Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:36:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rishi’s Rwanda Rebellion

Started by Alberon, December 06, 2023, 08:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Actually did he really say it in that "that's a paddling" way? Insane.

BlodwynPig

BBC front page

"Prince Harry wants children to 'feel at home' in UK"

"Rishi Sunak tells foreigners to fuck off out of the UK, you diseased fucking rats"

Zero Gravitas

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-04/0038/230038.pdf

I was curious how this was to be achieved legislatively.

The best bit is that it modifies the wording of the Illegal Migration Act, inserting:

Quote from: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2023/37/enacted(4) The following are examples of harm that constitute serious and irreversible harm for the purposes of this Act—
  • death;
  • persecution falling within subsection (2)(a) or (b) of section 31 of the Nationality and Borders Act 2022 (read together with subsections (1) and (3) of that section) (Article 1(A)(2) of the Refugee Convention: persecution) where P is not able to avail themselves of protection from that persecution;
  • torture;
  • inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment;
  • onward removal from the country or territory specified in the third country removal notice to another country or territory where P would face a real, imminent and foreseeable risk of any harm mentioned in paragraphs (a) to (d).
(4A) But see sections 2 and 4 of the Safety of Rwanda (Asylum and Immigration) Act 2023 (safety of the Republic of Rwanda).

Milo

Doing a whole load of laws for one hopeless programme. How many laws have that many references to a specific country? It's a bizarrely specific law to be written.

BlodwynPig

Don't quite a few MPs have financial interests in Rwanda that predate this. Braverman or Patel did.

Quote from: Alberon on December 07, 2023, 12:02:54 PMRwanda won't do it if we leave the ECHR.

Heard some stupid arse from Conservative Home or somewhere being interviewed earlier and when this point was put to him, he complained that Rwanda wasn't even in the ECHR itself.

Errm... can you possibly think of a reason why Rwanda isn't in the European Convention of Human Rights? What a genius.

superthunderstingcar

What exactly is the Tory plan here? Do they really think that as soon as they've successfully sent one immigrant to Rwanda they'll suddenly go back to polling at 40%?

Alberon

I think they've given up trying to convince the electorate and are now in a full-on civil war over the future of the Tory party, which rather presumes it has one.

Pranet

I do fear that at some point with all of their flailing about they will hit the exact racist erogenous zone of the British public.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Pranet on December 07, 2023, 10:37:16 PMI do fear that at some point with all of their flailing about they will hit the exact racist erogenous zone of the British public.
I think that's exactly what the people who are pulling the strings of goons like Braverman are looking for - "just exactly what can we get away with, as a starting point?"

Red82

I read that Farage and the Reform party are now polling as high as Ten percent. So they'll be going full tilt to the Right to try and get that vote.

Kankurette

I wonder how much of that is him going on I'm a Celebrity.

BlodwynPig

Alberon

Nearly a quarter of a billion quid spaffed on this ridiculous non-starter with more to come.

QuoteThe £290 million that the Government plans to spend on the Rwanda scheme is "the right investment", one of Rishi Sunak's new immigration ministers has insisted.

Britain has given Rwanda an extra £100 million this year – on top of the £140 million already paid – before any asylum seekers have been deported to the central African state, The Telegraph revealed last night. Ministers also expect to pay Rwanda a further £50 million next year.

Fambo Number Mive

It says a lot about Tories and their supporters that they will rage about the money people on benefits get or call for further cuts to the aid budget but seem fine with £290m of public money being given to the Rwandan government because it might make life harder for desperate people.

This is the money we're told we can't afford for the NHS or local government.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 08, 2023, 09:19:41 AMIt says a lot about Tories and their supporters that they will rage about the money people on benefits get or call for further cuts to the aid budget but seem fine with £290m of public money being given to the Rwandan government because it might make life harder for desperate people.

This is the money we're told we can't afford for the NHS or local government.
Would be interesting to know the bottom line in terms of how much of the £290m actually winds up in Rwanda, and how much is skimmed off in shite like "consultancy" "legal fees" etc etc

Shaxberd

From here:

40,000 asylum seekers arriving by boat in 2022. (Of about 80-90,000 overall, if I've read that right - it's not clear if it's saying there's 40k asylum seekers and 45% came by boat, or 40k people came by boat and applied by asylum and they're about 45% of the total number.)

