Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:59:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bubble tea?

Started by Ray Travez, January 19, 2024, 11:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: Brian Freeze on January 19, 2024, 12:28:43 PMFake edit: autocorrect wanted to put - dread the conservatives
Autocorrect, or a message sent back in time from a year in the future?

Icehaven

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 19, 2024, 07:00:32 PMSo, they're not actually bubbles? False advertising, innit?

Dollops Of Tapioca Tea doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Lost Oliver

The creme brulee one is well fit. Would recommend.

seepage

There's a cooking program where the host starts each show with a bubble tea. Would you trust a chef who thinks bubble tea makes a suitable aperitif?

dontpaintyourteeth

touchingcloth

Wikipedia says that

QuoteThere are many popular flavours of bubble tea, such as taro, mango, coffee, and coconut.

If you find yourself answering the question of "how do you like your tea?" with "coffee", something has gone extremely wrong.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 20, 2024, 11:14:19 AMWikipedia says that

If you find yourself answering the question of "how do you like your tea?" with "coffee", something has gone extremely wrong.

Wife likes a dirty chai latte with boba but she is one of those people who don't notice the cooking oil has gone off.

The good thing about having some boba/bubbles in fridge ready to go is you never know when you may need culture medium

Oosp

If you make stupid choices at the bubble tea shop, you deserve the shit time your mouth's gonna have. Pick the right ingredients and Quit You're BitchinTM, ffs

Dr Rock

I'd rather suck off a war criminal thanks.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Lost Oliver on January 20, 2024, 07:26:45 AMThe creme brulee one is well fit. Would recommend.

I'm going to have to try a bubble tea, so I'll give this a go, assuming they have it, and report back.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Icehaven on January 19, 2024, 11:41:55 AMI've seen the shops but as I don't like tea it's never interested me. Is it literally just fizzy tea?

You might be thinking of kombucha, which is a fermented tea from somewhere where they like that sort of thing. Supposed to be probiotic.

I think I tried one after it was on offer at the supermarket, but I can't remember if I liked it. I assume if I'd been disgusted I'd have some recollection, so I guess it's ok.

dontpaintyourteeth

one time I sucked the straw too hard and one of the tapioca bubbles went PHROOMP down my throat and I almost choked to death

dontpaintyourteeth

28 36 years old, I was :(

Icehaven

Quote from: Ray Travez on January 22, 2024, 07:27:25 AMYou might be thinking of kombucha, which is a fermented tea from somewhere where they like that sort of thing. Supposed to be probiotic.

I think I tried one after it was on offer at the supermarket, but I can't remember if I liked it. I assume if I'd been disgusted I'd have some recollection, so I guess it's ok.

My other half's mum was singing the virtues of kombucha she'd made a while ago as an IBS treatment. I haven't got IBS and it smelled awful though so I didn't partake.

Maurice Yeatman

touchingcloth

You see it called boba tea sometimes, which feels racist even if it isn't.

dontpaintyourteeth

Shaxberd

Tons of bubble tea places where I am, mostly Taiwanese. I think they started off going for the Chinese student market and have crept into the mainstream as places where teetotal Gen Z kids can go for a sit down and a chat that are open in the evenings but aren't loud and boozy.

I don't like the 'bubble' ones but a brown sugar milk tea isn't bad. There's a place in Birmingham Chinatown called Happy Lemon that does a cracking iced green tea with lemon, kicks the arse of that Lipton shite.

Zero Gravitas

tookish

I very occasionally get one. I'd have it every day if it wasn't over a fiver. My order is Earl Grey milk tea, sweetened- I don't drink tea with sugar when it's hot but for some reason when it's cold it really slaps

gib

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 20, 2024, 11:23:37 AMWife likes a dirty chai latte with boba but she is one of those people who don't notice the cooking oil has gone off.

cooking oil goes off?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Ray Travez on January 22, 2024, 07:27:25 AMYou might be thinking of kombucha, which is a fermented tea from somewhere where they like that sort of thing. Supposed to be probiotic.

That doesn't sound good. Antibiotics cure diseases, so logically probiotic things must cause diseases.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ray Travez on January 22, 2024, 07:27:25 AM
Quote from: Icehaven on January 19, 2024, 11:41:55 AMI've seen the shops but as I don't like tea it's never interested me. Is it literally just fizzy tea?

You might be thinking of kombucha, which is a fermented tea from somewhere where they like that sort of thing. Supposed to be probiotic.

I've never tried kombucha, but I do drink kefir which is fermented milk, and kind of like a runny yoghurt that's fizzy and sour. So I expect kombucha would be cold, sour, and, yes, fizzy.

I like kefir, but I can see why other people would be put off either at first because, as I say, it's milk which is fizzy and sour. Like you know when you take a glass of milk and squeeze some lemon and throw an Alka-Seltzer into it? What do you mean you've "never tried that and have no idea why anyone would ever be daft enough to"?

Ray Travez

I think I've had kefir, and liked it. (I'll buy anything that's been reduced to pennies in the supermarket). Quite interested in ferments at the moment- just made my first batch of sauerkraut and I'm pleased with it, definitely something I'll continue.

famethrowa

"i wanna suck hard and get balls in my mouth"

- you lot, 2024

dontpaintyourteeth

One time I drank too much kefir at work and went on to spend 60-70% of the rest of my shift shitting liquid 👍

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 05, 2024, 06:51:59 AMI think I've had kefir, and liked it. (I'll buy anything that's been reduced to pennies in the supermarket). Quite interested in ferments at the moment- just made my first batch of sauerkraut and I'm pleased with it, definitely something I'll continue.

If you are able to brew sauerkraut, you can brew kefir, for not much more than the price of milk because the grains last, grow and then multiply.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Brian Freeze on February 05, 2024, 08:12:42 AMthe grains last, grow and then multiply.

Yeah they fucking do, and it's hard to get them not to. We make yoghurt as well as kefir, and the utensils for both have to be pretty much quarantined from each other because if a molecule of kef gets in the yog then you end up with lumpy, fizzy yoghurt.

Fonz

Option for fruit 'pearls' which are bubbles filled with the juice of your choice.

Fun stuff.

Cheaper than a pint of Stella

steveh

The 'bubble' doesn't really refer to the tapioca balls. There was an earlier drink where the tea was shaken in crushed ice in a cocktail shaker resulting in a foam on the top but bubble stuck in the English name when the pearls came along.

This is a good summary of the origins: https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2018/11/13/2003704115.