Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Married with Children is getting an animated reboot

Started by Petey Pate, May 15, 2022, 03:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

Famous Mortimer

If you're in the mood for Married With Children-related content, then David Faustino's web series "Star-ving" from 2009 was pretty good. He and Corin Nemec play themselves, the first episode is about him trying to borrow some money from Ed O'Neill, it's a lot better than you might expect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star-ving

Pinball

The whole husband and housewife sitcom is surely outdated now? Great series but it's done. Move on.

idunnosomename

I read this as "animated robot" at first. You know, like a Great Gazoo.

Then of course I remembered Katey Sagal already stars alongside an animated robot. That she does a lot of animation va work could be a factor

Replies From View

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Pinball on May 16, 2022, 11:28:50 AMThe whole husband and housewife sitcom is surely outdated now? Great series but it's done. Move on.

That's not really what Married with Children was. Once it hit its stride it very quickly became a surreal, dark live-action cartoon.

idunnosomename

I never really totally get the Deep Space Homer bit with the toilet flush. was it just friendly rivalry between Fox shows?

as well as that and Marge in Chains, I'm sure there's an S2 where you hear Peggy and Al on TV but I can't find it now

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 16, 2022, 10:27:25 PMI never really totally get the Deep Space Homer bit with the toilet flush. was it just friendly rivalry between Fox shows?

Just a play on toilet humour, isn't it?

If it's a cartoon, does that mean no rowdy and raucous audience noise? Why bother calling it Married with Children?

idunnosomename

Quote from: JamesTC on May 16, 2022, 10:52:41 PMJust a play on toilet humour, isn't it?
yeah I guess the joke is it's just a play on the Fox Network being full of low-brow humour, same with Marge in Chains. it's not really a dunk on the show itself, but kinda ribbing the network, which is obviously a big part of the Simpsons.

it's just weird for British people because I think it's where a lot of us first knew of the show, have to admit

(also it is Maggie Roswell doing Peg here, with Dan doing Al)

Replies From View

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 16, 2022, 10:15:49 PMThat's not really what Married with Children was. Once it hit its stride it very quickly became a surreal, dark live-action cartoon.

Surely part of the appeal was that it was live action, though? 

I never understood the thinking behind making a cartoon of Ace Ventura either, but they did.

Replies From View

Quote from: curiousoranges on May 16, 2022, 11:07:13 PMIf it's a cartoon, does that mean no rowdy and raucous audience noise? Why bother calling it Married with Children?

When has "children" ever been code for "live studio audience"?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Replies From View on May 17, 2022, 12:08:11 PMSurely part of the appeal was that it was live action, though? 

I never understood the thinking behind making a cartoon of Ace Ventura either, but they did.
part of that weird late 80s 90s thing where cartoons moved away from being toy adverts to just adapting popular adult -orientated films into kids cartoons.

As well as the three(!) Jim Carrey films, stuff like RoboCop. The Real Ghostbusters too I suppose. And, uh, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Although it's very different now, back in the 90s there was little adult animation other than The Simpsons (and to a lesser degree Beavis and Butt-Head and King of the Hill) that changed mostly under South Park/Family Guy/Futurama so I'm assuming this would be targeted at adults

Blumf

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 17, 2022, 12:37:16 PMAlthough it's very different now, back in the 90s there was little adult animation other than The Simpsons (and to a lesser degree Beavis and Butt-Head and King of the Hill) that changed mostly under South Park/Family Guy/Futurama so I'm assuming this would be targeted at adults

You also had Duckman (1994), The Critic (1994) and Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist (1995). Adult animation was getting into it's swing in the 90's, before South Park (1997) and Family Guy (1999)

Replies From View

The Real Ghostbusters surely served as an excellent advert for its range of affiliated toys.

MWC and The Simpsons were pretty close peers in the early nineties. Imagine if they attempted a live-action Simpsons. I bet that'll happen as a film (bomb) at some point in the next century. Long after the show has finished.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Blumf on May 17, 2022, 12:52:04 PMYou also had Duckman (1994), The Critic (1994) and Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist (1995). Adult animation was getting into it's swing in the 90's, before South Park (1997) and Family Guy (1999)
Space Ghost: Coast To Coast ran from 1994 to 1999, as well.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

There's Ren And Stimpy in 1991 and The Tick in 1994 as well.

JamesTC

Quote from: curiousoranges on May 17, 2022, 01:57:59 PMMWC and The Simpsons were pretty close peers in the early nineties. Imagine if they attempted a live-action Simpsons. I bet that'll happen as a film (bomb) at some point in the next century. Long after the show has finished.

The Simpsons ending in the next century is not a certainty.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Blumf on May 17, 2022, 12:52:04 PMYou also had Duckman (1994), The Critic (1994) and Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist (1995). Adult animation was getting into it's swing in the 90's, before South Park (1997) and Family Guy (1999)
yeah I'm coloured a little by my experience in Britain. I don't think any of those got airing on free-to-air UK TV, no idea about Sky. I've still only ever seen one episode of The Critic, just out of curiosity after The Simpsons crossover Matt Groening had a benny about.

Ren & Stimpy and The Tick were ostensibly kids' cartoons, being on Nickelodeon and Fox Kids respectively. The BBC aired them, the former always in the 6-7 slot on BBC2, the latter did get on CBBC a bit in the mornings but also went out on BBC2 after 7 pm

The Real Ghostbusters was a massive toy thing hence why I kinda bracketed it. I remember enjoying both the Ace Ventura and The Mask cartoons. The Mask theme tune is brilliant

Family Guy felt like such a big breakthrough for grown-ups watching cartoons. And I remember laughing myself silly at the first season on channel 4, but felt it rapidly went to shite

(also Stressed Eric was good)

Blumf

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 17, 2022, 09:18:54 PMyeah I'm coloured a little by my experience in Britain. I don't think any of those got airing on free-to-air UK TV

From memory, Duckman was on BBC2 (maybe C4), and Dr Katz was on ITV (back when ITV had interesting weird shit on after midnight).

Might as well chuck in MTV's Liquid Television (1991) for completeness, which was on BBC2's DEF II block, so more teen focused than pure adult.

Sebastian Cobb

Malcy

I saw an article recently saying 'Modern Family star to bring back classic sitcom' and thought it may be mooted for a limited run or something but animated?

Why? I'm not shitting on it but why? I can imagine the answer is USTV execs who run shit being out of touch as usual and dictating stuff even though they are old out of touch twats in suits with no idea.

But why?

Video Game Fan 2000

Don't forget Fish Police

idunnosomename

i watched an old Rocko's Modern Life recently and it was genuinely fucking hilarious. like The Simpsons there's a really strong small voice cast.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Replies From View on May 17, 2022, 12:08:11 PMSurely part of the appeal was that it was live action, though? 

Yeah I didn't understand the appeal of the Jim Carrey cartoon adaptations either. With this though I think as someone else mentioned it's more to do with being able to carry it on without ageing up or recasting the main characters, and it's an approach that worked for bringing back Corner Gas (with the exception of a cast member who passed away in the interim).

Blumf

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on May 17, 2022, 11:51:38 PMDon't forget Fish Police

Got a better one than that, Spicy City (1997)

God bless Ralph Bakshi, the toon obsessed pervert.

Catalogue Trousers

Also, don't forget Crapston Villas. Stop-motion, aimed clearly more at adults than kids animation from Channel 4, 1995-1997.

ProvanFan

I'm sure there's an actual episode of Married with Children that featured a toilet in the living room.