An estimated 1.2 million new arrivals overall (according to the ONS). Net migration about 600k.

By some back of a fag packet maths, that's £7.25k per person for about 3% of the total number of migrants. Who wouldn't come by boat at all if there were easier ways.

We really could spend the money on something better.

Fambo Number Mive

Exactly.

Treating asylum seekers like people rather than a problem and approving their asylum claims and allowing them to work would also probably help fix the skills shortage that we're seeing in a lot of industries at the moment. There's no logic to all the anti-asylum seeker bullshit, it's just appeasing bigots.

BlodwynPig

@Buelligan hostage swap? Fancy living in Leicester and giving your cave to this illegal criminal?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-67654360

Buelligan

Gah, don't tell me those things, it's terrifying.  We seem to have got over the bump in the carpet where sanity and reality, let alone compassion, once stood, Britain's on a roll downwards towards something horrific.

And you know the weirdest thing about it?  Why does anyone care about this stuff?  They care because they're told that the reason they can't get a dental appointment or a cancer appointment or any fucking appointment that doesn't entail being sanctioned, in the UK is that we are full.

Not that, in a country more heavily taxed than it's been in decades, no money is being spent social goods.  If you cut away public money from public bodies, those bodies will fail, doesn't matter how much tax is paid or by whom.

superthunderstingcar

Q. What's an extra £50M when you've already spent £240M?

A. The Sunak Cost Fallacy

Alberon

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Alberon on December 08, 2023, 02:02:05 PM

Got excited about this because I thought it was used in Technotronics Rockin' Over the Beat, but having just watched the video it isn't. I love busy days like this!

Get into the sound, keep rollin' the tune

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 08, 2023, 02:29:50 PMGot excited about this because I thought it was used in Technotronics Rockin' Over the Beat, but having just watched the video it isn't. I love busy days like this!

Get into the sound, keep rollin' the tune

I'm certain that's the audience for Mary Whitehouse giving that speech about the "dirtiest programme" she'd ever seen at teatime on BBC1.

Sebastian Cobb

Serves her right for being a slob and not eating her dinner in the dining room.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 08, 2023, 02:35:07 PMI'm certain that's the audience for Mary Whitehouse giving that speech about the "dirtiest programme" she'd ever seen at teatime on BBC1.

Noel's House Party?

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: sevendaughters on December 07, 2023, 11:05:26 AMRwanda is safe now, they spent 3 weeks in an office sorting it out.
Someone should tell the Foreign Office Rwanda is safe. Judging by their official travel advice they dont get British values.

QuoteThere have been incidents of violent clashes on the DRC-Rwanda border in recent years, and armed incursions into the southwest of Rwanda. On 10 June 2022 artillery fire from within DRC hit Rwandan territory close to the border in Kinigi sector of Musanze district in the North West. This follows a similar incident in May.

QuoteOn 18 June, two people were killed and six were injured when suspected militants opened fire on a public passenger bus on Nyamagabe-Rusizi road, in Nyungwe Forest, Nyamgabe District.

idunnosomename

I never thought Robert Jenrick would eat MY face... well actually no I always thought it was precisely the sort of thing he would do

Proactive

If we had a proper, no holds barred racist government in charge, I wonder how many steps up the ladder the likes of Sunak, Patel and Braver would be from getting deported or sent to death camps themselves. Get rid of the poor black and brown ones first of course, but I fancy they'd be on their way in the next tranche, then finally the Eastern Europeans.

Buelligan

Thought the section on this on Question Time was particularly interesting.  George Monbiot acquitted himself admirably.  But the most interesting aspect of it was the audience opinion of the policy.  Only one person would speak up for it and even they thought that all the buttons must be pressed to find out what works (even the one marked genocide, one wonders?) and seemed to be some sort of feeble-minded ancient.  So no supporters really. 

Odd that Braverman, Jenrick, appalling cunts like that, seem so obsessed.  Almost as if they don't give a fuck about it but are using it as a way to split the Party and engineer more control for themselves and other Faragist Trussites.  What a way to run a country.

Bit starts at the start if you're interested -

Fiona Cunt