Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:42:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Help me to understand the infection rate stats

Started by Proactive, January 16, 2022, 10:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proactive

The weekly ONS stats say 1 in 15 people in England have it, although it's more like 1 in 25 in my region.

However, the gov.uk website's local summary for my postal district shows 853 cases per 100,000,which is 1 in 117.

So what's going on? How do the methodologies differ and which one should I be more mindful of?

Zetetic

One is based on broadly random sampling and the other is based on self-selecting testing and reporting.

You probably shouldn't be thinking about any of this.

Proactive

Quote from: Zetetic on January 16, 2022, 10:17:45 AMOne is based on broadly random sampling and the other is based on self-selecting testing and reporting.

You probably shouldn't be thinking about any of this.

That's what I thought, but why don't I deserve to understand the difference?

Zetetic

Free your mind of the idea of deserving and you will begin to be able to think.

(This is not a guarantee.)

Proactive

Wow, what a fucking cock. What do you suppose my motives are here?

SpiderChrist

Proactive

Is the assumption that I'm some covid denier or something? Genuinely don't understand why I shouldn't be curious about the difference in the way the stats are reported. Why wouldn't a person noticed the difference and want to understand why?

vanilla.coffee

This Doctor man always follows data. Good stats at the start of this video.
Some reassuring comments from this Doctor man.

https://youtu.be/U3W84wb5jKo

Interesting comparison with Scotlands strategy compared with England early in the video.

Hope it helps Mr Proactive sir.

Quote from: Proactive on January 16, 2022, 10:01:44 AMThe weekly ONS stats say 1 in 15 people in England have it, although it's more like 1 in 25 in my region.

However, the gov.uk website's local summary for my postal district shows 853 cases per 100,000,which is 1 in 117.

So what's going on? How do the methodologies differ and which one should I be more mindful of?