Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:11:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Suggestions for interesting shops in Liverpool - DVDs, books, culty stuff...

Started by George White, March 11, 2019, 07:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

KennyMonster

There's a lefty bookshop near the arts centre/theatre/cinema.

fucked if i can remember the name of the area though.

holyzombiejesus

Last I heard all the decent shops had gone. Hairy Records was "boss" but the owner has sold up apparently. Don't think that the Afflecks style place is there any more either.

Probe has moved to the Bluecoat Gallery; they had a decent bookshop there last time I went (although that was ages ago).

There's a good junk/ antique shop. Go up Bold Street and turn left along Renshaw Street. It's called 69A.

buttgammon

Quote from: KennyMonster on March 11, 2019, 07:43:07 PM
There's a lefty bookshop near the arts centre/theatre/cinema.

fucked if i can remember the name of the area though.

News from Nowhere on Bold Street? It's great, go there!

justin_bennett

idunnosomename

The Oxfam on Bold St near the bombed-out church (St Luke's) is worth a root round for books and records etc

buzby

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 11, 2019, 07:55:45 PM
Last I heard all the decent shops had gone. Hairy Records was "boss" but the owner has sold up apparently. Don't think that the Afflecks style place is there any more either.

Probe has moved to the Bluecoat Gallery; they had a decent bookshop there last time I went (although that was ages ago).

There's a good junk/ antique shop. Go up Bold Street and turn left along Renshaw Street. It's called 69A.

The 'Afflecks Palace' place is Quiggins - it moved to the Grand Central on Renshaw St (at the top of Bold St, heading back towards the station. It eventually closed. but it's reopened was a hotel.restraurant/market complex. There's also 81 Renshaw St along there which ha sa record shot too, and quite a few other antique/junk shops and independent cafes along that street. If you have time, carry on south past St. Lukes church (the bombed-out church) along Berry St. and you come to Chinatown. If you walk up the hill on Upper Duke St. you come to the Anglican Cathedral - a truly awe-inspiring building inside and out, and you can pay to go up the belltower too (unfortunately you have just missed the Knife Angel sculpture).

If you carry on down through Chinatown you come to hipster central, the Baltic Quarter (eurgh, I hate that name) around the Parliament St/St/. James St/Jamaica St area. There's loads of stuff in the old Cain's Brewery site on the other side of Parliament St. too.

Moving down towards town from St. Lukes is the Bold St/Wood St area mentioned previously in the thread, with News from Nowhere (and Forbidden Planet next door)and Maggie Mays cafe, The Kasbah african cafe, FACT, The Swan pub, Oxfam, Rennies Art shop and gallery, 3Beat Records on Slater St.. when you get to the bottom at Hanover St. you then enter the cultural void that is Liverpool One, but if you carry on through it to Mann Island and the Pier Head there is the Open Eye Gallery (in the big black lego block building in Mann Island), the British Music Experience museum in the old Docks & Harbour Board building and the 'World Museum' (can't miss it, it looks like a concrete skate park) and the Maritime Museum and Tate Liverpool in the Albert Dock.

Flatulent Fox

Hey! I was looking for such a forum, I know it is old but maybe you can recommend me now what I can visit in Liverpool? I am going there next month.