Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:50:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Please explain this crossword answer

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 30, 2023, 09:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 03, 2023, 10:01:01 PMNice bit of anagrind inversion in that i crossword too:

A way to get artist some water in NZ? (4, 6)

Good one. I'm always slow to spot a reverse anagram.

A pity the i's budget doesn't extend to publishing original crosswords. They're all ones that have previously appeared in The Independent.

pancreas

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: pancreas on December 06, 2023, 06:52:36 PMToday's Guardian was absolutely fucking exemplary.

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/cryptic/29246

Not done it yet, but Tramp is brilliant. He was also recruited as a Times setter a few months ago.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: pancreas on December 06, 2023, 06:52:36 PMToday's Guardian was absolutely fucking exemplary.

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/cryptic/29246
Not started it yet, still working on yesterday's which appeared to have multiple Elon Musk-related clues.

MojoJojo

This one from Quiptic is annoying (i.e. I don't get it):

QuoteIt's digitally displayed data ... dear? (4-3)

I know the answer is
Spoiler alert
READ OUT
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
read is dear backwards, although I don't see an indicator to reverse a word - it's a down clue if that makes any difference
[close]
. What obscure abbreviation/knowledge/bridge terminology am I missing?

FeederFan500

Read "out" ie out of place ie is an anagram of dear. The question mark is the hint that it's a playful definition.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on December 03, 2023, 11:43:25 PMThe best introductory level puzzles are the Times Quick Cryptics that appear five times a week from a stable of about 15 setters. The Guardian Quiptic is only once a week and uses only 4 or 5 setters, not all of whom seem to be able to reduce the difficulty appropriately. Unfortunately the Times crosswords aren't free.

They have some as standalone books, and they look decent from the previews I can see on Amazon. They seem to be absolutely piracy-resistant, though! Can't find copies of them anywhere, though I have found a site for saddos where they post the clues plus answers in the form of a daily blog, just without the grids, the cunts.

Pseudopath

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 08, 2023, 10:39:49 AMread is dear backwards

Chucked out ethnics possibly examine this fool? (5, 3, 4, 5)

dissolute ocelot

The Guardian Monday Cryptic tends to be easy if you want a simple cryptic crossword (and is free online). The Quiptic was originally promoted as an easier alternative, but is significantly harder. I'm not sure if the Guardian's Cryptic is supposed to get harder each day from Tuesday to Friday but I don't think there's much difference except on Monday.

madhair60

MojoJojo

Quote from: FeederFan500 on December 08, 2023, 10:58:15 AMRead "out" ie out of place ie is an anagram of dear. The question mark is the hint that it's a playful definition.

Oh bums. I have seen that type before, I think I might have got it if I hadn't decided that read = backwards dear (which uh, it isn't).

phantom_power

Stop putting up clues without the answers you bastards

FeederFan500

A similar classic one is a variation of

"An alcoholic drink, K?" (8)

Spoiler alert
Cocktail
[close]

holyzombiejesus

Spooner owned horse and produced wretched individual. (7)

dontpaintyourteeth

Try aping this unseen character! (6, 6)

holyzombiejesus

Nation without castle describes dontpaintyourteeth (4)

kalowski

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 08, 2023, 12:24:55 PMThe Guardian Monday Cryptic tends to be easy if you want a simple cryptic crossword (and is free online). The Quiptic was originally promoted as an easier alternative, but is significantly harder. I'm not sure if the Guardian's Cryptic is supposed to get harder each day from Tuesday to Friday but I don't think there's much difference except on Monday.
Before he died Rufus did the Monday and what annoyed me was his style rarely helped you learn the craft because his clues were full of shit puns.

Dex Sawash

today's NYT xword

Causes to grow, humo(u)rously (9)

Spoiler alert
embiggens
[close]

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 09, 2023, 11:17:20 PMtoday's NYT xword

Causes to grow, humo(u)rously (9)

Spoiler alert
embiggens
[close]

Don't really get the (u) bit there, apart from it making the word bigger. I'm probably missing something but it's not spelt like that in Britain either.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on December 11, 2023, 02:14:24 AMDon't really get the (u) bit there, apart from it making the word bigger. I'm probably missing something but it's not spelt like that in Britain either.

I put the u in to un-americaniz(s)e my spelling. Often incorrectly.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 11, 2023, 05:44:37 PMI put the u in to un-americaniz(s)e my spelling. Often incorrectly.

Ah, I misunderstood. I wasn't being pedantic, I really thought the (u) was in the original clue and it was one of their cryptic ones.

While I'm here, here's one I liked from the Times, a good example of a wittily disguised definition:

Character on Baywatch warned off after dealing? (7,6)

Spoiler alert
TRAFFIC WARDEN

Definition = Character on Baywatch. Wordplay = anagram ('warned' off) after traffic (eg dealing)
[close]

touchingcloth

There's a
Spoiler alert
traffic warden
[close]
in Baywatch?

What's the
Spoiler alert
dealing
[close]
got to do with anything?

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 11, 2023, 11:48:26 PMThere's a
Spoiler alert
traffic warden
[close]
in Baywatch?

It's a whimsical definition – rather than saying something like
Spoiler alert
'parking attendant'. Traffic wardens would be characters who'd be keeping their eyes on parking bays.
[close]

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 11, 2023, 11:48:26 PMWhat's the
Spoiler alert
dealing
[close]
got to do with anything?

Dealing (with a question mark) is a possible example of
Spoiler alert
'traffic' in drugs.
[close]

I'm not sure anyone gives a shit about
Spoiler alert
spoilers in this thread.
[close]

Mobius

I watched that episode of Inside No. 9 all about cryptic crosswords last night and excitedly went to do one today with a new understanding, and I still haven't got a fucking clue.

Dex Sawash

Today's NYT xword stuck on the rebus in 4 down

Spoiler alert
_OG
[close]

I solved everything but the one rebus letter, hit the solve puzzle button to give up but it won't show the letter hiddwn by the rebus

thinking it may be
Spoiler alert
Bog
[close]
but it didn't like it when U put that there

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 01, 2023, 11:46:25 PMThose particular bores have their own separate website and everything, and it's the tweest thing possible,

Someone's decided to liven things up a bit in the blog for last month's Private Eye puzzle, in a reference to the clue for UNZIPPED: International body moved fast, prepared to expose member 
Comment #5  https://www.fifteensquared.net/2024/02/10/private-eye-cyclops-771-poor-taste-alert/