Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:26:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curved Monitors

Started by Thursday, January 19, 2022, 06:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Been thinking about getting a monitor upgrade and been pondering these as they seem pretty common now. Does anyone  have any experience with them? Are they actually any good. Do they feel odd at first? Is it alright for games, but weird for general web browsing?

When my monitor died recently, I would have taken a chance on one of these if it hadn't been curved - https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g7-lc32g75t

A nice vibrant VA panel but fast enough not to be gash for gaming by all accounts.

Even if I ended up sending it back, I'd liked to have seen if it was decent!

I play shmups so anything that was gonna make me second guess a bullets trajectory was a big no-no.

I imagine it's OK for most 3d games and makes it feel slightly more immersive, but yeah, like you say, anything flat and 2d, including anything you're doing on your desktop, I wonder if it's something you get used to or if it's always an annoying distraction.

edit: Hmm, a couple of comments on that page makes it sound pretty crappy for anything other than playing games.

Quote"I have been using this monitor for working from home for about a month and for me it is not great for the purpose. The curve is distracting while working on spreadsheets, and generally makes things look a bit distorted. There is an option to have the monitor treat itself as 2 discrete displays which I found worse than using it as one big screen.

Basically this monitor is amazing for gaming, but not good for other applications."

Quote"Its garbage for anything other than gaming.  Also, the curve is making me want to puke, so I'm sending mine back.  That said, the monitor appears to have no dead pixels and its beautiful for gaming (assuming you don't get vertigo).  I'm keeping my Dell UltraSharp 3014 and sending this back.

Not sure where I find a large monitor that allows me to work and game with a high refresh rate."

Zetetic

I have a Samsung C32HG70 which I'm extremely happy with it for gaming, web browsing and some programming, noting that probably part of that is tied up with getting it relatively cheap. I don't find the curve at all distracting but I cannot work out why or how someone would, so perhaps I'm missing the point.

Things that are more annoying:
- the actual 'HDR' bit of it (rather than stuff like the colorspace that gets bundled under the term) is as poor as I thought it would be
- I have hacked together a script to change its brightness over the course of the day, and its DDC stuff is weirdly unrobust.