Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:38:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard trial

Started by Barry Admin, April 13, 2022, 06:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Chanel haven't pulled those ads, I see

the science eel

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A friend of mine has an almost cult like devotion to Depp. She still has posters of him on her bedroom wall, despite being married and middle aged. From what I've read here, it does sound like he was more sinned against than sinning, but my friend's flat refusal to even consider the accusations against him is kind of disturbing.

As for the damage to his career, wasn't everyone (aside from my friend) getting sick of him anyway?

Dr Rock

If JK Rowling (JK Rowling) hadn't shit the bed (Amber style) with Fantastic Beasts he could've been back in a major franchise. Otherwise his career has always been patchy in terms of popularity.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Amber Heard's suit today might be the best outfit I've ever seen on anyone

idunnosomename

Quote from: the science eel on April 21, 2022, 01:03:22 PMDior, I mean
i always found it very amusing with those posters when someone stuck an S over the V

willbo

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 20, 2022, 10:25:34 PMHe's always been a bit like that. He's something of a sponge, ingesting and appropriating personality traits and quirks or even manners of speaking from his various idols like Hunter Thompson, Keith Richards, Shane MacGowan (he started adopting an Irish accent in some interviews)

Robert Downey Jr at the end of Tropic Thunder

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 21, 2022, 01:44:32 PMAs for the damage to his career, wasn't everyone (aside from my friend) getting sick of him anyway?

I would say a little bit of stunt casting will get him back on track. Maybe work with Tim Burton again or get cast in the last Tarantino.
Must say, she's coming across as a mental.

Martin Van Buren Stan

That footage of him smashing shit up as she secretly records is quite scary. I don't think he touches her but smashing and banging stuff in front of a spouse can be abusive and threatening.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on April 21, 2022, 09:20:58 PMThat footage of him smashing shit up as she secretly records is quite scary. I don't think he touches her but smashing and banging stuff in front of a spouse can be abusive and threatening.

Yeah, that was one of the first things she released after her initial allegations, before the divorce settlement. It's difficult to say from the video what the lead-up was, but it's clear he was wasted and at his wit's end over something or other. It doesn't make him look good at all.

Here it is, in case others haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhnKxb99Li8

(I hope no footage surfaces of me playing Elden Ring, because it sometimes looks a bit like that!)

---

EDIT: Apparently this video was taken the morning he found out his mum had died, also around the time his ex-manager was found to have embezzled him out of millions of dollars. No excuse to stomp around like a dickhead, but it goes some way to suggesting this wasn't an everyday occurrence.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: the science eel on April 21, 2022, 12:35:07 PMHe's a nice fella easily influenced by bad boys. He reminds me very much of Brando in bits of the televised court appearance.

Didn't he play guitar on some Oasis album or something?
Quote from: JamesTC on April 21, 2022, 12:53:06 PMHe was at Mustique when Noel was there doing demos for Be Here Now. He played the opening to the song Fade In-Out and they ended up using it on the final version as nobody could improve on it.

Two devastating bits of damming with faint praise there

Best guitarist in Oasis, as lovely as Marlon Brando

Lord Mandrake

That video of him pathetically banging some cupboards makes me reapraise his Whitey Bulger performamce favourably, he actually conveyed some menace in Black Mass.

Butchers Blind

Seeing as they're both actors, couldn't they just renact what happened for the court?

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 22, 2022, 11:02:52 AMSeeing as they're both actors, couldn't they just renact what happened for the court?

Ms Heard reacts to the audio of cupboard banging as if she had been shot. Abysmal scenes.

Goldentony

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 22, 2022, 11:02:52 AMSeeing as they're both actors, couldn't they just renact what happened for the court?

"and she asked me to throw the radio in the tub when White Rabbit reached the clima-"

"RABBIT! WHITE RABBIT!"

"YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP AND STAY IN THE DAMN TUB"

Midas

druss

This is the most entertaining thing either of them have ever been involved with. Finale should be a cracker.

Dr Rock

I wonder if Amber's kooky friends will have to testify. Hope so. Also rumours that Elon Musk might testify for Heard.

Pink Gregory

Depp's manner and tone of speaking isn't unlike Garfield

Kelvin

What's Heard's best evidence, her smoking gun that made her think pursuing a case was worthwhile? I went into this assuming they'd both be as bad as each other, but based on the assorted clips i've watched, Depp comes across as a pretentious twat with addiction problems (and many of the problems you'd expect that to entail), whereas Heard comes across as a genuinely abusive, manipulative psycho; the physical attacks she admits in recordings, the shitting in his bed, why on earth would she want to pursue the case if she didn't have something to match such obvious examples of abuse? Have I just not seen her best examples?

phantom_power

Quote from: Kelvin on April 23, 2022, 08:08:14 AMWhat's Heard's best evidence, her smoking gun that made her think pursuing a case was worthwhile?

