Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:25:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hullraisers (C4 momcom)

Started by dissolute ocelot, April 16, 2022, 02:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

New sitcom adapted by Lucy Beaumont from an Israeli sitcom called Little Mom but now set in Hull. It has some funny lines but is not at all original based on the 2 episodes I watched on All4 (first series is up now, ep 1 was on TV a few days ago). The main character is a 30something mother and the first episode is her feeling she's old and doesn't go out drinking any more, and the second is her feeling she's not getting enough sex.

It does make Hull look incredibly gorgeous. As someone who holidayed there during the year of culture, the city has nice parts, but nonetheless it's on the North Sea yet it looks Mediterranean here. It's all done in a snappy, stylish way, single camera, bright lights, fast edits, keep moving. But aside from the accents it feels very generic, like a Tesco advert.

I'd be interested to know if it's worth watching the rest of the series.

iamcoop

My partner watched the first couple of episodes the other night and her verdict was that it's ok.

Hull can be lovely though, nice to see it getting some exposure.

shoulders

Marina, very centre, and old town areas are nice. Certain parks too. It was City of Culture and those areas got a lot of money and attention paid.

It's taken a long time to get there.

It's still an absolute shithole in many other areas, just not the ones people see. Really would hate to live there. There's still a bad smell and a vague air of 'the end of the world begins here' as you reach the rail terminus.

To be fair, even Whitefriargate is on its arse since the shopping centre by the station moved all the footfall to that side of town.

If you compare it to Derby (a nominee city that missed out on the award) Hull is now miles better, moving closer to its potential.

Des Wigwam

Mentioned in the Derry Girls thread wherein I said I didn't think that the accents were right and that it reminded me of something else I couldn't place. @JA'moke validated my accents observation (except for the lead character) and although I haven't seen the Israeli original it sort of adds up that it doesn't feel like an original work.

It's fine. It feels quite generic and it also feels slightly glitched that the characters don't sit together right (I couldn't tell you exactly why and it might be confirmation bias now). I like seeing Hull though having lived there for the majority of the 90s - it's interesting to see how it has and hasn't changed. Outside of the comedy I get a bit annoyed that they haven't shown more of the city (in the 2 eps I have watched).

In-line fake edit: I see the OP mentions the generic feel and the Tesco ad comparison is very apt.

Quote from: shoulders on April 16, 2022, 02:39:57 PMThere's still a bad smell   [...]
When I lived there for the majority of the 90s that weird smell was always put down to being the tannery. I always accepted that was true - it's only just occurred to me that might be bullshit (literally and / or  figuratively). If it was and still is the cause I suppose it's nice that there's still a thriving industry.

Ja'moke

I've seen two episodes and echo what others have said, it's fine. Nothing amazing but not offensive. A few good lines here and there.

But it's nice seeing my city in a scripted show like this. There better be an episode that involves chip spice at some point.

Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead

The first scene proper with them all on the doorstep? Filmed in Leeds.

How do I kner? There's ner 'ills in 'Ull.

But the Irish family looked as if they lived on one of the mewses off Ella Street off Newland.

I probably won't watch more, the first episode was just very pedestrian. Channel 4 bosses probably think they've encapsulated "the very essence of the North on tape". Let Lucy's mam write more, she was an amusing writer in the Hull Daily Fail in the 90s.

Mister Six

Quote from: shoulders on April 16, 2022, 02:39:57 PMThere's still a bad smell

They've got it down to one bad smell now?

Twonty Gostelow

Hull City Council have been lobbying for this show since Grimsby came out in 2016.

Quote from: Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead on April 17, 2022, 03:39:27 PMLet Lucy's mam write more, she was an amusing writer in the Hull Daily Fail in the 90s.

Better than Ray Rumkee's TV column?

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead on April 17, 2022, 03:39:27 PMThe first scene proper with them all on the doorstep? Filmed in Leeds.

I bloody well knew it (but didn't have the confidence to say so). It irrationally annoyed me that they tilted the camera even more for a wide shot to give famously flat Hull a hilly bent.

Quote from: Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead on April 17, 2022, 03:39:27 PMBut the Irish family looked as if they lived on one of the mewses off Ella Street off Newland.

I also thought this. I think a lot of things. I always liked those mewseses and the area around Ella Street then backing into the bigger Victorian houses on The Avenues*. I assume you can still buy a 6 bed house there for 50K.

* had to look that up - it's been a while.

Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead

Ray Rumkee's Telly Meth Addicts. Christ, any more of this trip down memory lane is going to trigger some deep, repressed sexual trauma involving fingering and The Golden Fry, ending up in Queens before a reet good night out in Spiders on a Friday, with them playing Viking HeffEm upstairs.

And I love the different smells of Hull. Tanneries, Cargill, SaltEnd, Jackson's... Everyday, a different olfactory offense. It only ever got dead interesting if the sky turned pink or green.

Lucy Beaumont, Mini Moran and the other are too chicken to add these to their whimsical dramady.

*THIS THREAD HAS NOW BEEN TAKEN OVER BY HULLENSIANS*

paddy72

Not seen any of the show yet, but I was born and bred in Hull (though not lived there for many years).

I've always felt the place gets a bit of an unfair kicking.

Nice to see Spiders getting a mention here – a rite of passage that several generations of my family have enjoyed/endured. And The Adelphi, of course.

On a side note, when Reece Shearsmith does angry characters – like Geoff Tipps – you can really hear his Hull accent come out.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead on April 17, 2022, 03:39:27 PMThe first scene proper with them all on the doorstep? Filmed in Leeds.

How do I kner? There's ner 'ills in 'Ull.

Ahh. I was wondering where in Hull that was because I didn't recognise it. But because most of this show seems to be set in West Hull, I just figured it was somewhere I'm not familiar with. I live in East Hull and rarely have reason to venture into West Hull these days.

Des Wigwam

Thought ep 5 was the best (don't worry there will be Hull chat later in the post). Might be because I know it was adapted from an Israeli thing but some of the things jar in it - chief of which is the main one's acting aspirations. It seems quite an important thing but sidelined and only mentioned in passing once an episode. Episode 5 did have more on it but it didn't really seem to fit into the social topography of it all. I could, however, imagine it flowing more naturally in, say, 30-somthing Tel Aviv (the original might be set in Israel's Hull for all I know though). I wondered what the bread cakes were in the original too - I could see it being falafel and quite a cultural thing of recipes handed down. It didn't seem to make any sense that Rani's mam made the best bread cakes around.

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 18, 2022, 02:03:39 AMAhh. I was wondering where in Hull that was because I didn't recognise it. But because most of this show seems to be set in West Hull, I just figured it was somewhere I'm not familiar with. I live in East Hull and rarely have reason to venture into West Hull these days.

Ha! I had the mirror image thought process. In ep 6 they're sat very close to the bridge at the bottom of Newland Ave and I nearly came. They're just sat out at a pavement cafe on Newland Ave (and just round the corner from Ella Street)! How things have changed in only 20+ years.

This whole series (and thread) has sent me down a google maps rabbit hole. Last time I saw Hull on TV was about Libby Squire (Netflix doc) and felt too ghoulish* and sad to do it then.

Nice to see The Queen's Head hasn't changed but disappointed that my old house (just down from The Adelphi) has a new uPVC door. Not in keeping with the shit hole it was at all.

The only drink I "remember" from Spider's was a Pangalactic Gargleblaster - which seemed to be a journey along the optics into a pint glass for about £2. And then some cider to top it off.

*I've deleted this pun

Gurke and Hare

I went to Hull for a City of Culture visit as well and was impressed. Lots of lovely architecture in the city centre, and very little of it overwhelmed by bad modern architecture. The museums in the Old Town are good, and there's a street called Land of Green Ginger with the world's smallest window, what's not to like.

Also this:

Ja'moke

The old town and museum area is very nice, as is the area around the marina. Sadly the city centre is mostly a ghost town these days, lots of boarded up shops.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Des Wigwam on April 19, 2022, 11:42:39 AMThe only drink I "remember" from Spider's was a Pangalactic Gargleblaster - which seemed to be a journey along the optics into a pint glass for about £2. And then some cider to top it off.

I think my last visit was probably 7 or 8 years ago, but I've got most of the cocktail menu indelibly burned into my memory.

Green Monster - a tour of the optics that ended up a lovely shade of green
Fluffy Duck - another tour of the optics that ended up white
Willie Worm - rum, lemonade and a jelly worm
Pink Pugsley - Malibu, some other alcohol and strawberry milkshake
Brown Bomber - brandy and chocolate milkshake
Red Yeti - vodka and whatever the Red Bull equivalent was
Tyzer - vodka, rum, lemonade and blackcurrant juice

There were definitely some others as well, but these were the ones I had at some point.

