Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:48:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pain in the eBay arse

Started by kalowski, August 30, 2020, 07:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Travez sounds Cuban to me, therefore  commie.

kalowski

I have a saved search for "Cuba vinyl records" (although there's never much out there).
But for some reason I get Sarah Brightman and I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper often appearing in the results.

buttgammon

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 22, 2022, 12:26:18 AMEbay have taken down my listing of a shekere (percussion instrument made from a gourd) because I happened to mention in the description that it had the word 'Cuba' inscribed on it. Apparently I can't sell it because the United States has an embargo on Cuba.

It was bought in a charity shop in North Yorkshire, and I am selling it from a house in North Yorkshire. I am nowhere near the United States or Cuba and have never been to the United States or Cuba. I find it somewhat weird that I'm not allowed to do local business within the UK due to the US foreign policy.

That's really stupid. Also, isn't there some limited trade now? I know you're still not allowed to sell Cuban cigars in the US but you can bring in a small quantity from abroad, for example.

Ray Travez

Quote from: kalowski on February 22, 2022, 08:46:02 AMI have a saved search for "Cuba vinyl records" (although there's never much out there).

Now you know why. That Cuban music's come from CUBA!

Ray Travez

Quote from: buttgammon on February 22, 2022, 09:00:02 AMThat's really stupid. Also, isn't there some limited trade now?

I wouldn't know. Ebay has these weird rules. They would let me sell a book called "The Coronavirus Crisis," as they were clamping down on people 'selling cures for covid', apparently. This was a book by the editor of The Lancet, a respected publication, so you'd think that would be ok. But no, they have to put a blanket ban on any auction with covid or coronavirus in the title or description.

buttgammon

If nothing else, these arbitrary rules continue to make eBay feel like it's both stuck in the past and in an entirely different dimension to the ŕest of the internet.

Brian Freeze

We've got a spinning wheel to get rid of and the fucking about with posting it or not is really putting us off trying to sell it on ebay. How bad can it be?

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Brian Freeze on February 23, 2022, 09:10:22 AMWe've got a spinning wheel to get rid of and the fucking about with posting it or not is really putting us off trying to sell it on ebay. How bad can it be?

If it spins straw into gold, I'll offer you £15 for it, so long as you're not sending it with Hermes.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Brian Freeze on February 23, 2022, 09:10:22 AMWe've got a spinning wheel to get rid of and the fucking about with posting it or not is really putting us off trying to sell it on ebay. How bad can it be?

Sell it to @Attila CaB's non-tosser spinner

Janie Jones

It'll be fine. Obtain a big enough box (bins and skips around light industrial units are good for packaging), do your measuring and weighing, find a courier who'll collect - I've had very few problems with Hermes - charge the correct amount for shipping, offer collection as an option. Selling stuff 'collection only' slashes your available market and your final selling price.

I have no idea what a spinning wheel is worth; check the insurance your courier offers if it's a valuable item.

Janie Jones

The next step after the sale, if you're me, is to immediately fill all that lovely space you've just created with more shite.

Attila

What kind of wheel, Brian, and where are you located?

You can PM me if you would like advice on  listing/shipping/pricing it -- a lot of the ones I see in the UK are 'collection only' or you get the buyer to arrange for a courier.

Ta for the shoutout, Dex!

holyzombiejesus

Is it worth listing magazines any more? Got the last 10 or 11 years of Sight and Sound but would have to list collection only.  When I moved house I got loads of money for a decades worth of The Face and Vice but not sure if film people are that arsed.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Janie Jones on February 23, 2022, 11:17:55 AMIt'll be fine. Obtain a big enough box (bins and skips around light industrial units are good for packaging), do your measuring and weighing, find a courier who'll collect - I've had very few problems with Hermes - charge the correct amount for shipping, offer collection as an option. Selling stuff 'collection only' slashes your available market and your final selling price.

I have no idea what a spinning wheel is worth; check the insurance your courier offers if it's a valuable item.

Thanks for the advice, how much bubble wrap would you be putting on stuff like that? I have a tendency to go over the top and dont know if its overkill for a dedicated courier service.

Attila

Quote from: Brian Freeze on February 23, 2022, 07:58:56 PMThanks for the advice, how much bubble wrap would you be putting on stuff like that? I have a tendency to go over the top and dont know if its overkill for a dedicated courier service.

You want to pack it so that all the moving parts are secure -- a real nest. If it's a modern wheel, like an Ashford or Louet, you can diassemble it -- that's how they arrive when you buy them new (you'd put that in the listing).

Otherwise you can list that it's pick up, only. You can also put in the listing that the buyer can arrange for the courier otherwise -- I've seen that on listings.

Otherwise otherwise -- find out where the nearest spinning/weaving guild is. You should be able quickly to sell it to that lot -- whenever people bring wheels and looms to my guild people pounce on them, especially if you contact the guild secretery/chair ahead of time, so they can let people know.

To find your local guild:

https://www.wsd.org.uk/

Every month when I go to mine, people show up with looms, wheels, and other equipement to sell, and it flies out of there. You do not have to be a member of the guild to sell anything.