He is suing her

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Kelvin on April 23, 2022, 08:08:14 AMWhat's Heard's best evidence, her smoking gun that made her think pursuing a case was worthwhile? I went into this assuming they'd both be as bad as each other, but based on the assorted clips i've watched, Depp comes across as a pretentious twat with addiction problems (and many of the problems you'd expect that to entail), whereas Heard comes across as a genuinely abusive, manipulative psycho; the physical attacks she admits in recordings, the shitting in his bed, why on earth would she want to pursue the case if she didn't have something to match such obvious examples of abuse? Have I just not seen her best examples?

Some very shocking language from Depp here

https://youtu.be/VGmTO5DRxII

Kelvin

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on April 23, 2022, 03:11:44 PMSome very shocking language from Depp here

https://youtu.be/VGmTO5DRxII

Ah, I'd heard about the texts with Paul Bettany, but didnt know the exact wording. Those are definitely worse than most of the other stuff about Depp.

To be clear (if it wasn't clear already), i've not been closely following the trial, just watching assorted clips that drop into my youtube feed, or on news sites.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Kelvin on April 23, 2022, 03:40:07 PMAh, I'd heard about the texts with Paul Bettany, but didnt know the exact wording. Those are definitely worse than most of the other stuff about Depp.

To be clear (if it wasn't clear already), i've not been closely following the trial, just watching assorted clips that drop into my youtube feed, or on news sites.

Same! I didn't even know who was suing who until today, and I assumed it was actually a criminal trial. I'd never even heard of had Heard enter my consciousness until the other day and I've just been watching buts of the testimony while at home. I wasn't claiming Depp was guilty with that link, but I thought it was worth sharing.

If I'm not wrong though Depp lost a libel case against The Sun over basically the same allegations? If he lost a case in Britain it seems utterly unthinkable that he'd win a similar one in the States where it's much harder to prove defamation.

Cloud

It seems to me there are very shit people on both sides

Mostly her side though, hitting him and trying to shame him into hitting her back is particularly grim

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Kelvin on April 23, 2022, 08:08:14 AMWhat's Heard's best evidence, her smoking gun that made her think pursuing a case was worthwhile? I went into this assuming they'd both be as bad as each other, but based on the assorted clips i've watched, Depp comes across as a pretentious twat with addiction problems (and many of the problems you'd expect that to entail), whereas Heard comes across as a genuinely abusive, manipulative psycho; the physical attacks she admits in recordings, the shitting in his bed, why on earth would she want to pursue the case if she didn't have something to match such obvious examples of abuse? Have I just not seen her best examples?

She had photos of visible bruises on her face after the final incident, but I think there's been some challenge to the authenticity of those (I think one of their neighbours has already testified about that). Other than that, it seems more like her team's aiming to paint him as an out-of-control drunk/addict whose version of events is suspect because he's wasted all the time. They've also got something alleging he "sexually violated her with a liquor bottle", but this is the first we've heard about that.

It's difficult to say what will decide the outcome of this case - I'm not sure if he needs to clear his name beyond reasonable doubt, or just needs to prove that she was equally (or more) abusive than she claimed he was, since this is all concerning her accusations themselves, specifically the article that she wrote about being a victim of domestic violence after they had settled their divorce with a joint statement claiming neither of them had intended to harm the other. My guess is she assumed he would want to just leave it alone and forego the very public embarrassment of a trial like this, but apparently not! His career would be fucked either way, I suppose, so I figure he at least wants to clear his name somewhat for his children's sake. I don't think it would be advisable to do that if there was any chance she had some strong evidence against him, but who knows?

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on April 23, 2022, 03:46:38 PMIf I'm not wrong though Depp lost a libel case against The Sun over basically the same allegations? If he lost a case in Britain it seems utterly unthinkable that he'd win a similar one in the States where it's much harder to prove defamation.

I suppose the difference is that the UK libel case basically decided The Sun were justified in using the term "wife-beater" to describe him based on pre-existing public accusations from the victim, and that there wasn't enough evidence to prove it wasn't true (whether or not he could prove that Heard was also abusive is sort of irrelevant to that case).

Flouncer

I've watched some of this tonight. Depp just rambles about stuff that isn't even vaguely related to the matter at hand, until eventually he starts talking about what someone else said then the opposing lawyer objects that it's hearsay. At this point Depp's lawyer asks him another question and he starts to answer but soon meanders off, and so the cycle continues. Someone needs to object that he's just spouting off like an old fart in a pub who is telling an interminable story that never reaches any sort of point.