Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:19:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weirdest repeated/looped thought you've had recently or ever

Started by Goldentony, January 09, 2024, 01:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

didnt Fat Dog Mendoza end with someone say...mmmmmmmennn--doohh--zaaaa???! in an exasperated voice?

Goldentony

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 09, 2024, 06:25:53 PMLast time I was seriously ill (vertigo) I kept waking up and just thinking "sanguisiggabogg" over and over. Never heard them. When I got better I listened to them and they're SHITE.

oh god yeah this happens with band names all the time, fucking could not get KVELERTAK out of my head for ages, just over and over like a Mars Attacks bloke fucking KVELERTAK

flotemysost

Too many to mention, but the majority of thoughts/phrases/sequences of numbers etc. that enter my head end up immediately getting set to whatever tune fits the requisite syllables, and there ain't shit I can do about it.

Earlier today I was trying to remember what day in January my brother's partner's birthday falls on - you'd think at some point in their nigh-on decade-long relationship I'd have either retained it or made a note somewhere, but nooo, that would be too easy - anyway, I do remember it was either the same day or the day after David Bowie died, and before resorting to the humiliation of actually asking, I spent most of today repeatedly Googling that date (because I kept forgetting it instantly). Anyway my brain instantly and perversely set it to the tune of Summer Is Icumen-In, so I've been going around all day with "When did Da-vid Bo-wie die, when did Da-vid Bo-wie die" cheerily tootling away in there.

This happens quite literally every waking moment, probably at least a hundred times a day (with different songs/melodies), it's ridiculous.

Also find it strangely cathartic to enact massively, cartoonishly over-the-top reactions to things in my head. There's a kinda weirdly-proportioned fork in the cutlery drawer in my flat, dunno who it belongs to, but for some reason it's always mildly disappointing if that's the first one I pull out; anyway I've got into the habit of releasing a wildly disproportionate barrage of unbridled vitriol (mentally) whenever I see it. "I hate you! You fucking CUNT!".

canadagoose

Every time I see a Lidl ice cream, branded "Gelatelli", my head immediately goes "Gelatelli gets you everywhere", mispronounced to sound like "philately" which is half of a stupid joke in the first place. My brain has been doing that for years and I can't seem to stop it.

non capisco

The timeline where I have a job as an antiques assessor would be a living hell with Belinda Carlisle's voice in my head going "Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?" every hour I'm at work.

As it is I'm cursed with Paul Simon signing "Shit, shower and shave" instead of 'Slip Slidin' Away' every morning.

A couple of times when I've been in the supermarket recently, the beeps from the scanners at the checkouts have seemed to fall into the same pattern as the twinkly keyboard melody from 'State of Independence' by Donna Summer (repeated a couple of times here between 0:30 and 0:35):

https://youtu.be/3XcKN0XbCbU?si=Cqa1LZltxzPIxGQe&t=30

I've started anticipating this when I go into the shop now, and yet I get the sense that somehow nobody else is noticing this. Can you believe that?

The Mollusk

On my road there's a car with the registration GUS3 W0X and the average human compulsion to make words out of car number plates had manifested in me imagining the Gusewox (pronounced "goozy-wocks") is some sort of fictional beast like the Gruffalo. Every single day when walking up the street to and from work when I see it I will, verbally, out loud, say to myself "Ah... the Gusewox" as if I am some sort of scholarly type talking about it to some local visitors to warn them of its presence. Every day for the last three years.

buttgammon

For about a month last year, I had Leland Palmer singing Mairzy Doats during one of his meltdowns in Twin Peaks stuck in my head. If that wasn't bad enough, it somehow started to segue into a violent jazz clarinet breakdown.

Zetetic

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 09, 2024, 05:51:40 PMI spend an inordinate amount of time casually observing things and in my head going "[thing I'm witnessing] is it mate" as if in a derogatory judgemental way.
Similarly:
"x? And that's good is it?"

"x? I love x!"

Happens whenever anyone mentions "transition", "culture" or "leadership" , but far from limited to those.

