Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:39:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking KULA SHAKER are back now?

Started by Ron Maels Moustache, January 05, 2024, 01:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Jesus Christ. So following hot on the heels of Squire and Gallagher returning in Britain's hour of need like a pair of parka-wearing King Arthurs, it's now the turn of SIR CRISP IAN MILLS to reclaim his place at the table.

Where even to begin with this. Fucking hell.

I'd go with wretched cringey pastiche psychedelia that might've been excusable 30 years ago as youthful naivety but is utterly embarrassing for men in their fifties to be peddling, paired with a visible desperation to evoke the iconography of a decade tainted not only by subsequent events that were a direct consequence of it, but also by the appalling views and dubious political history of the bloke at the centre of it all trying to convince you it's 1996 again.

I suppose it is kind-of bitterly funny that a band that once proclaimed how much they hated all black music genres have now recorded what is essentially a disco tune.

It appears we've escaped the neverending eighties revival only to became ensnared  ETERNAL BRITPOP LAMAQC COOL BRITTANIA TFI FRIDAY HELLSCAPE where the NME Never Ended.

Sorry Barry, can this be moved to Oscillations? Was clearly RAGING so much I posted in the wrong forum.

Blumf

dontpaintyourteeth

They've been "back" for some time now haven't they? I think they've made a few albums the last few years. It's just nobody has paid any attention to them.

idunnosomename

I think there's another row of panels to that Viz strip

gilbertharding

Look - for the last time, it's an ancient Hindu symbol for the sun, OK?

Embarrassed to say I quite liked their cringey pastiche psychedelic thing at the time. Fuck all that now though. Dreadful.

Senior Baiano

Musical hot take- Kula Shaker could have really had something with 'Tattva'- there's a couple of seconds, with the music crescendoing and cuntpian sounding proper mental repeating the mantra over and over, when it sounds like it's about to go somewhere interesting. Instead it just goes shit again (musicological term).

Blumf

JesusAndYourBush

I remember someone being irrationally furious after Chris Moyles called them Peela Tater.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 05, 2024, 01:53:58 PMI remember someone being irrationally furious after Chris Moyles called them Peela Tater.

Are you sure they weren't just being rationally furious that Chris Moyles was allowed to be on the radio?

Blue Jam

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 05, 2024, 01:53:58 PMI remember someone being irrationally furious after Chris Moyles called them Peela Tater.

That was Mark and Lard:

the ouch cube

Britpop Bri is the only 100% realistic Viz strip with no exaggerating necessary

Sebastian Cobb

Red82

The very worst Britpop band. No one else comes close to them.

Blumf

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 05, 2024, 02:50:30 PMas if by magic he just posted the full strip

Lee Healey is watching you

(can't find a Roy Wood is Watching You strip anywhere online)

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on January 05, 2024, 01:17:06 PMI suppose it is kind-of bitterly funny that a band that once proclaimed how much they hated all black music genres have now recorded what is essentially a disco tune.

I love disco and that ain't disco.

I always thought Kula Shaker were a gigantic bag of bollocks but I guess they were at least distinctive and memorable. This new one however is spectacularly unmemorable. How can something with a such diverse influences be that fucking bland?

What does Crispy Ian need the money for anyway? What did he even need the money for in the first place?

Kankurette

Fair fucks to them for singing in Sanskrit, but I was never a big fan. Everything they did after K was wank and they haven't aged well - if they came out now, as a new band, they'd be #cancelled to hell and back.

Every other Britpop band got back together and did new stuff, so not surprised Kula Shaker are doing it. Incidentally, they had a rivalry of sorts with Space and I love how both bands' keyboard players have become significantly hairier and are unrecognisable compared to what they looked like in the '90s, except Franny Griffiths looks like something out of Game of Thrones and Jay Darlington looks like a Rick Wakeman cosplayer.

ETA: listened to it and they haven't moved on at all from 1996. Jesus tapdancing Christ. Did they come out of stasis or something?

lauraxsynthesis

Still in General Bullshit I see. I don't care what you Oscillations snobs think, I love K and still listen to it. Admittedly, I'll forgive Crispian a lot because I like his mum's and his grandparents' films. Also, when I saw Jez Butterworth's play Jerusalem he and Hayley were sat behind me being absolutely adorable together clearly enjoying each other's company which is nice to see.

Anyway, here's my fave ending from an episode of This Morning With Richard Not Judy when Rich insisted they do Hinduism for a change. What a great show that was. I didn't appreciate at the time how lucky we were to have so much scripted comedy alas how things have changed.

shiftwork2

Fambo Number Mive

I used to have a Top of the Pops cassette and Kula Shaker's Mystical Machine Gun was on there, it's the only Kula Shaker song I've heard and I used to really like it. Thought it was pretty creative. Before it on the tape was "You Stole the Sun from my Heart" by the Manics.

Sebastian Cobb

Kula SHIT more like, cheers.

One of the ones where you copy or rip it off a mate then regret it taking up the medium. If it were minidisc or MP3 you probably deleted most of it in disgust.

dontpaintyourteeth

I had a cassette someone made for me that had Peasants, Pigs & Astronauts on one side and You've Come a Long Way, Baby by Fatboy Slim on the other

edit: they were both shit albums. alright cheers

Butchers Blind

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on January 05, 2024, 03:40:50 PMIncidentally, they had a rivalry of sorts with Space

I remember hearing an interview with Space where they were asked about Kula Shaker and one of them blurted out "I HOPE THEY GET DELHI BELLY!"

Rizla

Ah, the "Ginger Baker Baker, Trout Farm" hitmakers.

I recall that Fauntleroy the singer and his very young stepdad did a white power themed rock band before.  Keyboard player was in the Aardvarks, they were ok, albeit they sounded exactly like Tomorrow.

jobotic

That sounds just like The Charlatans, which was The Charlatans' problem.

God I fucking hate Britpop.

Blue Jam

How many music videos start with a fake TV presenter introducing a band on a fake TV show? Can't be that many but it's still enough to be a cliché:

I can forgive The Third Degree though because this is actually good.

iamcoop

I quite liked K when it came out, although to be fair to myself I was about 11. I think it's probably better than anything Oasis did but that's a very low bar, obviously.

He's quite a good guitar player, in a 'just copying Hendrix' type of way. I think that's about the most I can summon up about them.

Didn't he do a racism and then leave music for years to use all his trust fund money to produce films?