She Hulk, not the Thing)

Oddly enough, Jamil is on the upcoming She Hulk show, playing a villain.

Famous Mortimer

She'd be a great She-Hulk, but I'd be interested in that show.

I rather liked the She-Hulk fan film that a former CaBber made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg-Ch0fB7QU

brat-sampson

Stephen Colbert is the best Mr Fantastic and he already did it in Venture Bros.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 16, 2022, 11:23:38 PMhttps://youtu.be/rSMg_GWiBt0
Heh, I guess I shouldn't be surprised someone would have mined that one for a comedy sketch. Good stuff, though. I suppose we can excuse Stan Lee/Jack Kirby, as they were written before just about every other Marvel character.

Replies From View

Dr Rock

Regarding Norm's fine point about Mr Fantastic's name, what would be better? Plastic-Man had already been taken (as had Human Torch btw, but Lee & Kirby just reused it anyway) as Had Elastic Man and Elongated Man (over at DC) - so what's a better name? Metamorpho would be good ( a couple of years before DC thought it up) -  but really it should include 'Stretch' as that's what he does. SO, what's best (feel free to add your own:

Stretch
Stretcho
Mr Stretch
Professor Stretch
Stretcher-case Baby
Stretch-Man
Captain Stretch
Stretch Wonder
Super-Strencher

Magnum Valentino

None of those is as good as the one I've just come up with, which is THE LONG GENIUS