Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:49:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard trial

Started by Barry Admin, April 13, 2022, 06:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neardark

Shitting on a bed is such a fucking insane thing to do, proper psychopath behaviour

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: neardark on April 24, 2022, 02:16:50 AMShitting on a bed is such a fucking insane thing to do, proper psychopath behaviour

So is scrawling angry nonsense on mirrors and lampshades with your own finger blood (and paint, when the blood runs dry) to be fair. He definitely doesn't come off well. Abusive towards others? Not sure. But he seems like he was having a massive breakdown a lot of the time.

It's actually very weird/annoying when he responds to questions about things like that with a wry smile and a glib remark, as if it were of no note.

Thursday

From a few small glances and searches on twitter, there's very little support for Amber Heard. Support for her, and criticism of Depp is the minority. Mainly just concern that Heard will now be used as an example to dismiss women that were abused. So It feels like whatever happens now Depp reputation is restored to a degree.

Why is his career over then, when other men have weathered worse and people seem to largely like and support him?

bgmnts

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 24, 2022, 02:40:50 AMSo is scrawling angry nonsense on mirrors and lampshades with your own finger blood (and paint, when the blood runs dry) to be fair. He definitely doesn't come off well. Abusive towards others? Not sure. But he seems like he was having a massive breakdown a lot of the time.

It's actually very weird/annoying when he responds to questions about things like that with a wry smile and a glib remark, as if it were of no note.

But if the situation was reversed, and the woman was displaying bizarre behaviour, would it even be being mentioned? Abuse is abuse isn't it?

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Thursday on April 24, 2022, 12:20:52 PMWhy is his career over then, when other men have weathered worse and people seem to largely like and support him?
None of this ties into the trial but he's lost his looks, comes across more pathetic than cool, his track record in terms of box office was really quite terrible relative to his star power and his attempts to do something prestige (Public Enemies, Black Mass) generally were quite crap. He was due a massive backswing to about 15 years of his name being overvalued.

I'm not really sure what you could do with a 60 year old Johnny Depp to get any value out of him other than chucking him into some novelty side character role and even then there's a good chance he'd be detrimental and take people out of the film.

Thursday

He often played eccentric characters though, wasn't always playing off his "heartthrob" image.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Thursday on April 24, 2022, 12:36:21 PMHe often played eccentric characters though, wasn't always playing off his "heartthrob" image.
I'd say a huge part of Depp's appeal was that he was a heartthrob who wasn't playing off his heartthrob image, and very very forcefully making it sure no one forgets that by picking the most surface level oddball roles he could. There was never anything that ran the risk of making him seem actively repulsive, a role like Jake Gylennhaal in Nightcrawler; I guess it could be more about him knowing his own limits and that he couldn't pull anything like that off, but that'd be a surprise if that's the case

Lord Mandrake

Whitey Bulger was quite repulsive I'd hazard. Ed Wood was faintly risky at the time but his finest moment as HST and subsequent friendship is probably what has doomed him. His texts read like a teenager aping HST and he evidently still wears that persona. I have some sympathy for a simple Kentucky boy who got lucky because of his looks
but little for the bloated, preening bore he has become.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: bgmnts on April 24, 2022, 12:29:12 PMBut if the situation was reversed, and the woman was displaying bizarre behaviour, would it even be being mentioned? Abuse is abuse isn't it?

Well, a lot of people are mentioning her (allegedly) shitting in his bed, but not so much the equally mad behaviour he's happy to admit to. It sounds like they were both acting a bit fucking wonky throughout their relationship, but none of that stuff is actionable really, it's just being used by each of them to try and prove the other one is crazier (hence more likely to be abusive).

up_the_hampipe

I'm finding some of the Johnny Depp support quite suffocating. It's like they're trying to stamp out any form of reasonable defence from Heard's side, or anything that would paint him less favourably.

There was a whole thing with a make-up palette she supposedly used to hide bruises, where even the company came out to criticise Heard's team for claiming she used that specific palette as it was released after the alleged abuse took place, but her team were just using it as an example of the type of palette she used. It seems bizarre that a cosmetics company would get involved in an ongoing trial like this, especially over something like domestic abuse. Regardless of who is worse than the other, there's a mob attitude over this that's really worrying.

Kelvin

EDIT: wrote this before up_the_hampipe posted.