The Mollusk

Haha my god yes, that first Jez quote has been living rent free in my head for years!

dungbeetle kpi

"Chewings fescue". Round and round it goes in the cheeks of my mind like an oenophile swilling a pink Shiraz. "Chewings fescue".

flotemysost

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 10, 2024, 07:53:40 AMGusewox (pronounced "goozy-wocks")

If that was me I know without a shadow of a doubt this would be set to the tune of Baby Cakes by 3 of a Kind:

Gusewox
You just don't know, know
How I, I
Like it down low, low

No idea why this fairly unremarkable UK garage one-hit-wonder has such a hold on my neural jukebox, but the number of three-syllable words that automatically get set to that tune is infuriating.

Also realised earlier when I had one last check to confirm

Quote from: flotemysost on January 09, 2024, 11:27:42 PMWhen did Da-vid Bo-wie die

that this also fits the opening theme to The Archers (it's basically the same fucking tune as Summer Is Icumen-In anyway), which to me is one of the singularly most deflating theme tunes to ever have been penned and now that's been in my head all day, ffs.

non capisco

Anyone often have bits of two different songs in their heads looping round and melding together? For me at the moment it's ABBA's Super Trouper going into Madonna thus: "And it's gonna be so different when I'm on the stage toniiiiiiight....like a virgin (hey!)"

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: non capisco on January 09, 2024, 11:35:27 PMAs it is I'm cursed with Paul Simon signing "Shit, shower and shave" instead of 'Slip Slidin' Away' every morning.

Excellent spoonerist earworming "Eddie get your oatcakes, Eddie get your oatcakes (oatcakes, oatcakes), get your oatcakes Eddie"

non capisco

Another phrase that bubbles up in my head constantly is "Hark at him, he thinks he's David Essex!" which I think my friend Julie said she heard someone say on a train in the mid-2000s.

flotemysost

Quote from: non capisco on January 11, 2024, 09:06:55 PMAnyone often have bits of two different songs in their heads looping round and melding together? For me at the moment it's ABBA's Super Trouper going into Madonna thus: "And it's gonna be so different when I'm on the stage toniiiiiiight....like a virgin (hey!)"

All the time, but it's always staggeringly stupid/incongruous combos, like the theme from Rosemary's Baby morphing into the theme from The Vicar of Dibley, or the theme from My Name is Nobody segueing into I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith (don't ask me how that last one works, it just does)

wrec

Quote from: non capisco on January 11, 2024, 09:06:55 PMAnyone often have bits of two different songs in their heads looping round and melding together? For me at the moment it's ABBA's Super Trouper going into Madonna thus: "And it's gonna be so different when I'm on the stage toniiiiiiight....like a virgin (hey!)"

Had this with Londonbeat's I've Been Thinking About You and the Dead Kennedys' Cesspools in Eden. The chord change at the pre-chorus sent me straight to "What's making out eyes so itchy, don't rub 'em they'll swell up", and I was stuck with this medley for years.

Had a job which included paying expenses to a Caroline King (who I never saw or met), which would always set off "we are sharing the same dream, and our hearts they beat as one".

Have had loads of these that are far less explicable, lots of Tourette's-like obscenities / inanities that are usually safely internal but may burst forth when I'm roaming the barren hills.

non capisco

Quote from: wrec on January 11, 2024, 09:31:21 PMHad a job which included paying expenses to a Caroline King (who I never saw or met), which would always set off "we are sharing the same dream, and our hearts they beat as one".

