Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Derry Girls Series 3

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 05, 2022, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 22, 2022, 08:57:30 PMHorses for courses and all that but this seems like a bonkers criticism, their overacting has been a key part of the joy of this show from the very first episode.

Yes, but in this series, they're OVERoveracting. This 3rd series seems a bit tired, to be honest.

Utter Shit

I dunno if I'm just so pleased to have it back I can overlook any slight downturn in quality, but I've loved the two episodes so far. Although the mum storyline with the engineer was very obvious.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 20, 2022, 08:42:22 PMWhen does Children in Need happen, is it early February? If so then
Spoiler alert
the IRA are going to resume setting bombs off in about a week so that could ratchet up the tension for the rest of the series.
[close]

EDIT: no, that's bollocks isn't it, Who Do You Think You Are was 1997 so it can't be 1996.

Who Do You Think You Are? was released 3/3/1997 and CIN was on 21/11/97.

petril

Who Do You Think You Are? was for Comic Relief that year

I only remember because it was just before my first exams and coincided with my first mad Sim City phase

MigraineBoy

A lot less gurning tonight.

Utter Shit

Brilliant again. Such fantastic, manic energy. Was good to see Sinead Keenan, she was great in the unjustly forgotten earlier Lisa McGee show London Irish.

dead-ced-dead

Really liked this episode. Great set-up, good jokes.

Malcy

Retinend

Quote from: Jockice on April 20, 2022, 09:01:45 AMI think we've now officially entered series three of The Inbetweeners territory here.

Exactly. I just watched the train episode. It could have been an episode of any other sitcom, with the same script.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Was the train conductor meant to be a bit weird in the head? I thought he was just an officious berk at first, but then there was that standoff with the toothbrush and banana.

Des Wigwam

Is this the first series they have had cameos? Liam Neeson I recognised of course and he's a big name but the friend and the train conductor I think are also quite well known in NI. That always feels like a slippery slope for quality to me.

Enjoyed the episode but something like Bridget and Eamon might have made something less generic of it, I feel (I know that's the ROI).

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Malcy on April 29, 2022, 09:57:46 PM45 min special called 'The Agreement' to air a few days after the last episode.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/comedy/derry-girls-bonus-episode-finale-newsupdate/amp/

Just to balance out my negativity - really pleased to hear this and I will be sad when it's all done.

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 01, 2022, 05:11:47 PMIs this the first series they have had cameos? Liam Neeson I recognised of course and he's a big name but the friend and the train conductor I think are also quite well known in NI. That always feels like a slippery slope for quality to me.

The woman in the ticket office, who was giving out too much information in her phone call, was played by Amy Huberman, who is quite a well known actor/writer in Ireland - wrote and starred in a sitcom of her own there, and has written a couple of novels. Don't think she's been in much British TV but she had a semi-regular role in a series of 'Cold Feet' a few years ago.

Malcy

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 01, 2022, 05:17:56 PMJust to balance out my negativity - really pleased to hear this and I will be sad when it's all done.

Same. I saw that and thought it was some sort of end of series retrospective cast interview type thing and was delighted to see it was an actual proper episode.

The Lurker

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 01, 2022, 05:11:47 PMIs this the first series they have had cameos? Liam Neeson I recognised of course and he's a big name but the friend and the train conductor I think are also quite well known in NI. That always feels like a slippery slope for quality to me.

Ardal O'Hanlon in the second(?) series

I recognised Sinead O'Keenan from Being Human. I don't know how famous she is in Northern Ireland, but I feel like going
from international movie star Liam Neeson to her doesn't exactly signpost a worrying trend.

danwho9

Tonight's was a bit Withnail and I, I thought.