Just going off the Youtube comments sections for these videos, there is a really grotesque bias in favour of Depp.  Even if the clip's highlighting Depp's worst behaviour, every comment is just hammering the same lines about Heard being to blame. There's a total blindness to acknowledge any fault on his part. Not sure if that's because he has such a hardcore fanbase, or a more general sexism, or what - but its really stood out to me watching the clips on Youtube. 

bgmnts

But is his shit behaviour relevant? Is that justification for abuse?

My mother was abused by my biological father so she has some experience in all this and she firmly defends Depp as the victim. I think it transcends being a fan of someone's work. Just judging things on a case by case basis, and she feels it could help shed light on men who are abused.

Kelvin

Quote from: bgmnts on April 24, 2022, 07:39:23 PMBut is his shit behaviour relevant? Is that justification for abuse?

No, of course not. But I do think its kind of gross that such a large (or vocal) chunk of the observers are so blindly in thrall to one of the parties.

That doesn't mean that he wasn't abused, or that "both sides are as bad as each other", I just think the tone of that discussion has a disturbing undercurrent of either blind fandom and/or outright sexism.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on April 24, 2022, 02:52:48 PMWhitey Bulger was quite repulsive I'd hazard. Ed Wood was faintly risky at the time but his finest moment as HST and subsequent friendship is probably what has doomed him. His texts read like a teenager aping HST and he evidently still wears that persona. I have some sympathy for a simple Kentucky boy who got lucky because of his looks
but little for the bloated, preening bore he has become.

Yeah, I'd say by the time Black Mass came out he had already cornered himself. It was the kind of thing he should've been trying to find around the time of the second Pirates film (but ideally with a less bald character; some gross level of weight gain would might've worked pretty well in pure optics gimmickry), there was too much pressure for it to deliver by 2015.

The success of Pirates seems like it wasn't great in a lot of ways either. He was effectively trapped doing those films for ages with the kind of money there was on the table and it rejuvenated the viability of his partnership with Burton at pretty much the exact point they should've both looked at moving on to last another decade instead.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 24, 2022, 07:33:58 PMI'm finding some of the Johnny Depp support quite suffocating. It's like they're trying to stamp out any form of reasonable defence from Heard's side, or anything that would paint him less favourably.

Yep, so much of it reads quite crazily overinvested in it all. Kind of reminds me of TERF twitter with how rabid a lot of it reads.
I think it's mainly fandom rather than anything else, and a very confused protective reaction to seeing him being on trial looking pitiful.

the science eel

Quote from: Kelvin on April 24, 2022, 07:35:28 PMThere's a total blindness to acknowledge any fault on his part. Not sure if that's because he has such a hardcore fanbase, or a more general sexism, or what - but its really stood out to me watching the clips on Youtube.

I've noticed this too - but none of us should be at all surprised by it. Depp's an established star, huge fan base, presents himself as likeable, accessible. And who the fuck is this Heard woman?

Bit like McCartney and Heather Mills 25 years ago. He might have slapped her around, we'll never know. But there was no way the public were going to side with her against him.

Kelvin

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on April 24, 2022, 07:49:16 PMKind of reminds me of TERF twitter with how rabid a lot of it reads.

This is exactly what it makes me think of, too.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: bgmnts on April 24, 2022, 07:39:23 PMBut is his shit behaviour relevant? Is that justification for abuse?

My mother was abused by my biological father so she has some experience in all this and she firmly defends Depp as the victim. I think it transcends being a fan of someone's work. Just judging things on a case by case basis, and she feels it could help shed light on men who are abused.

It's worth remembering that she is the one who initially accused him of abuse/violence, that's what started this all off. As of yet, that's not disproven (even if it seems very likely she was abusive herself), so all of the behaviour is relevant to the discussion.

I agree that it's frustrating that a lot of the discourse ignores some of Depp's poor or unhinged behaviour. Imagine the outrage if she were to laugh off some of her actions the same way he is. And I'm not #TeamAmber by any means, I think it's highly likely she's a manipulative bully, but I can acknowledge a double standard if there is one.

