Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:48:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rachel Nagy of Detroit Cobras died

Started by Greg Torso, January 21, 2022, 09:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Torso

I realise Meat Loaf is hogging the grief light at the moment, but damn, this news sucks. Amazing voice, and a great party band.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/the-detroit-cobras-rachel-nagy-rip/

jobotic

Oh fuck. Loved those first two albums and yeah, what a voice. When Ronnie Spector died He Did It was my go to song and I only know it because of the fabulous DC cover.

Managed to see them in London around that time and not convinced they were feeling it but she had a quite a presence.

non capisco

I played their 'Life, Love and Leaving' and 'Mink Rat Or Rabbit' albums to death around 2004/5 after someone on here linked to their excellent version of Otis Redding's 'Shout Bamalama'. I loved her nicotine and honey vocals from that first listen, listen to her on It's Raining for cryin out loud. Sheeesh. RIP. This sucks.

Shaky

Ever since I first heard it on a Kerrang CD comp, Hey Sailor has been a mainstay of my playlists. RIP.

And fucking hell - just saw she was only 37, which is absolutely insane!

jobotic

Have you heard the original?

It's a great pastime, looking up the songs they've covered

Greg Torso

Quote from: jobotic on January 22, 2022, 08:49:27 AMIt's a great pastime, looking up the songs they've covered

Years ago, I downloaded a bootleg compilation from some music blog titled "Songs We Taught The Detroit Cobras" which has all the originals of everything they covered. It's a damn good comp, and (without clogging up thread with inbedded videos), these two are probably my favs

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I posted this sad news in the celebrity death thread on GB last week, y'know.

The Detroit Cobras were a fucking great band, and Rachel Nagy was a fucking great vocalist. I remember seeing them live in Barcelona, getting invited backstage by a member of one of the support acts, and having a grand old chat with the lady herself. Now it transpires she was able to breakaway from this mortal coil.
:(

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Shaky on January 22, 2022, 01:33:08 AMEver since I first heard it on a Kerrang CD comp, Hey Sailor has been a mainstay of my playlists. RIP.

And fucking hell - just saw she was only 37, which is absolutely insane!

She has to have been older than that, I doubt she was laying down the vocals on the Cobras' first recording when she was 15.

jobotic

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 22, 2022, 09:43:24 AMI posted this sad news in the celebrity death thread on GB last week, y'know.

The Detroit Cobras were a fucking great band, and Rachel Nagy was a fucking great vocalist. I remember seeing them live in Barcelona, getting invited backstage by a member of one of the support acts, and having a grand old chat with the lady herself. Now it transpires she was able to breakaway from this mortal coil.
:(

Well who reads that? That's a great story though.

And Irma Thomas posted above - marvellous. Look up her Time Is On My Side if you don't know it

Shaky

Quote from: jobotic on January 22, 2022, 08:49:27 AMHave you heard the original?

It's a great pastime, looking up the songs they've covered

No, I hadn't heard that - unsurprisingly great as well!

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 22, 2022, 09:45:59 AMShe has to have been older than that, I doubt she was laying down the vocals on the Cobras' first recording when she was 15.

That's the age coming up most places online but I saw a 47 elsewhere, which sounds more realistic.