Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:39:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pandemic has made the world's richest much richer

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 17, 2022, 09:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe pandemic has made the world's wealthiest far richer but has led to more people living in poverty, according to the charity Oxfam.

Lower incomes for the world's poorest contributed to the death of 21,000 people each day, its report claims.

But the world's 10 richest men have more than doubled their collective fortunes since March 2020, Oxfam said...

Oxfam is also calling for the intellectual property rights on Covid-19 vaccines to be waived to enable wider production and faster distribution.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60015294

I would put this in the worst responses thread but I think it deserves its own topic - it would also be interesting to see how many executives of private medical companies have made lots of money in the pandemic.

Then there is the whole question of whether contracts for medical supplies etc were awarded correctly in the UK or whether it was affected by people's connections.

katzenjammer

Apart from anything else it's just so pointless having more of something you already have so much that you couldn't possibly use it in your lifetime.

Fambo Number Mive

It does annoy me how much pressure there is on the average person to give to charity/play the lottery/go back to working in the office to help High Street shops while those at the very top just continue to hoard their wealth. Like with a few people owning large amounts of land in the UK, it seems to be taken for granted by a lot of people (not on here) that a few people have most of the wealth and that is fine.

Crenners

Good on em. Nice to hear that some folk have emerged from this awful time with a spring in their step. Inspiring.