Jockice

I had two of the worst nights out of my life ever in Hull. And only one of them was spent in Spiders. So I don't look at the place with any great affection. I don't really get this show from the first two episodes. It sort of confuses me and I'm not really sure what's going on. I know that the Asian woman is the one who is the glamourpuss who gets loads of sex, which makes a change from them being presented as devout religious types, - and it's always good to see Shobna Gulati in anything - but the other characters (male and female) just sort of blend into one. Maybe it's just me but I'm going to give it one more go before probably bailing out.

KennyMonster

Saw Ep1 yesterday.

Mrs Monster is from East Hull (Gillshill road, which leads down into East Park (from the opposite side to Holderness Rerd) so I know the city a fair bit.

Even I coulld tell that the accents weren't right, some weren't even Yorkshire sounding, let alone East Yorkshire which has its own distinct vowel sounds.

It wasn't funny so we both decided to give it a miss.

Aside from some location shots of the city in the credits and in between scenes it didn't seem to be very Hull based at all, so why bother setting it there at all?

Maybe there's already a sitcom out there called 'nothern slags' so they were struggling for a title, idk.

Des Wigwam

I would have liked to see more of the city too. I do understand that TV programmes aren't made to satisfy my nostalgia needs but I don't agree with it. By the end the accents were really getting on my nerves with their rounded O's. They could have at least made the two sisters have the same accent. I was very happy when main character  was served by a shop lady who made every 'o' last a good couple of seconds.

Would be interesting to know if the original makes more out of the different character's occupations and aspirations - policewoman, sexually confident, aspiring actress, fixer-type glamour Auntie (Shobna Gulat), hard childhood of the two sisters (hinted at once - and seemed quite grim but nothing more).

The Rani character seemed to come to some sort of revelation at the end but it was out of nowhere.

Edit:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/hullraisers-everything-know-lucy-beaumonts-5901251

QuoteCameras have been trained on some iconic locations in Hull recently for the filming of a new Channel 4 sitcom.

Am just trying to find out about the original but there's not much out there and I'm not learning Hebrew just for this thread:

QuoteLittle Mom is a prime time comedy that reveals the harsh truth of life after having kids. A deep look into the lives of 30+ women in a world in which their libido causes more grief than satisfaction. A second season is currently in production.

SpiderChrist

An old mate of mine is in Episode 6 (the clothes shop woman) and so I'd like to say I really like this but, similar to the new series of Derry Girls, it's not something I'm going to go out of my way to watch.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 21, 2022, 08:41:22 AMAn old mate of mine is in Episode 6 (the clothes shop woman) and so I'd like to say I really like this but, similar to the new series of Derry Girls, it's not something I'm going to go out of my way to watch.

Can you tell her I thought she was one of the best ones in it?

Edit - that's unfair as I don't think there are any bad performances in it - they're all good performances. She is good though.  I always like Perry Fitzpatrick even though for 50% of the time I call him Michael Socha.

Jockice

This has grown on me. I quite like it now.

Kankurette

Quote from: shoulders on April 16, 2022, 02:39:57 PMMarina, very centre, and old town areas are nice. Certain parks too. It was City of Culture and those areas got a lot of money and attention paid.

It's taken a long time to get there.

It's still an absolute shithole in many other areas, just not the ones people see. Really would hate to live there. There's still a bad smell and a vague air of 'the end of the world begins here' as you reach the rail terminus.

To be fair, even Whitefriargate is on its arse since the shopping centre by the station moved all the footfall to that side of town.

If you compare it to Derby (a nominee city that missed out on the award) Hull is now miles better, moving closer to its potential.

One of my mates would agree with you, he's from Hull and was only too happy to get out. As is my ex-girlfriend. Although it's not the worst place I've been to by a long shot.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Jockice on May 17, 2022, 10:05:04 AMThis has grown on me. I quite like it now.

Me too.  I hated the first one, was ambivalent about the 2nd one, but quite liked the 3rd one.

Jockice

Quote from: Kankurette on May 17, 2022, 10:20:22 AMOne of my mates would agree with you, he's from Hull and was only too happy to get out. As is my ex-girlfriend. Although it's not the worst place I've been to by a long shot.

There's always Doncaster!

Icehaven

I've not seen the show (is it more or less a Northern version of Motherland?) but having never been to Hull this thread makes it sound a lot nicer than it's given credit for.