Virgo76

The fortune teller in this week's episode was played by Conleth Hill.
Hill recently played the love interest of the character Brid played by Derry Girls' own Sister Michael, the great Siobhán McSweeney. That was the show, incidentally, in which she broke her leg.
Hill also played the scheming eunuch, Varys in Game of Thrones. Ian McElhinney (Derry Girls' Grandad Joe) also appeared in the fantasy saga as the heroic Barristan Selmy.
Holding was based on the novel by Graham Norton who briefly cameoed in that series as a DJ. Norton appeared as the Bohemian Rhapsody-loving Father Noel Furlong in Father Ted. Father Ted's Mrs Doyle, Pauline McLynn plays local busybody, Eileen O'Driscoll in Holding. As mentioned Ardal O'Hanlon played Dougal in Father Ted and Eamonn in the second series of Derry Girls. Tommy Tiernan who plays Gerry in Derry Girls once played the easily depressed Kevin in Father Ted.
Basically, there are very few people in either Ireland or Northern Ireland, so everyone knows each other.

Malcy

Final special episode to air 18th of May at 9pm.

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 04, 2022, 10:53:34 AMThe fortune teller in this week's episode was played by Conleth Hill.

He was in an episode of Peter Kay's Car Share in fancy dress as a Smurfette too.

Next week's episode is apparently
Spoiler alert
set mostly in the 1970s and is about the Mum and Aunt as teenagers.
[close]

Malcy

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on May 05, 2022, 09:13:16 PMHe was in an episode of Peter Kay's Car Share in fancy dress as a Smurfette too.

Next week's episode is apparently
Spoiler alert
set mostly in the 1970s and is about the Mum and Aunt as teenagers.
[close]

Hang on. That was never the Snurf from Car Share who was also the cop in Holding?

Bonus points if you recognised Mark ? From Lee & Dean as the border Soldier. Criminally underrated show that.

Virgo76

Am surprised nobody's commented on yesterday's episode yet?
Very cleverly done.
A bit of a shame most of the regular cast were not in it.
I'm missing this already.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 11, 2022, 04:02:29 PMAm surprised nobody's commented on yesterday's episode yet?
Very cleverly done.

I think they're saving them for a big blow out considering everything that happened with Michelle, Erin and James in the episode before last.

danwho9

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 11, 2022, 04:02:29 PMAm surprised nobody's commented on yesterday's episode yet?
Very cleverly done.

Not my favourite of the series (that'd probably be the first episode), but yeah definitely a decent concept and had some good laughs, especially from Michelle's mum who 'out-Michelled' Michelle I would say in the flashbacks. Which was of course probably the point.

Malcy

I loved it. The casting was spot on and it took me far too long to realise the Canadian was the 70's version of the Englishman.

I'll miss this when it's gone. I stayed away for a long time for reasons but decided to go for it and binged it all in a day or two. It's really great.

Des Wigwam

I thought it was Ok and good performances all round but those kind of episodes never appeal to me for some reason. Even though the timeline is a bit shot I think this trades a lot on the 90s feel which was lost here. And of course almost no young people in 1977 in the UK or Ireland looked like that but that's just an insurmountable problem (see also It's a Sin).

There seems to be a big call for a spin off series based on the parents as teens. My phone has told me several times that fans are demanding it. Could see that working in its own right - although I am not one of the fans demanding it. Guess you wouldn't get to see Gerry growing up in Navan, unfortunately.

Ex_GC

I don't see the point of a spin off series set in the 70s, surely it would just be the same but with 70s music and clothes instead

Very cleverly done.
It was a decent episode, but clever? Flashback episodes are pretty standard sitcom fare.

Also, why did the young Canadian look older than old Canadian?

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 13, 2022, 12:08:57 PMI don't see the point of a spin off series set in the 70s, surely it would just be the same but with 70s music and clothes instead
I was going to say the same thing. Showing that the mums were once basically the same as their daughters is good for a one-off joke, but a whole series would probably be better with a different dynamic. Then again, I like the show well enough that more of the same wouldn't be a bad thing and they probably can't continue pretending the main cast are teenagers for much longer.

Ex_GC

Part of what made Derry Girls so great is the 90s nostalgia and music. The 90s is far enough away to be retro but still near enough to be nostalgic. Maybe it would work going back twenty years but personally I wouldn't have the same attachment

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 13, 2022, 12:08:57 PMI don't see the point of a spin off series set in the 70s, surely it would just be the same but with 70s music and clothes instead

I also got the impression that Lisa McGee was writing about her own personal experiences rowing up then which gives this an extra charm and authenticity. I understand writers don't have to have lived the experience they write about but a 70s series might not be the same without the personal attachment.