Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:35:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Movie Question For The Ladies

Started by MortSahlFan, January 15, 2022, 08:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Which movies do you think have the best social commentary on women, as well as a good/great movie.

If you have time, it would be really cool to name a a movie older than 40 years, and something modern.

chveik

Avril Lavigne

Which modern and older-than-40-years movies do you think have the best social commentary on men?

chveik

Mobius

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on January 15, 2022, 09:53:11 PMWhich modern and older-than-40-years movies do you think have the best social commentary on men?

Good question. Start the thread, and I'll try to think of some.

MortSahlFan

I'd like to add that I'm sure we have members from all over the world, and listing foreign movies would be icing on the cake, because I think one can learn a little about the country itself, what they value, perception, as well as documenting the change in film-making over the years.

Famous Mortimer

chveik

greenman

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on January 15, 2022, 09:53:11 PMWhich modern and older-than-40-years movies do you think have the best social commentary on men?

Which well known 70's films arent a commentary on men?

MortSahlFan

Quote from: greenman on January 16, 2022, 08:38:03 AMWhich well known 70's films arent a commentary on men?

A Woman Under The Influence
Sunflower
Wanda
and probably many more. I doubt the average male is like the one represented in "Harry And Tonto" (Art Carney's character) or "The Godfather" - which are more like one in a million types.

greenman

Quote from: MortSahlFan on January 16, 2022, 01:33:15 PMA Woman Under The Influence
Sunflower
Wanda
and probably many more. I doubt the average male is like the one represented in "Harry And Tonto" (Art Carney's character) or "The Godfather" - which are more like one in a million types.

I mean there obviously are a few(although those are getting towards the more obscure) but I would say that generally new Hollywood tended to be very much focused on stories of male neurosis.

I think A Woman Under The Influence actually contains quite a lot of shrewd commentary on masculinity in the form of Peter Falk's character, and the Michael/Fredo relationship in the Godfathers is fraternal competitiveness and insecurity down to a T. And surely Mastroianni's betrayal of Loren in Sunflower says something about the obligation between the sexes that counts as commentary? Difficult to think of any Mastroianni film after La Dolce Vita that isn't some kind of commentary on his screen image and the particular kind of masculinity he presents

GoblinAhFuckScary

You ought to watch The Watermelon Woman by Cheryl Dunye and Wings by Larisa Shepitko, to drop two rando filmus

*chefs kiss*

Crenners

touchingcloth

Quote from: MortSahlFan on January 15, 2022, 08:58:48 PMWhich movies do you think have the best social commentary on women, as well as a good/great movie.

If you have time, it would be really cool to name a a movie older than 40 years, and something modern.

I'm confused. Are you after one recommendation, or four?

beanheadmcginty

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: greenman on January 16, 2022, 08:38:03 AMWhich well known 70's films arent a commentary on men?

Which well known things aren't a commentary on men?

The Mollusk