Brian Freeze

That is all extremely helpful, thanks again.

beanheadmcginty

If anybody still has any of their old original big box Amiga games, you should definitely put them on ebay. The prices are astonishing. Moonstone and Zak McKracken going for over 250 quid!
Of course my mum chucked all mine in the landfill 20 years ago.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 24, 2022, 02:01:59 PMIf anybody still has any of their old original big box Amiga games, you should definitely put them on ebay. The prices are astonishing. Moonstone and Zak McKracken going for over 250 quid!
Of course my mum chucked all mine in the landfill 20 years ago.

I've a few boxed Amiga games still, don't know if any are special. Will have to have a look now.

Catalogue of ills

Someone has just massively overbid on some vinyl I put on eBay. I should be pleased because they've given me a fair whack of money, but now I'm just waiting for them to come back at me when they've listened to it and tried to find fault with it and beat me down. I only put it on as Good for both the vinyl and the cover, and it's probably better than that - I did that precisely because I didn't want any bullshit. But they'll probably give me bullshit anyway.

Malcy

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on March 12, 2022, 12:12:42 PMSomeone has just massively overbid on some vinyl I put on eBay. I should be pleased because they've given me a fair whack of money, but now I'm just waiting for them to come back at me when they've listened to it and tried to find fault with it and beat me down. I only put it on as Good for both the vinyl and the cover, and it's probably better than that - I did that precisely because I didn't want any bullshit. But they'll probably give me bullshit anyway.

Vinyl is a tough one. Did you add the old 'based on Record Collector' grading or whatever it is on the listing?

I've bought plenty of vinyl off eBay graded various categories, same from Discogs and it is far from consistent but i reckon that line will cover you in the eventuality of a dispute.

It could almost be like a disclaimer that protects you in the event of this.

Also if anyone is selling vinyl, i know rules prevent it from being publicly put on here but always feel free to send a message to me with eBay/Discogs/whatever links.

I had a vinyl listing pulled by eBay as it's an 80's Pink Floyd picture disc with an interview with Nick Mason - unofficial bootleg FFS. Discogs won't have it either. Anyone know an online platform that would be ok with it?

I was enough of a teenage mug to buy it 30 years ago and it's been sat in numerous lofts/garages since. Record fairs have dried up since covid.

Malcy

Quote from: Toxteth OGrady on March 12, 2022, 06:01:43 PMI had a vinyl listing pulled by eBay as it's an 80's Pink Floyd picture disc with an interview with Nick Mason - unofficial bootleg FFS. Discogs won't have it either. Anyone know an online platform that would be ok with it?

I was enough of a teenage mug to buy it 30 years ago and it's been sat in numerous lofts/garages since. Record fairs have dried up since covid.

I can understand Discogs not allowing a sale as it is a bootleg but there are as many bootlegs as official releases on eBay. What reason did they give for pulling it? Just that it was a bootleg?

Only advice I could give there would be maybe try a forum or Pink Floyd fan site type thing? I'm looking for eBay/Discogs alternatives if anyone has any as there are some things i just cannot find.

holyzombiejesus

I bought a book off eBay last week, described as like new, and when it arrived there was an After Eight mint squished between the back page and dust jacket. All smeared it was. Got a full refund and the book for free but feel a bit queasy about it tbh.

Captain Z

Well, they clearly stated mint condition.

Malcy

Quote from: Captain Z on March 12, 2022, 06:19:21 PMWell, they clearly stated mint condition.

Not even one for the 'last post that made you laugh out loud thread. Contender for best.

Quote from: Malcy on March 12, 2022, 06:05:32 PMI can understand Discogs not allowing a sale as it is a bootleg but there are as many bootlegs as official releases on eBay. What reason did they give for pulling it? Just that it was a bootleg?

Only advice I could give there would be maybe try a forum or Pink Floyd fan site type thing? I'm looking for eBay/Discogs alternatives if anyone has any as there are some things i just cannot find.

Overall it was pulled as counterfeit or an unauthorised copy. Small print includes bootlegs. Fair play it's by no means an official release:

https://www.discogs.com/release/4987852-Pink-Floyd-Limited-Edition-Interview-Picture-Disc-

And well in Captain Z

Malcy

Quote from: Toxteth OGrady on March 12, 2022, 06:50:09 PMOverall it was pulled as counterfeit or an unauthorised copy. Small print includes bootlegs. Fair play it's by no means an official release:

https://www.discogs.com/release/4987852-Pink-Floyd-Limited-Edition-Interview-Picture-Disc-

And well in Captain Z

Could it be a block from Floyd's label?

touchingcloth

Eric Clapton spent years going through the courts to sue some widow who was selling a concert bootleg CD online in amongst her husband's effects. eBay are probably just trying to stop any chance of similar things happening due to other artists being equally large cunts.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Captain Z on March 12, 2022, 06:19:21 PMWell, they clearly stated mint condition.

You could have done even better. They said like new, which is 'near mint'.

touchingcloth

It would be good if you won the auction with a £7.99 winning bid and the mint was their way of telling you they were hoping for more.