Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:59:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recession thread Part XXVIII

Started by Alberon, May 05, 2022, 12:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoulders

Never been a better time to formally complain about the quality of chamfering on a joist.

Look to the poster above you. Now look to the poster below you. One of those posters will be killed and eaten by marauding bandits in the next few years as civilisation continues its inevitable collapse.

Our energy bill has gone up from 40 to 50 quid a month this year already so it's pretty clear what's next.

Bernice

At least the Bank of England is prepared to step up and raise interest rates in order to purposefully provoke a recession so that the balance of power between capital and labour isn't allowed to shift an inch in the latter's favour. I'll take to the scrapheap with a stiff upper lip if it means I've kept the currency stable and the price of assets sky high, gawd bless you ma'am.

Kankurette

I've seriously considered planning my own death. The problem is how to get pills, since that's the most humane way. Not trains or jumping, it's not fair on the drivers or the witnesses. And guns and nooses don't always work. It's like the Dorothy Parker poem.

The other thing is that I'm too much of a coward to actually do it, that and the guilt about what it would do to my family. That's also why I hope my cancer comes back and goes terminal. That way there's no guilt. No possibility of me changing my mind.

I'm glad I'm childfree as well.

BJBMK2

Please, please can no one end there own life as a result of this thread, or outside forces in life, or, for any reason ever?

CBT is not for everyone. And I wouldn't recommend it as THE cure for all bad thoughts ever. But going through a course of it taught me so much. Yes, the world is shit. The government is shit. Other people seem shit, most of the time. But your not. You are not shit. So why should you end your life because of a decision made by someone who isn't you?

This isn't addressed to one person in this thread. Or everyone in this thread, or ten people in the thread. But please...I understand where the dark, defeatist posts come from. I'm not trying to devalue anyone posting in that way. But...the important thing is the world is here now. And you are here now. No matter what happens, the fact that you are alive now, that's all there is.

This forum has been a place for sheer beauty, and laughter, and joy. And it has been for me since 2004. Again, I'm not trying to say that people posting about how shit the world is, are wrong. But the idea that this place may instil worse thoughts in people then they already had, that's what bums me out.

bgmnts

Quote from: Kankurette on May 07, 2022, 02:04:31 AMI've seriously considered planning my own death. The problem is how to get pills, since that's the most humane way. Not trains or jumping, it's not fair on the drivers or the witnesses. And guns and nooses don't always work. It's like the Dorothy Parker poem.

The other thing is that I'm too much of a coward to actually do it, that and the guilt about what it would do to my family. That's also why I hope my cancer comes back and goes terminal. That way there's no guilt. No possibility of me changing my mind.

I'm glad I'm childfree as well.

Look, I literally cannot pretend life is worth living beyond it's pure existence, it mostly isn't for most of us. I know that's potentially a reckless thing to say but on the other hand being dead is pretty pointless too isn't it? So just push on.

Lemming

Fixed rate tariff til the end of the year over here! Hahaha! Absolutely fucking BLAZING, heating turned RIGHT UP. Hope this provides solace to everyone in these troubled times.

Kelvin

I think this thread shows yet again that people with a propensity for depression, or who are currently experiencing it, should be encouraged to spend far less time watching the news (or engaging with political topics on here and on social media) without feeling guilty for doing so.

Obviously keeping up with these issues is important, and some of them will continue to affect you directly whether you watch the news or not. But when people have reached the point where they're talking about killing themselves over a hypothetical future, where they can't even comprehend having children, where they've become fixated on topics like nuclear war, extinction, and environmental disaster, I really would encourage you to turn your gaze elsewhere, to turn off the news, to avoid certain threads, to re-focus, at least for a while. There is more to life than the endless recycled misery of these topics. It's okay to look after yourself by taking a break from them, or at the very least minimising your engagement with them. I know that's a difficult thing to accept on the left, where being a good ally matters, and turning away feels like selfishness, but you shouldn't feel guilty about prioritising your own wellbeing when things reach this point.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Kelvin on May 07, 2022, 05:23:58 AMI think this thread shows yet again that people with a propensity for depression, or who are currently experiencing it, should be encouraged to spend far less time watching the news (or engaging with political topics on here and on social media) without feeling guilty for doing so.

