Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:18:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What is your ratio of serious posts to wacky ones

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, February 11, 2024, 12:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Used to have a decent balance both ways but I feel now it's easier to be glib and make stupid violence/wank based humour attempts rather than seriously engaging with the issues of the day. Thing is I do feel strongly about them but often don't feel I have much to say beyond Linehan/Starmer/Netanyahu is a cunt and the world is heartbreakingly callous and hostile towards anyone who doesn't fit the model of well off white man centrist western world straight cis smuggo and everything's lurching toward an unbelievably awful dystopia or just full on wasteland annhilalation depending on whether you're looking at short term or the longer term. Not acknowledging that in favour of being all jokey seems worse I suppose but I dunno. Or is gallows and or stupid humour the best defense mechanism against being unable to do anything about the state of everything being shit and hateful? Maybe it is. Or maybe it isn't. I do not know right now so SORRY

Anyway, what is your ratio of serious posts to wacky ones?

Dex Sawash

Ferris

Probably 90:10 wacky glib old shit where I'm taking the piss or delivering a drive-by pun, vs 3+ paragraphs about something I genuinely know/care about and have (what I consider to be) an informed opinion.

Broadly speaking, you can ignore what I have to say if under 3 paragraphs (likely unfunny or wide of the mark), or over 3 paragraphs (pompous uninformed or obvious bollocks).

The rest is solid gold!

non capisco

Barely often serious on here, aside from the raft of posts last year about my mum deteriorating and dying which was honestly cathartic to talk about to a bunch of (mostly) strangers. Regarding politics and the state of the world I feel like there are a ton of people on here that are more incisive and articulate than my dunce arse could ever hope to be on such things. CaB these days is broadly reflective of my own politics and not joining in on those discussions doesn't mean I'm not learning or gaining from them. I liken it to why I don't post that often in Deeper Into Movies despite being a big cineaste with Curzon and Mubi Go subscriptions up the wazzoo. I don't think I'm that great at describing why I like the art I like, same as in Oscillations.

CaB is still a vital source of pleasure in this stinkin' world, enjoy it and post what you feel you can offer and don't worry about it, I say.

I like the word "wacky".  It sums up the essence of things like Harry Hill waving his hands and sticking his tongue out during silly musical bits on TV Burp.

The F Bomb

I am completely serious and sincere in all of my posts but I disguise this truth with an illusion of irony.

Like so.

hamfist

Video Game Fan 2000

15% - "this cunt ___ yet" variatns
60% - unbearable contrived "thee penguin of dooomm!!" lolrandom whimsy bullshit
24.99999% - eight off topic paragraphs about the relationship between idealism and modern liberalism
0.00001% - something i should actually feel confident to post about (ie, super mario, my own farts)

Butchers Blind

Ferris

thenoise

madhair60

i don't know the ratio. i don't even really know what ratio means. but i know this: my posts are excellent.

Quote from: madhair60 on February 11, 2024, 06:54:39 PMi don't know the ratio. i don't even really know what ratio means. but i know this: my posts are excellent.

On Tizwas, when they announced "and now, by the miracle of the cathode ray-tube, we bring you one of Sally James's almost legendary pop interviews", I used to think she was saying 'Cato ratio' not 'cathode ray-tube'.

flotemysost

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on February 11, 2024, 12:02:38 AMThing is I do feel strongly about them but often don't feel I have much to say beyond Linehan/Starmer/Netanyahu is a cunt and the world is heartbreakingly callous and hostile towards anyone who doesn't fit the model of well off white man centrist western world straight cis smuggo and everything's lurching toward an unbelievably awful dystopia or just full on wasteland annhilalation depending on whether you're looking at short term or the longer term. Not acknowledging that in favour of being all jokey seems worse I suppose but I dunno.

Yep, I feel much the same. For the most part this place feels like a welcome oasis of decent values aligned with my own (as well as being a source of learning about these things, especially as I'm not on Twitter - there were points during lockdown where CaB was one of my only sources of news about some things, and I honestly found it immensely helpful) - but when it comes to actually contributing to the more serious/political threads, yeah, I'm neither online enough nor academic/well-informed enough to have much to add.

