Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:54:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What are my chances here?

Started by Jockice, February 01, 2024, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Right, I applied for something not long ago (an 'opportunity', and that's as far as I'm telling you) which had a deadline of a fortnight ago and the final decision was due to be made yesterday. But I heard nothing. So I sent a personal message to the person in charge today. Not a rude one, just asking if my application has been received and  asking why I hadn't heard anything.

Of course they were under no obligation to tell me anything but I applied for something else at the same place a while ago and had all sorts of problems with their application system, which seems to be allergic to my computer so I was worried that there was some sort of blockage. I didn't get chosen in the end but the whole thing has made me a bit paranoid.

Anyway, I've just received a reply saying that the decisions haven't gone out yet (which in my experience with that place is unusual. For all their faults they're pretty prompt) but they could confirm that my application had been received and read. Followed by a smiley face emoji, which has left me worried.

I don't like emojis at the best of times but especially not one which seems to give me hope but probably doesn't mean anything of the sort.

So do you reckon:
A) I already had no chance. Or
B) I might have had a chance if I hadn't contacted the boss, who is obviously now just playing with my emotions while crossing me off the list marked 'even vaguely possibles' and putting me in the one marked 'cheeky bastards.'?

I'm going for A myself but the outcome is likely to be the same anyway. Impatience is not a virtue.

Dr Rock

Build a big metal robot suit, and use it to demand the job. If they don't immediately say yes, spray the office with little jets that go up people's bums and explode. If the police turn up, hold them off by throwing cars at them, then fly off to Costa Rica or somewhere.

Jockice

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 01, 2024, 04:15:50 PMBuild a big metal suit, and use it to demand the job. If they don't immediately say yes, spray the office with little jets that go up people's bums and explode. If the police turn up, hold them off by throwing cars at them, then fly off to Costa Rica or somewhere.

And then send a smiley emoji to the boss just to prove my point.

thenoise

They'll probably give it to the bosses daughter or something. Your mistake was thinking you ever had a chance to begin with.

edit: hopefully not though. Best of luck! :)

Jockice

Quote from: thenoise on February 01, 2024, 04:20:02 PMThey'll probably give it to the bosses daughter or something. Your mistake was thinking you ever had a chance to begin with.

edit: hopefully not though. Best of luck! :)

Don't think the boss has a daughter but they'll probably just invent one to keep me out anyway now.

Update: The organisation involved has now sent out an official email apologising for the delay. So possibly I wasn't the only one wondering what was going on. But I'm probably the only one to message the boss on their personal phone number. Which I had for a reason not to do with this application. I don't think this person gives it out to a lot of people. So that's intrusion of privacy for a start...

Dr Rock

I think you'll be fine, MacDonalds hire even the stupidest twats.

dex

No news is good news I guess. They haven't said no yet.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Jockice on February 01, 2024, 04:02:22 PMI'm going for A myself but the outcome is likely to be the same anyway. Impatience is not a virtue.

Who was the reply from? I think the smiley face should be ignored lots of people just do this now being polite.  You never know Jockice but it's usually the case they contact the successful person and then await them accepting before they let everyone else know that the position has gone.  Simple fact is you are not going to know for sure until you know so I'd just hang on before buying any Ferraris.

Fair play for contacting them though showing you are keen will likely put you in good stead in the future : ) <---oh no look what I've done here : /

Yes my assumption would be that they'd offered it to someone else but are keeping options open until that person accepts.

Jockice

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on February 01, 2024, 04:37:03 PMWho was the reply from? I think the smiley face should be ignored lots of people just do this now being polite.  You never know Jockice but it's usually the case they contact the successful person and then await them accepting before they let everyone else know that the position has gone.  Simple fact is you are not going to know for sure until you know so I'd just hang on before buying any Ferraris.

Fair play for contacting them though showing you are keen will likely put you in good stead in the future : ) <---oh no look what I've done here : /

The person in charge. On their personal (non-work) phone number, which I'd never used before. I should at the very most have emailed them at their work address. I don't know why I did it except that I realised I had the number (can't even remember if the person concerned gave me it or I got it some other way) so thought I'd try and find out that way. Not my smartest move.

It's not a job as such anyway but I reckon the person who has got it already knows and they're just delaying the inevitable for everyone else. And I was a tit for asking about it.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Jockice on February 01, 2024, 04:53:24 PMThe person in charge. On their personal (non-work) phone number, which I'd never used before. I should at the very most have emailed them at their work address. I don't know why I did it except that I realised I had the number (can't even remember if the person concerned gave me it or I got it some other way) so thought I'd try and find out that way. Not my smartest move.

I wouldn't over think that too much it's fine you just tried to communicate with the means that you had no biggy imo.