Obviously keeping up with these issues is important, and some of them will continue to affect you directly whether you watch the news or not. But when people have reached the point where they're talking about killing themselves over a hypothetical future, where they can't even comprehend having children, where they've become fixated on topics like nuclear war, extinction, and environmental disaster, I really would encourage you to turn your gaze elsewhere, to turn off the news, to avoid certain threads, to re-focus, at least for a while. There is more to life than the endless recycled misery of these topics. It's okay to look after yourself by taking a break from them, or at the very least minimising your engagement with them. I know that's a difficult thing to accept on the left, where being a good ally matters, and turning away feels like selfishness, but you shouldn't feel guilty about prioritising your own wellbeing when things reach this point.

Absolutely! You need to learn that you cannot make a difference to the world, it's massive and you're tiny. Focus on your own life (including your family of course) and try to enjoy that in any way you can. Go for a walk, slow the fuck down and just breath and enjoy the moment of being alive. Forget about everything else, you cannot do anything about it, it's Sisyphus kevels of masochistic punishment to put yourself through. My favourite phrase now is 'not my monkeys, not my circus'.

Pink Gregory

I went to a park and saw parakeets the other day.  Squwawk squwawk squwawk.

shoulders

QuoteMy favourite phrase now is 'not my monkeys, not my circus'.

Sadly a judge and several unpaid circus performers do not see it thst way.

Butchers Blind

Feel like pure shit, just want disposable income right now.

The Dog

Quote from: Bernice on May 07, 2022, 12:26:09 AMAt least the Bank of England is prepared to step up and raise interest rates in order to purposefully provoke a recession so that the balance of power between capital and labour isn't allowed to shift an inch in the latter's favour. I'll take to the scrapheap with a stiff upper lip if it means I've kept the currency stable and the price of assets sky high, gawd bless you ma'am.

Raising interest rates lowers asset prices.

Low interest rates are one of the major causes of the housing crisis and much of the current inequality in the world.

It is true that they are only doing this to suppress wages, and they don't care about spiralling asset prices, but that is why they haven't raised rates until now. They should have done it ten, or even twenty years ago.

Fry

Re: Kids,  shit future, suicide.

The way I think of it is, there's been countless times throughout the past where it's felt like the world is ending. I'm not even talking about 80s, threads, nuclear war stuff. It could even be as simple as being a farmer in 5th century Kent and a bunch of Anglo Saxons come rolling through a-raping, pillaging and destroying everything within eyesight, or being an Anglo Saxon farmer and a bunch of Vikings come Viking through from the north. Those were all apocalypses, in a sense. At least it was to these poor lads and ladies. People kept having children, however. They kept working. The world kept turning.

I'm sure things are going to get harder, much harder. But to be honest compared to almost every single person who has ever drawn breath, I've had an incredibly easy life. Throwing my hands up, wailing and giving up everything just because of the possibility of being alive as the wheel turns and the prospect of being forced to, perhaps, maybe, struggle a bit like every single one of my ancestors did feels a little bit pathetic.

I'm here because people lived through war, disease, slavery and poverty but kept on fucking and chuckling. Least I could do really.

Twit 2

There's always been things to worry about, sure, but the climate destruction we're currently experiencing, which is already at apocalyptic levels for those who've been affected by it (in the UK the most we've got to complain about so far is massive loss of wildlife, which is grievous enough if you love wildlife and nature) and will get exponentially worse, is totally unprecedented.

Hence my message of positivity: enjoy what you still have.

Also, another strong recommendation to barely look at the news. My mental health improved a lot when I stopped reading and thinking about everything being shit.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Fry on May 07, 2022, 08:12:36 AMRe: Kids,  shit future, suicide.

I'm sure things are going to get harder, much harder. But to be honest compared to almost every single person who has ever drawn breath, I've had an incredibly easy life. Throwing my hands up, wailing and giving up everything just because of the possibility of being alive as the wheel turns and the prospect of being forced to, perhaps, maybe, struggle a bit like every single one of my ancestors did feels a little bit pathetic.

