Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:09:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rishi’s Rwanda Rebellion

Started by Alberon, December 06, 2023, 08:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Rishi Sunak has been trying to find a middle way to tightrope along between the various factions in the Tory party over Rwanda.

James Cleverly has been trying to sell the idea that judgements from the ECHR could be selectively ignored while not withdrawing from it entirely and has not convinced anyone.  Rwanda itself has stated they wouldn't agree to any treaty where the ECHR wasn't applied.

And now Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick has resigned, because the refugees aren't going to be whipped as they're sent to Rwanda, or something.

Sunak seems to have been left with no way forward as the Tory headbangers seem to have enough rebels to defeat the government in a vote.

BlodwynPig

Those headbangers are the modern day slave traders and should be treated as such... with respect and subservience

idunnosomename

robert jenrick looks like he burst out from a lab on the island of Dr Moreau and is going to tear you in half down the spine and grin like a fucking idiot through your flying innards

Captain Z

"The deal fell through because we found the safe treatment of refugees in such an undeveloped country could not be guaranteed"... said a Rwandan spokesperson. #HIGNFY

I don't think Sunak's that arsed about it - he's probably just looking forward to becoming even more grotesquely rich from the 'opportunities' that'll come his way after his term as PM ends. He's content to go through the motions with this crackpot idea until such time as his premiership is brought to an end, either in the General Election or by his own party, knowing that there's zero chance it'll come to fruition.

Braverman and Jenrick are the real deal though - proper full-on sadistic authoritarian would-be tinpot dictators. Jenrick had pictures of cartoon characters on the walls of an asylum-seeker reception centre painted over, FFS.

shoulders

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 06, 2023, 09:24:53 PMrobert jenrick looks like he burst out from a lab on the island of Dr Moreau and is going to tear you in half down the spine and grin like a fucking idiot through your flying innards

Amazing he is in a job, I mean he was actually fully outed as a crook. This is the walk of life where that simply just doesn't matter.

idunnosomename

Quote from: shoulders on December 06, 2023, 09:43:15 PMAmazing he is in a job, I mean he was actually fully outed as a crook. This is the walk of life where that simply just doesn't matter.
Priti Patel met with the Israeli government in the occupied Golan Heights without telling the foreign office and was fired by May, but still got to be home secretary under Johnson because lol who cares even though that's basically treason

Ferris

Any time I hear the term "headbanger" I think 'well if they're really into metal they can't be all bad'.

It's confusing and I suggest we all knock it on the head (unless there are a load of Slayer fans in Cabinet, I don't know the current barrel-scraping crop of Ministers very well in which case fair enough carry on).

Ferris

Quote from: shoulders on December 06, 2023, 09:43:15 PMAmazing he is in a job, I mean he was actually fully outed as a crook. This is the walk of life where that simply just doesn't matter.

From his wikipedia page:

QuoteHe owns two £2m homes in London, one of which is a £2.5m townhouse less than a mile from the Houses of Parliament. He also owns Eye Manor, a Grade I listed building in Herefordshire which he purchased for £1.1 million in 2009.[95][96] His constituency of Newark is 150 miles (240 km) from his 'family home' in Herefordshire.[97] He rents a £2,000-per-month property in his Newark constituency,[27] which is paid for by the MPs' second homes allowance.[98]

There's no ethical line these turds won't cheerfully skip across.

Alberon

Quote from: Ferris on December 06, 2023, 10:06:21 PMAny time I hear the term "headbanger" I think 'well if they're really into metal they can't be all bad'.

It's confusing and I suggest we all knock it on the head (unless there are a load of Slayer fans in Cabinet, I don't know the current barrel-scraping crop of Ministers very well in which case fair enough carry on).

Okay, but we'll need a new term for those at the madder end of the Tory MP pool. Something to distinguish them from the common or garden cunt infesting government. Even 'fascist anti-democratic bastards' has too much crossover with the larger group of MPs.

Sebastian Cobb

You've somehow missed the best part sorry didn't read properly , Rwanda has told the UK government it is willing to pull the plug on the deal if it breaches international law.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1732453413210730743

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 06, 2023, 09:18:24 PMThose headbangers are the modern day slave traders and should be treated as such... with respect and subservience

This is one of those very rare occurrences (according to the IUCN now listed as 'functionally extinct') where your hyperbole actually highlights the truth

Alberon

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 06, 2023, 10:57:00 PMYou've somehow missed the best part, Rwanda has told the UK government it is willing to pull the plug on the deal if it breaches international law.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1732453413210730743

I mentioned it at the top.

On the Telegraph's report on Rwanda's stance there's two basic opinions-

1/ The UK government put them up to it (which could be true).

2/ Utter incredulity that a place that had genocide and civil war so recently has any right to lecture us on international law. A few commenters point out that this might be a point against the whole plan, but they get shouted down.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Alberon on December 06, 2023, 11:05:13 PMI mentioned it at the top.

