Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:39:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mustard

Started by The F Bomb, February 04, 2024, 11:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best mustard style

English
24 (49%)
Dijon
11 (22.4%)
Wholegrain
11 (22.4%)
Other
2 (4.1%)
Yeller
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

The F Bomb

I have three types of mustard in the house. I can't decide which is the best.

Gut feeling, wholegrain is the most versatile and therefore my favourite. I like the extra tang and the texture, but I could probably do with a touch more heat. I would have this on a turkey sandwich.

Dijon is my least favourite but amazing in certain contexts. Nothing much else to say about it. Horrible colour, not a massive fan of the texture, neither one thing nor the other. I would use this in cooking.

English mustard is the most simplistic but very effective. I would have this on a beef sandwich and - trust me - a bacon and cheese raisin bagel.

And you?

checkoutgirl

Wholegrain is like a starter mustard and good on ham and beef sandwiches. Also good for sauces.

Dijon is in the cupboard but only used in cooking.

English mustard is only in powder form in the cupboard and the normal version I find too strong. You have to be very sparing on a sandwich.

The funniest mustard is Grey Poupon which is a French brand of Dijon I believe.

dex

Rake Yohn storms into thread...

hamfist

On a barbecued Cervelat

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I can eat the hottest chilli sauces and barely break a sweat, but English mustard feels like someone poured sulphuric acid on my head.

I'll go with wholegrain as my favourite. It doesn't blast my brain out of my nose and I like the texture.

El Unicornio, mang

English on a sandwich, American on a hot dog or burger.

madhair60

Jittlebags

Do you remember? Eh? Do you? When Colmans had a range of English, French, German and American mustards..

Zero Gravitas

Oh fuck you poll voters, just smear horseradish on everything.

English!?

Yeah it's nice in a ham sandwich, but it's not the best mustard.

Get a fucking grip.

Eraseya

Wholegrain is my go-to too, love that texture.

The F Bomb

A load of socks voted for Dijon, from looking at the names. Nice one.

RottonRaddish

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on February 04, 2024, 01:51:48 PMOh fuck you poll voters, just smear horseradish on everything.

English!?

Get a fucking grip.

Sod horseraddish. Tabasco! You can't kill Charlie unless you put Tabasco on everything!

touchingcloth

Context is everything. Wholegrain would be disappointing with a roast and outright disturbing in mayonnaise.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 04, 2024, 12:39:02 PMI'll go with wholegrain as my favourite. It doesn't blast my brain out of my nose and I like the texture.

Too much mustard gets up your nose? Rubbish.

Brian Freeze

English mustard powder made up with white wine vinegar instead of water is quite wild.

Best mustard was a horseradish and mustard one. Possibly from the Aisle of Wight.

wrec

As much as it pains me as an embittered copper-bearded Hibernian to admit the old enemy's superiority in any category of human endeavour, I believe the finest to be Coleman's English Mustard, purveyors of eye-watering condiments across Great Britain and Her Commonwealth by Royal Appointment of HRH since the year of our Lord 1814.

Do Coleman's still do French mustard? Liked that but don't remember seeing it since the 80s.

Psybro

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on February 04, 2024, 01:51:48 PMOh fuck you poll voters, just smear horseradish on everything.

English!?

Get a fucking grip.

English goes hard.  Makes me fucking proud in a famously bland culinary culture, we've developed a truly weapons-grade condiment.

Zero Gravitas

But English Mustard IS bland, don't confuse the fact it makes your nose run with flavour.

Poobum

Once I learned how to properly deploy the many mustards I learned to live. Also actual pure wasabi is up there in glory.

Icehaven

I shall be dolloping some Dijon into the cauliflower cheese I'm making later.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 04, 2024, 03:31:04 PMToo much mustard gets up your nose? Rubbish.
Why else would it come in powdered form?

Blumf

Slap on some English onto roughly cut ham, all in a crusty cob, makes you want to vote Brexit all over again.

Glebe

This thread doesn't cut the mustard. ;)

shoulders

QuoteWholegrain is like a starter mustard

Hmm, children don't like bits so I doubt that. German mustard is more starter mustard. Mild smooth and can be applied in ketchup style quantities.

I prefer Dijon overall. It hasn't the hit of English mustard but is more interesting than German mustard. It's versatile and simply a nice flavour. Apply to some milquetoast.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Do the French dabble in English mustard? I suspect it's way too hardcore for them, the soft bastards.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Icehaven on February 04, 2024, 03:57:32 PMI shall be dolloping some Dijon into the cauliflower cheese I'm making later.

Try a bit of horseradish in there as well, you won't regret it.

TrenterPercenter

Must be piss easy to make mustard at home - might have a go sometime.

Also different mustard for different thing obvs there is no best mustard as it is context dependent.  It's like saying what is the ointment? anusol, vagisil or bonjella.

shoulders

Colmans mustard powder instructions are just 'mix with water and vinegar' aren't they? But still, mustard is cheap so that is not an extra chore I can be arsed with.

Blumf

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on February 04, 2024, 05:39:50 PMIt's like saying what is the ointment? anusol, vagisil or bonjella.

TrenterPercenter

I think you can even go more feral than that in getting some mustard seeds and grinding them yourself, you can then open your own boutique and be referred to as the "Mustard Bastard".