Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fun history game

Started by Gurke and Hare, January 20, 2022, 10:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

Very surprised to find out Lindisfarne was created in 1869; Wikipedia says it has a recorded history going back to the 6th century!

ElTwopo

Quote from: icehaven on January 21, 2022, 04:25:49 PMHmm, just lost a life for putting two things it said happened in 2005 next to each other. Presumably it didn't like the order I used.

Yeah that happened to me too, annoyingly.

Also Mount Olympus was formed in 1938, in case any of you get that one.

Captain Z

A two-word Latin name that "belonged to the [more Latin]" and a picture of what looked like a fossil. Could have been a creature, an event, an art movement, who knows. Ended sometime in the 1800s apparently.

Dex Sawash

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: buttgammon on January 21, 2022, 08:09:14 PMVery surprised to find out Lindisfarne was created in 1869; Wikipedia says it has a recorded history going back to the 6th century!
Just checked the Wikipedia page, and "1869" doesn't appear on there at all. Curious.

chveik

the big bang happened in 1931 apparently

Ferris

Quote from: buttgammon on January 21, 2022, 08:09:14 PMVery surprised to find out Lindisfarne was created in 1869; Wikipedia says it has a recorded history going back to the 6th century!

Skellig Michael is even older, dating all the way back to 1821!

dissolute ocelot

Pedro II of Brazil came to the throne aged 5 in 1831 and led Brazil through a late 19th century golden age. Never heard of him.

buttgammon

I never knew the bicycle was discovered in 1885. How did nobody see one before?

Ferris

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 22, 2022, 02:12:05 AMJust checked the Wikipedia page, and "1869" doesn't appear on there at all. Curious.

Did the same for Skellig Michael and there's no 1821 on there so what's going on.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 22, 2022, 02:12:05 AMJust checked the Wikipedia page, and "1869" doesn't appear on there at all. Curious.
Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens was born in 1869. While he appears to be principally remembered for his role in designing and building New Delhi, in 1901 he oversaw the extensive refurbishment of Lindisfarne Castle which is briefly mentioned on his wiki page.
So possibly that.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Ferris on January 22, 2022, 12:35:58 PMDid the same for Skellig Michael and there's no 1821 on there so what's going on.
Lighthouse construction began in 1821 so it seems to be grabbing that from somewhere.

Ferris

Quote from: Sherman Krank on January 22, 2022, 12:44:38 PMLighthouse construction began in 1821 so it seems to be grabbing that from somewhere.

Ah! A promising lead on solving this, thanks!

The article header was "UNESCO heritage site Skellig Michael" but UNESCO didn't exist until the 1940s. Is the lighthouse a UNESCO heritage site? And it was constructed in the 1820s and later became a protected site?

Either way, that's not fair, game.

buttgammon

Quote from: Sherman Krank on January 22, 2022, 12:37:03 PMArchitect Sir Edwin Lutyens was born in 1869. While he appears to be principally remembered for his role in designing and building New Delhi, in 1901 he oversaw the extensive refurbishment of Lindisfarne Castle which is briefly mentioned on his wiki page.
So possibly that.

Ahh, that would explain it!

zomgmouse

Quote from: ElTwopo on January 21, 2022, 08:18:04 PMYeah that happened to me too, annoyingly.

Also Mount Olympus was formed in 1938, in case any of you get that one.

Had this one and went to check what the deal was there - apparently it was the national park that opened then.

Bit iffy at times but I have now managed to set my personal best of TWENTY-THREE

buttgammon

Another one said the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle was written in the first century. If I ever want to give one of my medievalist  acquaintances an aneurysm, I'll send them the link.

Blue Jam

It just asked me when Charles The Bald was born. I think it's trolling us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_the_Bald

Best streak for me is 13.