Butchers Blind

My take on this is that they just plain don't like you.

touchingcloth

Out of interest, how many times did your original application say "and that's as far as I'm telling you"?

Jockice

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on February 01, 2024, 05:10:06 PMI wouldn't over think that too much it's fine you just tried to communicate with the means that you had no biggy imo.

Phew!

Jockice

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 01, 2024, 05:13:21 PMMy take on this is that they just plain don't like you.
[/quote
Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 01, 2024, 05:13:21 PMMy take on this is that they just plain don't like you.

Well I don't like myself much so that's nothing new or unexpected.

Jockice

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 01, 2024, 05:20:45 PMOut of interest, how many times did your original application say "and that's as far as I'm telling you"?

I couldn't possibly comment.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Jockice on February 01, 2024, 05:34:54 PMI couldn't possibly comment.

That's another good thing to say in applications.

If you get to interview, one technique I find useful is to answer a question with a question. For example, if they say "why don't you tell us about a time when you overcame a challenge?" you can say "why don't you tell me about a time when your mum overcame a challenge?"

Jockice

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 01, 2024, 05:40:24 PMThat's another good thing to say in applications.

If you get to interview, one technique I find useful is to answer a question with a question. For example, if they say "why don't you tell us about a time when you overcame a challenge?" you can say "why don't you tell me about a time when your mum overcame a challenge?"

Changing the subject slightly that reminds me of a nightmare interview I had at the BBC in the mid-90s. The first question was along those lines (although with the word 'determination' in there) but my mind went totally blank and I genuinely couldn't think of a single time in my entire life I'd done anything. At all. I can't even remember what my eventual answer was but they didn't seem impressed.

Just to make it worse I attempted to crack a joke after one of the questions and was met with tumbleweed from all three members of the panel. Shortly after that I realised that I'd been sitting with my left arm draped over my head and my hand touching my right ear. A position I don't think I've been in before or since.

I didn't get the job.

dontpaintyourteeth

A couple of weeks ago I had the worst interview of my entire fucking life and they offered me a job anyway, which led me to think that either a) nobody else turned up for the interviews or b) I've been doing interviews wrong the whole time and you're actually supposed to openly talk about how unsuited for the role you are.

Maybe they're doing like, a Producers thing or something.

Anyway I reckon you've nailed this jockice mate

BlodwynPig

Hi Jockice,

Thanks for applying for the position. Thought it would be easier to contact you here.

We've decided to hire you!!! Congrats. See you monday.

The Boss

The Roast Hog Male Sauna

TrenterPercenter

I drove all the way the Newcastle once to apply for job that wasn't the job I thought I was being interviewed for.  About halfway through I was like why are you asking me these questions and we worked it out that this wasn't the position i applied for.  They then bizarrely continued the interview and then in the most cringeworthy way "showed me the office" where I waved meekly at my obviously never to be co-workers.

A real sliding doors moment as if things had been different I might be living in Newcastle now.  In another Newcastle related story I once got fingered in a pub by a Geordie stranger.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on February 01, 2024, 06:14:57 PMI drove all the way the Newcastle once to apply for job that wasn't the job I thought I was being interviewed for.  About halfway through I was like why are you asking me these questions and we worked it out that this wasn't the position i applied for.  They then bizarrely continued the interview and then in the most cringeworthy way "showed me the office" where I waved meekly at my obviously never to be co-workers.

A real sliding doors moment as if things had been different I might be living in Newcastle now.  In another Newcastle related story I once got fingered in a pub by a Geordie stranger.

You're not welcome.

Same thing happened to me in Bristol.

Not welcome there.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: dex on February 01, 2024, 04:36:45 PMNo news is good news I guess.

Unless he was applying for a job at his local paper and had to send them in some news.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Nah, you've fucked it. Absolutely arsed it all up mate. Better go and put your head in a toilet.

Jockice

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 01, 2024, 08:48:22 PMNah, you've fucked it. Absolutely arsed it all up mate. Better go and put your head in a toilet.

My thoughts exactly!

Jerrykeshton

Jockice

Forgive the capitals and foul language here but I FUCKING GOT IT! Well our team (there are another two people involved but I'm the one who wrote the application and did most of the groundwork) have.

I'm genuinely surprised because we weren't even interviewed this time, which we were on a previous occasion when we were shortlisted. And on the last application we were neither interviewed nor shortlisted. So it just goes to show...something or other.

It's not a job as such but it is an artistic opportunity. Darlings. Mwah!

Forgive me for being insufferably smug here. I'm sure you can manage that. Or maybe you can't. But at the moment I simply don't care.

Smiley face.

Fambo Number Mive

TrenterPercenter

Calling GLEBE we need a dancing crab gif in here stat!

Well done Jockice I imagine this is the thing you mentioned to me about, congrats 🥂