Oh yeah, had a fair few of these as well! There's someone recently started at work called Owen Maiden ("Oh well, wherever, wherever you are/Owen Maiden's gonna get you, no matter how far") and used to work with a woman called Tory Wire whose name I liked to say in the style of Mark E Smith singing "totally wired" (not to her face)

non capisco

Quote from: flotemysost on January 11, 2024, 09:17:42 PMthe theme from My Name is Nobody segueing into I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith (don't ask me how that last one works, it just does)

The flute bit? Yeah, I can hear that.

wrec

Quote from: non capisco on January 11, 2024, 09:36:14 PMOh yeah, had a fair few of these as well! There's someone recently started at work called Owen Maiden ("Oh well, wherever, wherever you are/Owen Maiden's gonna get you, no matter how far") and used to work with a woman called Tory Wire whose name I liked to say in the style of Mark E Smith singing "totally wired" (not to her face)

Both of those seem unavoidable, but for ages, I was haunted with "Cormac McCarthy, show me your leg, Cormac McCarthy, take me to bed"

flotemysost

Quote from: non capisco on January 11, 2024, 09:38:20 PMThe flute bit? Yeah, I can hear that.

That's the one! All the fucking time (though not quite to this level)

Quote from: wrec on January 11, 2024, 09:31:21 PMHad a job which included paying expenses to a Caroline King (who I never saw or met), which would always set off "we are sharing the same dream, and our hearts they beat as one".

Ha, yep some names are just doomed to be immortalised as earworm touchpapers. At work sometimes I have to contact a Bangalore-based bookseller called Gangarams, and whenever I see their company name in my inbox without fail I hear "Woah, Black Betty..." which is so cloddishly predictable that I can't be the only one.

Vodkafone

Quote from: flotemysost on January 11, 2024, 10:27:45 PMThat's the one! All the fucking time (though not quite to this level)

Ha, yep some names are just doomed to be immortalised as earworm touchpapers. At work sometimes I have to contact a Bangalore-based bookseller called Gangarams, and whenever I see their company name in my inbox without fail I hear "Woah, Black Betty..." which is so cloddishly predictable that I can't be the only one.

Back in the '90s, on a mix CD by (I think) Seb Fontaine, there was a track that had the lyric "attack the dancefloor like a bulldozer". Luckily we didn't have ISIS then, or it would have given them ideas. Anyway, at that time I was working not as a waitress in a cocktail bar but in a council office on the Harrow Road and there was a guy who used to come in sometimes who had the name Paul Tozer, and so naturally in my head he replaced the bulldozer in the lyric. Bearing in mind that this was about 25 years ago, I still very regularly hear in my head "attack the dancefloor like a Paul Tozer". How is that allowed?

BJBMK2

I just remembered an utterly bizarre moment where I was at work, so sleep deprived and bored, staring at the harsh light of the screen, that out of nowhere, my head started singing Shang A Lang. Except it was not to the lyrics of the song Shang A Lang. It was the Hitler Downfall meme (the bit where he shouts FEGELEIN! FEGELIN!, not the more famous one where he's ranting at all the generals). So that was me, for about 4 hours. FEEEEE-G-LEIN! FEEEEEE-G-LEIN!

The Mollusk

Quote from: flotemysost on January 11, 2024, 08:51:30 PMIf that was me I know without a shadow of a doubt this would be set to the tune of Baby Cakes by 3 of a Kind:

Gusewox
You just don't know, know
How I, I
Like it down low, low

No idea why this fairly unremarkable UK garage one-hit-wonder has such a hold on my neural jukebox, but the number of three-syllable words that automatically get set to that tune is infuriating.

To add yet another spin on this yarn, I very frequently have this same sensation for the ZZ Top song Sharp Dressed Man, where I replace those three words with any standout phrase I come across (doesn't need to rhyme). "Ladies go crazy 'bout a ..."

Can't think of any now to make this post funny but you'll just have to imagine.

lazyhour

Many years ago now, I saw a silly Japanese poster with a photo of a cute baby animal, probably a puppy, along with the slogan "Put a thing in a pocket".

I nearly lost a good friend because of how frequently I felt compelled to say this phrase out loud. Honestly not joking.

It still pops into my head quite regularly, over 20 years later.

Put a thing in a pocket.

non capisco

non capisco

Quote from: Vodkafone on January 11, 2024, 10:35:44 PMBearing in mind that this was about 25 years ago, I still very regularly hear in my head "attack the dancefloor like a Paul Tozer". How is that allowed?

I am really enjoying this thread.