Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:13:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Copying people.

Started by holyzombiejesus, February 09, 2024, 12:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: madhair60 on February 10, 2024, 03:39:46 PMall of my jokes

Makes sense to get the most out of your material and say your clever things to more than one person or group. Just try to remember who you've said them to, especially if you're pretending you've just thought of them in that moment.

Helvetica Scenario

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 10, 2024, 03:48:49 PMIs it Bird what's done the voices for the Tesco tills? I keep thinking it sounds a lot like Sunak but obvs isn't.

I've always thought it sounds like Talal from Alexei Sayle's podcast.

Ferris

Quote from: AllisonSays on February 09, 2024, 07:18:34 PMThe shit thing for me is that I've lived in Belfast, Dublin, south of England, north of England and Scotland in the last 15 years so my accent is a bizarre and alarming smorgasbord of the strongest accents our sceptered isles have to offer.

I also do this (Glaswegian family growing up in the west mids, then living in London, South Yorkshire, Edinburgh, New Zealand, the Midwest and now eastern Canada).

I like to think it makes me sound like a metropolitan "man of the world" Anglo, rather than the reality (a middle class Australian who's had a stroke).

All Surrogate

no_offenc

My partner is from norn iron and I've stolen so many bits of phrasing from them over the years.

dissolute ocelot

An American friend uses "Dude" as a general way of expressing that you've said something stupid or controversial. I started to use this quite a lot in the UK, without people generally having a clue what I'm getting at, they just think I'm a surfer or something.

In the late 90s/early 00s I worked with, fancied, then was mates with a girl whose entire vocabulary was seemingly based on the TV show Friends. A lot of which rubbed off one way or another, both from her and the actual TV show, so I ended up speaking like Chandler Bing without the jokes.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ferris on February 11, 2024, 12:41:53 AMI also do this (Glaswegian family growing up in the west mids, then living in London, South Yorkshire, Edinburgh, New Zealand, the Midwest and now eastern Canada).

I like to think it makes me sound like a metropolitan "man of the world" Anglo, rather than the reality (a middle class Australian who's had a stroke).

My accent hasn't changed much but my lexicon is a complete mashup. Using phrases like 'all round the wrekin' while drawing for 'gype' as an insult to much confusion.

Ferris

I've picked up a few, anything I do regularly is very east coast ("pahrk the kerr"), while perfectly cromulent lingo like round the Wrekin, ropey, gambol, retain a non-descript English burr. All over the shop, sounds ridiculous.