EDIT: I do agree with your last point, though, and I do hope this case can shine a bit of a light on that. So many men I know (including myself) have had abusive female partners, but that emotional or even outright physical abuse is not something you can expect to be taken very seriously by others.

druss

The clip with Depp banging the cupboards looks horrible and my first reaction was "what a prick" but then if I think back to my own life at my lowest moments (and when intoxicated), if someone had been filming me then it probably wouldn't look good either. Most people aren't squeaky clean and if they see a clip of someone being filmed at their worst and acting out as Depp was in that clip, then whilst it isn't condonable, it might be somewhat relatable. I imagine a lot of people have done stupid shit like banging cupboards when they're incredibly upset, particularly if alcohol is involved. Gold star to all the perfect humans who have never behaved in a similar way.

Due to having a bit of a dark sense of humour, I've also sent some texts to friends that if read out of context in a court room would also look horrendous. Second gold star to anyone who has never sent any private texts that would look awful out of context.

What is less relatable is admitting to closed fist hitting your partner and trying to guilt trip them for not hitting back (which she might well have then tried to film).

I can very much understand the pro-Depp bias. He's acted like a cock at times but there's been no smoking gun like the recording of Heard.

The insinuation in some YouTube comments that it is the norm for women to raise false DV allegations is a separate issue, and is of course abhorrent.

bgmnts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI4qHCdcaQs&ab_channel=Law%26CrimeNetwork

Lawyer objects to his own question, even the judge is nonplussed. I suppose Heard's legal team must be pretty frazzled.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: bgmnts on April 26, 2022, 08:47:32 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI4qHCdcaQs&ab_channel=Law%26CrimeNetwork

Lawyer objects to his own question, even the judge is nonplussed. I suppose Heard's legal team must be pretty frazzled.

I watched the whole butler testimony. That guy seems very genuine and likeable, thought he came across well.

The Ombudsman

I watched a fait bit of the proceedings yesterday.

The psychologist had very interesting things to say and I thought the cross examination by Heards team was terrible. They seemed to get a lot of facts wrong (her time in profession, what the diagnoses meant etc.). I think they were hoping there would be a big smoking gun moment a few times, a) they suggested she had told her husband she was profiling Heard, which was explained away very easily as not true (she said to Heard that her husband had bought them breakfast muffins however he didn't know who they were for, a linguistic trap) and b) that she had been wined and dined by Depp before she saw Heard. Which she said she met with his lawyers at his house to review the brief and food was provided but not in any way a dinner date. Also it was raised that she had seen Depp in films and thought he was a good actor, which seems ridiculous as it would be very difficult to find someone who hasn't seen any of his films.

The testimony of the police officer called to an incident was incredibly dull and both sides took a long time questioning (this was a pre-recorded session not live in court). I didn't get what the defence team were trying to get the lady to say, they were just repeating a bunch of stuff. In short, the police officer didn't see any sign of domestic abuse during the visit.

For me, the psychologist was the most interesting so far. She came across very well and her findings explained quite a lot.

The Bumlord

Just seen the photo of the bed shit. Pretty dark, possibly been on the red wine 8/10

idunnosomename

Just thoughta somthing... get this... 'Amber TURD'.... has anyone said that yet???????

peace

frajer

If it's yellow, let it mellow
It it's brown, flush it down
If it's amber, get a pre-nup

robhug

deliberately shitting the bed as a premeditated act of revenge on your other half is quite a choice. I can only think of Paul Merson who's owned up to anything similar, and his didn't have the revenge element, purely bantz.

imitationleather

She'd probably had a night on the stout. Happens to everyone.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: The Bumlord on April 27, 2022, 12:49:04 PMJust seen the photo of the bed shit. Pretty dark, possibly been on the red wine 8/10

Size Of Your Relationship Breakdown Shit

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: bgmnts on April 26, 2022, 08:47:32 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI4qHCdcaQs&ab_channel=Law%26CrimeNetwork

Hah. That really is straight out of The Trial of Tim Heidecker! Between stuff like this and the makeup kit blunder, Heard's lawyers must be absolutely shitting it.

robhug

Depp - reached a level of fame that his tiny brain struggles to keep up with, hence the drug and alcohol addiction(s). He's also really quite boring and but for his looks as a younger man almost certainly wouldn't have amounted to anything.

Heard - reached a level of fame that her tiny brain struggles to keep up with after marrying up. She's also really quite boring and but for her looks as a younger woman almost certainly wouldn't have amounted to anything.