I'd hope that this doesn't lead anyone to conclude that I (or you, or anyone else) is a rabid Zionist climate-change-denying TERF, so I wouldn't worry about that. I'm also trying to remember that being mired in guilt and hand-wringing isn't useful to anyone; god knows I feel immensely guilty at times for being a right privileged twat or enjoying anything at all sometimes, given all the horrendous shit so many people are going through, but who does that help? Self-awareness is one thing but getting overwhelmed by the insanity of the world's injustice can just render you impotent with sadness and rage and that's not a great state to be in, though it can be easier said than done sometimes.

Quote from: non capisco on February 11, 2024, 12:50:09 AMI don't think I'm that great at describing why I like the art I like

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one as I always enjoy your writings about music, but it's sort of perversely reassuring that so many people feel these same insecurities.

At the end of the day, if something makes you happy (or feel anything at all) and you want to share that with other people, even a bunch of Internet wastrels, then in my books that is by definition a NICE THING. Plus there are so many people who actually get paid to do that and are fucking shit at it, look at Quentin Letts ffs, so really there's no need to be worried about publishing your thoughts for no recompense other than the joy of shared experience.

I should take my own advice and post more in the "cultural" forums but often I'm basically just too tired to formulate anything approaching sentient expression and it's much easier to be a silly billy, a daft 'a'p'th, and/or a nincompoop

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on February 11, 2024, 09:38:48 AMI like the word "wacky".  It sums up the essence of things like Harry Hill waving his hands and sticking his tongue out during silly musical bits on TV Burp.

Haha, agree. Also a big fan of "zany", "goofy" and "loopy"

Blue Jam

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: flotemysost on February 11, 2024, 08:22:59 PMYep, I feel much the same. For the most part this place feels like a welcome oasis of decent values aligned with my own (as well as being a source of learning about these things, especially as I'm not on Twitter - there were points during lockdown where CaB was one of my only sources of news about some things, and I honestly found it immensely helpful) - but when it comes to actually contributing to the more serious/political threads, yeah, I'm neither online enough nor academic/well-informed enough to have much to add.

Yeah same, since fucking off twitter I've been basically relying on CaB to keep me informed. So there's not really much to add in the opposite direction

Jerzy Bondov

I regret every serious post I make. At least if you're just making jokes you can't actually get stuff wrong. You can just go ahhh I was joking actually.

♫  Hegel, don't bother me ...  🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Kankurette

I save my wacky posts for the snooker and football threads.

Brundle-Fly

Ferris

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on February 11, 2024, 08:31:34 PMYeah same, since fucking off twitter I've been basically relying on CaB to keep me informed. So there's not really much to add in the opposite direction

I've done the same and the sheer breadth of anus gags I've picked up since making the change has been worth the price of admission.

A breath of fresh air.

The F Bomb

I'm forever grateful to those kind souls who keep us all breathlessly updated on global and political events and what we must think about them.

Whenever I catch up with friends and family, I'm sure to take a dozen newspapers under each arm and spend our leisure time explaining what the fuck is up.

Icehaven

If by "serious" you mean not trying to be funny then probably more than not, but generally about things that aren't actually that serious or important in the grand scheme of things. That's what I use CaB for tbh, I have thoughts about politics and all that but I'm not interested in discussing them on the internet, so anyone judging me by this place would think the most important issues in my life are the Captain Tom spa debacle, Gregg Wallace and 30 year old American sitcoms.

Paul Calf

Quote from: The F Bomb on February 11, 2024, 09:54:46 AMI am completely serious and sincere in all of my posts but I disguise this truth with an illusion of irony.

Like so.

I am extremely dry. All my posts are hilarious, but have multiple levels of depth and meaning and only very astute people can parse them.

madhair60

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 12, 2024, 09:07:43 AMI am extremely dry. All my posts are hilarious, but have multiple levels of depth and meaning and only very astute people can parse them.

this is brilliant.