Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:42:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forgotten Cash-In Singles by Comedy Actors in Character

Started by Satchmo Distel, May 10, 2022, 01:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 11, 2022, 03:45:18 PMAvid Merrion.

Genuinely one of my favourite Christmas songs.

New page schmickles. Let me try and think of another one...

Captain Z

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 11, 2022, 03:59:28 PMPeter Kay is not actually a character so doesn't technically qualify

Peter Kay did also release that 'Geraldine' song from his fading-from-memory X Factor Parody.

Or maybe I'm misremembering, not sure if 'Winners Song' was released, but there was this Christmas effort:

Brundle-Fly

Just the opening 30 secs of this would probably ruffle feathers today. I'm surprised it hasn't miraculously 'resurfaced' on social media, but I guess Billy Crystal keeps his head down these days for it to be of any interest to the average shitstirrer?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 11, 2022, 05:47:02 PMI'm surprised it hasn't miraculously 'resurfaced' on social media, but I guess Billy Crystal keeps his head down these days for it to be of any interest to the average shitstirrer?

"can you dig it? i knew that you could"

idunnosomename

Quote from: Captain Z on May 10, 2022, 02:55:53 PMCame up on the TOTP repeats recently:

Not strictly cash-in, as it was for Comic relief, but definitely forgotten. It's definitely no 'Pizza Bean'.
it definitely gets remembered as an Iron Maiden curio. The band playing with Bruce eventually became the rock band Skin. Interestingly Howard Goodall worked on the string arrangement backing.

There's some quite funny Bean moments in the video I think, like him putting the sticker on the coffin. Also Angus Deayton at the end with the dolphin.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: waste of chops on May 11, 2022, 03:22:40 PMDon't know if it's the one you're thinking of but there's this:

There's this and the 7" mix but at least shows the video.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I came across a few songs by Sylvia Anderson and David Graham as Lady Penelope and Parker out of Thunderbirds lately, do they count?

keir

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 11, 2022, 07:32:30 PMThere's this and the 7" mix but at least shows the video.

Whenever I think about that video I always imagine him singing "I live in LA" instead of "one foot in the grave".

non capisco

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 11, 2022, 03:45:18 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqBF7TiyATo

Avid Merrion.
Not great at the time and not ageing well.
Disappointed to see Adam and Joe making an appearance.

If that opening "joke" with Matthew Wright and John Leslie is about what I assume it must be about then.....fucking hell. 

Who remembers Billy Crystal's Fernando Lamas parody from SNL?

No me neither, there's a whole album of this

Ray Travez

I was a fan of both the art of noise and max headroom, but this is essentially wittering over a light jazz-funk soundtrack

Dead Soon

Quote from: Swift on May 10, 2022, 04:51:41 PMStretching the definition of comedy...

My younger brother bought this on CD. Shockingly, it's got 13 million views on YT.

Can't be that forgotten, this is a setlist staple from many entertainers in the seaside hotel I work in. I am surprised it's only as recent as '96 though, and gimmicky.

Catalogue Trousers

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 12, 2022, 11:40:32 PMThis deserves to be in here, I'm pretty sure.

There was a whole album of this, a la The Simpsons:
Brittany Murphy did "One Tin Soldier" on it, too, but I think it's been taken off Youtube now.

Catalogue Trousers

That's right! There's also Barenaked Ladies doing Get In Line as pretty much Dale's theme tune.

mrapollo

Dirty old man is sad The Beatles have broken up.

Swift

I'm assuming comedy puppet stuff isn't being counted here? Otherwise you have Mr. Blobby and Roland Rat and the like, and Zig & Zag and Dustin the Turkey in Ireland.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Swift on May 13, 2022, 08:16:02 PMI'm assuming comedy puppet stuff isn't being counted here? Otherwise you have Mr. Blobby and Roland Rat and the like, and Zig & Zag and Dustin the Turkey in Ireland.
I swear, the music video for Wash Your Socks for Christmas is the only proof I have that Pajo's Junkbox was real.

keir

Quote from: mrapollo on May 13, 2022, 06:35:52 PMDirty old man is sad The Beatles have broken up.

That must be the b-side of the decimalisation one. I'm grateful to Wilfred for only doing two shit singles, unlike Harry who did heaps of them, often taking the opportunity to do terrible accents.

Gurke and Hare

It seems like there should have been a Hyacinth Bucket one of these, with Richard grumbling in the background.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 14, 2022, 09:30:35 PMIt seems like there should have been a Hyacinth Bucket one of these, with Richard grumbling in the background.

A disco cover of Respectable Street with Onslow banging two dustbin lids together at the end of each line CMON DICKIE WE'RE ONLY AVING A LAFF

petril

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 14, 2022, 09:30:35 PMIt seems like there should have been a Hyacinth Bucket one of these, with Richard grumbling in the background.

Rab C Nesbitt naff rap effort with a break for his mates from the pub to wander in and ask what he's doing

JAMESIE: is this wan a' they rap yins, Rab? haw-haw-BRILLIANT!!

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 11, 2022, 03:45:18 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqBF7TiyATo

Avid Merrion.
Not great at the time and not ageing well.
Disappointed to see Adam and Joe making an appearance.

Proper Chrimbo's a banger and I won't hear a word said against it. I won't defend the video tho

lauraxsynthesis

Pete n Dud's Goodbyeee got to number 18 in 1965.

Clive Dunn's Grandad was THREE WEEKS AT NUMBER 1. I've never heard it on the radio. Has it been wilfully erased?

This thread has reminded me of tragic Don Estelle trying to flog cassettes of Whispering Grass in shopping centres in his later years 😢

Red Macadam

Does Bernard Bresslaw count? He released a few singles in his "Aww, don't be like that Sid" voice, which was sort of a character. If so, I'd include Larry Grayson's 'Shut that Door'. Possibly Frankie Howerd and June Whitfield singing 'Up Je T'aime'. Larry Grayson and Frankie Howerd were always in character, weren't they? Probably don't count.

Jon Pertwee and 'Worzel's Song'. Is that one?

Benny Hill and 'Ernie'?