On the Telegraph's report on Rwanda's stance there's two basic opinions-

1/ The UK government put them up to it (which could be true).

2/ Utter incredulity that a place that had genocide and civil war so recently has any right to lecture us on international law. A few commenters point out that this might be a point against the whole plan, but they get shouted down.

Yeah sorry I corrected that.

3/ take the money and run at this point. Billions for building a barracks with none of the aggro of running it, fair play lads.

Zero Gravitas

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on December 06, 2023, 11:30:27 PMIs Rwanda dunking on us now?
A couple of lads from the political elite in Rwanda in a bar, and one says to his mate: "I told you those English clowns were dumb enough to fall for it. Now, let's go shopping for Ferraris!"

Bum Flaps

If the £150m up-front sweetener is non-refundable, then now would be a brilliant time for Rwanda to find an excuse to not actually do any of the receiving migrants bit.

"Sorry Rish, we tried our best to fix your problem, but it's a hopeless cause. Call out charge still applies though mate."

Sebastian Cobb

"you'll need to build the housing first. I'm sure you know how much it costs to build a prison or barracks, of course labour is cheaper here so let's say 1 billion instead of 5.".

Zero Gravitas

I mean, I feel really bad about this, and am going to have to do some deep self-criticism.

But, Rwanda!?

The place with the hotel!??

Sebastian Cobb

If it turns out that Rwandan lawyers did did more diligence, realised it was unworkable then they took UK gov for a ride then I think that's the funniest outcome.

But it also makes me feel like I should do a contrived James O'brien head in hands sigh.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 07, 2023, 12:03:07 AMBut it also makes me feel like I should do a contrived James O'brien head in hands sigh.

How To Be Far Right (In A World Gone Wrong)

Mobius

the way this is going, we will probably end up paying rwanda, to take their refugees! LOL!

Red82

Quote from: Ferris on December 06, 2023, 10:06:21 PMAny time I hear the term "headbanger" I think 'well if they're really into metal they can't be all bad'.

A lot of Metallers are actually quite right wing aren't they? Has anyone else noticed that or is it just  another sad anecdote?

Blumf

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on December 06, 2023, 10:59:21 PMThis is one of those very rare occurrences (according to the IUCN now listed as 'functionally extinct') where your hyperbole actually highlights the truth

A stopped clock is ALWAYS right

Alberon

Pro-Sunak minister this morning unable to tell the BBC's Today programme whether we could possibly get refugees from Rwanda before any of our migrants are shipped over there.

Sunak is in an untenable position right now, there are worries inside the party that they could stumble into a confidence vote which he'd probably win, but what then? Could they spend the next year just ripping themselves to shreds?

Norton Canes

QuoteHe owns two £2m homes in London, one of which is a £2.5m townhouse less than a mile from the Houses of Parliament. He also owns Eye Manor, a Grade I listed building in Herefordshire which he purchased for £1.1 million in 2009.[95][96] His constituency of Newark is 150 miles (240 km) from his 'family home' in Herefordshire.[97] He rents a £2,000-per-month property in his Newark constituency,[27] which is paid for by the MPs' second homes allowance

That's shocking. You can get a townhouse less than a mile from the Houses of Parliament for £2.5m?!

MoreauVasz

They're already doing that. Plus, Sunak's government has not brought forward any substantial pieces of legislation so it's not like he needs the party's support to force through his agenda.

Truss should have been the end of the Tories. When the financial markets melt-down over Tory spending plans, you know that they've lost the room.

Sunak was a brokered deal. Another chance: Put the more moderate people in charge, safe pair of hands, kick the can down the road. The problem is that neither the papers nor the Tory party are interested in sticking to the deal... They want mad right-wing bullshit all day and all night regardless of the polls and regardless of the consequences.

Rather than exert his power and nail these reactionary forces back into their coffin, Sunak has spent his premiership trying to keep them onside and while that has mostly prevented the papers from going after him personally, it hasn't given him control of the party and it hasn't improved his polling.

He is fucked. He is hated in the country and he is hated by his own party.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Red82 on December 07, 2023, 12:57:22 AMA lot of Metallers are actually quite right wing aren't they? Has anyone else noticed that or is it just  another sad anecdote?
well Pantera fans. I don't think "liking metal" predisposes you to any political position anymore than liking jazz. You can be a communist or a tory.

The interesting thing with Metallica is they had loads of essentially anti-war stuff like Disposable Heroes and One then they go stick Don't Tread On Me on the Black Album which is constitualist warhawk catnip.

Anyway the better term than headbanger imo is WINGNUT.

Beloved of Jo

I normally interpret headbanger in the metal sense, so there's a slight smile to be had seeing it applied to a bunch of blustering suited old fools.

Those last two definitions have pleasingly entered our mainstream lexicon here, especially since 2020.