Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:41:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Veggie Option

Started by seepage, January 14, 2022, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retsuza

I don't think you need to necessarily be hardline vegan who only eats food from 100% vegan companies, there's personal benefit to eating more vegetarian or vegan even if you are technically supporting meat megacorporations.

Speaking of, I tried the McPlant this weekend

(not my photo)

It was pretty good, but I think I'd still prefer the beef offerings, especially since the McPlant is more expensive currently. It came with ketchup, mustard AND "Sandwich sauce", which I think is the tangy off-orange sauce they use in the big mac? Still I'm not sure if three different sauces are usually included in a burger this size, might be a clue about the dryness of the patty compared to its fleshy counterpart.

JaDanketies

I had the McPlant but wasn't particularly impressed, although it shits all over the goujons they used to have. Burger King's options are far more substantial. Plant-based double-whopper actually feels like a meal. I've long thought Burger King was better actually, so long as you're not squeamish about 'cross-contamination', even back when the only BK option was the spicy bean burger.

TrenterPercenter

Made Mapo Tofu tonight.  Absolute winner (that my other half took a picture of with her fancy phone).  You'll need some Chinese ingredients but really worth it.

Good recipe here.

veggie Mapo tofu

Pink Gregory

ooh, I'm interested in fermented black beans, I have a vegan korean cookbook that mentions them as a core ingredient.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 02, 2022, 08:17:12 PMooh, I'm interested in fermented black beans, I have a vegan korean cookbook that mentions them as a core ingredient.

100% get some, very versatile, not expensive and keep well.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 14, 2022, 11:01:14 PMHad some Sainsbury's "Plant Pioneers" stuff this evening some hot & spicy goujons which I think were jackfruit and mushroom and buffalo NO wings which were seitan and mushroom.

Both decent enough; nothing like the chicken they were meant to emulate but the were tasty enough covered in hot sauce.

Imagine being the person that invented goujons. Life would be like playing with all the cheats on after that

TrenterPercenter

I would settle for being the inventors of this brand of tofu

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 19, 2022, 09:49:42 PMI've eaten doner kebab out of the bin.

Didn't George Melly once have to explain to judge that this meant cunnilingus?

I once went to a birthday meal where the vegetarian birthday girl had been strong armed into booking a Mongolian restaurant whose USP was it's buffet of exotic animals. When she phoned she asked would there be a vegetarian option, and they assured her there was. Turns out that was plain boiled noodles. Technically, they were correct, but a more honest answer would have been "No."

gib

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 24, 2022, 10:10:24 AMIsn't it a bit odd to buy vegetarian/ vegan produce made by companies who make most of their money from selling meat? I guess if you follow the ownership of companies then most will have some link to the meat industry but it seems a bit odd to me to be going in to McDonalds for a vegeburger or buying Richmonds veg sausages. Then again, I really like Heck's vegan sausages so I'm obviously full of shit (and sausages).

i like to think it's all making vegan more normal than when i first heard about it in Just Good Friends.