Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:03:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coffee bastard

Started by touchingcloth, January 28, 2024, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Torpid

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on February 04, 2024, 08:54:43 PMI like his hair and glasses, are they meant to be bad?

He links his glasses in each video description, which is a bit much.

Brushfield British Round. Handmade of course. Just the frames though, you have to take them to your optician to fit the lenses.

"Traditional elegance at it's finest". Embarrassing use of greengrocer's apostrophe. Coffee Bastard wouldn't make a mistake like that.

FeederFan500

Quote from: Terry Torpid on February 04, 2024, 07:02:44 PM#TeamCoffeeBastard

This is the video that turned me round on him, where he tries all the Nespresso pods. He's rightly critical of evil Nestlé, but he's open minded about the technology, without compromising his beliefs about how inferior the results are, and he's diplomatic about the people who like them, without coming across judgemental.

I can't find the exact timestamp, but there's a bit where he says "Hmmm this tastes Ethiopian" (or whatever it was), then he checks and he's right. Skill McGill.

For some reason listening to him through speakers I can hear John Robins. In fact, I think that's why I took an immediate dislike to him, that authoritative tone but slightly 'soft' voice. Only difference is he said 'our friend' rather than 'your friend and mine'.

I do like his frankness though, it doesn't seem performative.

phes

Quote from: Terry Torpid on February 04, 2024, 04:06:13 PMIt's refreshing to see a YouTuber who doesn't insincerely rave about how great every product is. Coffee Bastard is firm but fair

According to his wiki, everything reviewed is purchased using his patreon donations. Much like Whisky Bastard Ralfy 

fancywookiee

Hoffman is a generally pretty decent guy and I have been subbed to his patreon for a while now. He very much does lean in to being a bit posh and ridiculous, but he genuinely knows his stuff about coffee.

His books about it are worth a read if you want to get *into coffee*, the World Atlas of Coffee is a very in-depth guide to different worldwide growing practices, the resulting flavour profiles etc. "How to Brew the Best Coffee at Home" is a lovely little book that's basically summarised years of research that him, his team and other coffee professionals have put in to maximising what the average person can do at home to brew a very nice cup of coffee using whatever they have at home.

He is a confirmed GBOL in my opinion.

Dex Sawash

Hiya coffee bastard's mum mate