Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rishi’s Rwanda Rebellion

Started by Alberon, December 06, 2023, 08:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

Sunak has a sudden press conference at 11. Hopefully he's going to announce that he's planning to be pulled apart by horses for charity.

Butchers Blind

Sunak to announce that there ain't no black in the Union Jack, to keep the headbangers on side, before unveiling our new flag.

jobotic

Nick Robinson relatively scathing to Braverman this morning.

They're probably meeting for drinks later but even so.

jobotic

^ that's what Johnson should be doing at the Covid enquiry

Some ERG cunt is the new Immigration Minister.

Alberon

Wow, that will calm the far-right wing of the party!

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteBut No 10 has decided to split the role. So Michael Tomlinson has been appointed Minister for Illegal Migration in the Home Office, with Tom Pursglove as Minister for Legal Migration and Delivery.

Wonder if this splitting of the role will quiet the critics.

sevendaughters

Rwanda is safe now, they spent 3 weeks in an office sorting it out.

Alberon

Well, he said absolutely nothing new there and it will change no-one's mind, so that was a useful news conference.

idunnosomename

STOP THE BOATS! STOP THE BOATS!!!

NAB THEM
GRAB THEM
TAB THEM
JAB THEM

STOP THOSE BOATS NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Pink Gregory

wonder if Tom Pursglove has ever had sexual dealings with Greg Hands; I suppose "Hands in Pursglove" would be too risky.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe prime minister says illegal immigration not only undermines border controls - "it undermines our sense of character".

He explains: "We put in our fair share, we wait our turn."

Those who cut the queue "fatally undermine the very fairness on which trust is based".

The idea that fleeing torture and famine is like waiting in a queue is pretty grim.

Sebastian Cobb

I think he's confused the upper classes and tories with immigrants there.

Blinder Data

very funny that Jenrick was Sunak's mate that he put into the Home Office to keep an eye on mad Braverman

i think the plan was always to go for an election next autumn/winter, but this business makes May much more likely. the pressure from inside Sunak's own party is reaching unsustainable levels.

if they lose the upcoming Rwanda vote, i guess Sunak's best bet would be to call a "stop the boats" election to head off any thread to his leadership.

they would probably fare better on those terms than in a year's time when everyone is truly sick of them.

still, i reckon they will end up with fewer than 200 seats, possibly closer to 100 if polls are to be believed :)

Fambo Number Mive

If Sunak's worried about people not waiting their turn perhaps he'd like to resign as PM and become a bus queue monitor given the number of people who just push in.

jobotic

Yesterday he claimed that immigrants have to contribute to public services. His government are doing their very best to destroy public services (as will the next one, whoever wins). Deport! Deport!

Butchers Blind

Imagine forcibly deporting asylum seekers to Rwanda is the hill you're prepared to die on. Mad political party we've got running the country.

Not in the manifesto they were elected on, not in his leadership bid, polling indicates nobody really gives a fuck about it and yet here we are.

Alberon

It's totally dead as a policy anyway.

Won't pass without the right-wingers. Right wingers won't pass it without leaving the ECHR. Rwanda won't do it if we leave the ECHR. Sunak pressing on with a fudged middle way that absolutely no-one believes will work.

Absolute toast, and yet the Tories will bring it to a vote next week.

Blumf

jobotic

Quote from: Alberon on December 07, 2023, 12:02:54 PMIt's totally dead as a policy anyway.

Won't pass without the right-wingers. Right wingers won't pass it without leaving the ECHR. Rwanda won't do it if we leave the ECHR. Sunak pressing on with a fudged middle way that absolutely no-one believes will work.

Absolute toast, and yet the Tories will bring it to a vote next week.

And a number of them have said, quite openly, that this is about trying not to lose the next election. Millions and millions spent solely for the benefit of the Tory Party. Meanwhile local authorities are going down the toilet.

Kankurette

And it's not going to fucking happen or work because the Home Office have so much backlog. They have to get a certain number of cases dealt with by the end of the month and there's as much chance of that happening as there is of a piano falling out of the sky. And this is before we get into fuel costs, airline logistics etc. The whole thing is a waste of time and just pandering to the worst people.

idunnosomename

this guy is absolutely rubs at being PM. give Liz Truss another go!

Milo

Do they have a 'best case scenario' for how many asylum seekers will be sent to Rwanda if all the various obstacles vanish?

jobotic

Look at this (from Guardian). What he said is fucking grotesque, but its not enough for the headbangers wingnuts shitstains

QuoteHere is the text of Sunak's opening statement. And here are the main points from the statement and the Q&A.

Sunak claimed the new bill will close down the vast majority of the legal routes used by asylum seekers who have challenged decisions to deport them to Rwanda. He said:
Let me just go through the ways individual illegal migrants try and stay.

Claiming asylum – that's now blocked.

Abuse of our Modern Slavery rules – blocked.

The idea that Rwanda isn't safe – blocked.

The risk of being sent on to some other country - blocked.

And spurious Human Rights claims – you'd better believe we've blocked those too ... because we're completely disapplying all the relevant sections of the Human Rights Act.

And not only have we blocked all these ways illegal migrants will try and stay.

We've also blocked their ability to try and stay by bringing a Judicial Review on any of those grounds.

That means that this bill blocks every single reason that has ever been used to prevent flights to Rwanda from taking off.

The only, extremely narrow exception will be if you can prove with credible and compelling evidence .... that you specifically have a real and imminent risk of serious and irreversible harm ...

I am telling you now, we have set the bar so high that it will be vanishingly rare for anyone to meet it.

He said the UK was willing to ignore injunctions from the European court of human right seeking to block deportation flights. He said:
I will not allow a foreign court to block these flights.

If the Strasbourg court chooses to intervene against the express wishes of our sovereign parliament, I will do what is necessary to get flights off.

And today's new law already makes clear that the decision on whether to comply with interim measures issued by the European court is a decision for British government ministers – and British government ministers alone.

Ignoring injunctions from the ECtHR is not the same as ignoring all judgments from it.

He claimed that there was only "an inch" between his stance and that of his Tory critics who want a tougher bill. And if he agreed to their demand (for a bill allowing the UK to ignore the ECHR), Rwanda would pull out, he said.
For the people who say 'you should do something different', the difference between them and me is an inch, given everything that we have closed. We're talking about an inch.

That inch by the way is the difference between the Rwandans participating in this scheme and not.

Kankurette

If Rishi likes Rwanda so much, why doesn't he go and live there?

BlodwynPig

Id fucking send the cunt there if i had any ability to do so. Craven piece of shit.