I'm here because people lived through war, disease, slavery and poverty but kept on fucking and chuckling. Least I could do really.

Yeah I said this to a homeless chap the other day and do you know what? The ungrateful bastard didn't appreciate my homespun wisdom and told me to fuck off.

The Giggling Bean

Until 2016 I had minimal interest in politics. I was of the opinion that all politicians are the same but still voted Labour. When Jeremy Corbyn came along and proposed that life could be a bit less shit if things were more equal I took notice. Things felt hopeful and I started paying attention to politics...too much and I began to realise just how immoral and corrupt it is. With that awareness its really hard to block it out and not feel angry on a daily basis. After the 2019 general election I took a step away from politics and stopped watching the news or reading the papers. Unfortunately it's everywhere and hard to avoid...we've always got radio 2 on in the office.

I've absolutely no intention of suicide or self harm. Yes the anxiety is rising but I do believe "where there's life there's hope". I'm trying to focus on small positive things to keep my spirits up. New albums, films, gigs etc as well as trying to raise my child right. I've got so much to share with them.

There's nothing I can do about these big issues other than protest or vote when the opportunity arrises. Its that feeling of helplessness that aggravates and also knowing that those in power are blatantly mugging us off.

Kankurette

Quote from: Kelvin on May 07, 2022, 05:23:58 AMI think this thread shows yet again that people with a propensity for depression, or who are currently experiencing it, should be encouraged to spend far less time watching the news (or engaging with political topics on here and on social media) without feeling guilty for doing so.

This is why I actively try not to watch the news. It's like opening the curtains and seeing everything outside being covered with lava. I do care but I have my limits. And knowing that there's a cosmic timer somewhere, and it's counting down, doesn't help. I mean, I'm 38 now but the way the world is going it makes me wonder how long I've got left before there's no world left.

I know I'm lucky, I know I have a roof over my head and, touch wood, a job that pays the bills and my parents didn't rape me or beat me and I'm not living in a war zone. Unfortunately, my mind isn't exactly rational, as anyone who's seen my posts in the football thread will know.

Quote from: SpiderChrist on May 07, 2022, 08:33:08 AMYeah I said this to a homeless chap the other day and do you know what? The ungrateful bastard didn't appreciate my homespun wisdom and told me to fuck off.

Well, when you put it like that, we might as well all fucking top ourselves hadn't we?

shoulders

QuoteI do believe "where there's life there's hope"

Well then brace yourself as BOLLOCKS, THAT'S FUCKING WRONG

Twit 2

"What are you worrying about? Life is pretty good, actually..." is quite a privileged, inane take.

The Dog

Edit: Oops, sorry, wrong thread

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 07, 2022, 05:50:46 AMMy favourite phrase now is 'not my monkeys, not my circus'.
Where I am we have a similar phrase, "Not my wall, not my hamster, not my problem." The precise origins of which are now lost to the depths of time.

Fry

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 07, 2022, 09:24:15 AM"What are you worrying about? Life is pretty good, actually..." is quite a privileged, inane take.

"Everything is going to be shitter so we may as well kill ourselves" is hardly better.

Bernice

Split the difference and kill each other, I say.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 07, 2022, 09:15:16 AMWell, when you put it like that, we might as well all fucking top ourselves hadn't we?

When you've spent most of your life trying your best, only to end up in exactly the same place you were 20 years ago, with absolutely no prospect of it getting better and every chance it's just going to get worse? Yes.

Twit 2

Quote from: Fry on May 07, 2022, 10:06:37 AM"Everything is going to be shitter so we may as well kill ourselves" is hardly better.

I'd say it's a lot worse. My take—the complete opposite, as I already explained—is seeing as things are only going to get shitter, we should stay as positive as possible and enjoy what we still have.

Twit 2

shoulders

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 07, 2022, 03:04:02 PMdp

A good example of the torment soon to envelope us all.

*Sorry, thought that meant double penetration

shiftwork2

Only sorry I missed the first 27 iterations of this thread.