Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:31:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking KULA SHAKER are back now?

Started by Ron Maels Moustache, January 05, 2024, 01:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

The visuals are screaming 'PSYCHEDELIA!!!' but that is one of the least psychedelic pieces of music I've ever heard. What a bunch of frauds Kula Shaker are.

Kankurette

Did Crispy really say he hates all black music?
Quote from: Blue Jam on January 05, 2024, 05:43:49 PMI remember hearing an interview with Space where they were asked about Kula Shaker and one of them blurted out "I HOPE THEY GET DELHI BELLY!"
Was it on Radio City? They had a running gag on the Third Degree (RIP) where they'd play some Indian music at Space and pretend it was Kula Shaker and Tommy and his minions would start yelling 'get out'. The presenter also suggested a Scouse version of Govinda that went 'go cash your giro, giro...'

MrMealDeal

Quote from: Red82 on January 05, 2024, 03:04:09 PMThe very worst Britpop band. No one else comes close to them.

What about Menswe@r?

Kankurette

I see your Menswear and raise you Embrace.

dontpaintyourteeth

Mister Six

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on January 05, 2024, 05:14:55 PMI love K and still listen to it.

Yeah, there are some good tracks on there. I think a lot of the original mockery was just music mag wanker posturing because they were a bunch of posh lads led by a bloke called Crispin and they didn't write songs about being working class and English, and then that kind of got drilled into everyone's heads when they were in their formative years, so "Kula Shaker are shit" became a kind of knee-jerk received wisdom.

Not listened to the new album, mind you, because I can't be arsed.

Quote from: iamcoop on January 05, 2024, 06:26:21 PMDidn't he do a racism

IIRC he didn't say anything racist, he said that he liked swastikas - which are spiritual symbols in the East and were around for thousands of years before being co-opted by the Nazis, and obviously that's what he was going on about, the way he wanks on about Indian culture. But of course the UK music press did a lot of bad faith reporting because they're all tedious cunts who'll never turn down the opportunity to act like cocks.

madhair60

i think the song in the OP is beautiful and genuinely might be my favourite record of all time.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Mister Six on January 05, 2024, 07:05:54 PMI think a lot of the original mockery was just music mag wanker posturing because they were a bunch of posh lads led by a bloke called Crispin and they didn't write songs about being working class and English, and then that kind of got drilled into everyone's heads when they were in their formative years, so "Kula Shaker are shit" became a kind of knee-jerk received wisdom.

No it's because they were rubbish.  They also happened to be a bunch of posh lads led by a bloke called Crispian.  Crispin we could have tolerated.

dontpaintyourteeth

dr beat

Quote from: Kankurette on January 05, 2024, 06:54:36 PMI see your Menswear and raise you Embrace.

I see you and raise you Bennet.  Mum's Gone to Iceland indeed.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 05, 2024, 07:35:24 PMNo it's because they were rubbish.  They also happened to be a bunch of posh lads led by a bloke called Crispian.  Crispin we could have tolerated.

You need to fire up some Longpigs to tolerate a Britpop band fronted by a bloke called Crispin.

Beagle 2

I liked them back then because I didn't know any different and I would just buy whatever the NME said was good. The cringey cultural appropriation went over my head when I was 15. Then the NME decided they were shit and that was that. A few decent tunes off K I think.

I've followed Crispian since he popped back up a few years ago on Instagram out of morbid curiosity and what can I say, he's a daft posh lad playing at being a rock star. Fair few of them kicking about. They offend me less than a lot of the 90s nostalgia lot that are clinging on to remind me of a shit adolescence.

LordMorgan

Quote from: jobotic on January 05, 2024, 05:58:47 PMThat sounds just like The Charlatans, which was The Charlatans' problem.

God I fucking hate Britpop.

I fuckin love britpop

dontpaintyourteeth

jobotic

I think I may have said I hate it before, to be fair.

Kankurette

One for the hot take thread: I liked Bennet.
Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 05, 2024, 07:35:24 PMNo it's because they were rubbish.  They also happened to be a bunch of posh lads led by a bloke called Crispian.  Crispin we could have tolerated.
Exhiit A: Longpigs.

I do think Kula Shaker got a lot of shit for being posh because the '90s music press thought working-class bands except Space were more authentic or something but lbr, they only really had one decent album. Mystical Machine Gun was cack. I don't remember Rialto getting as much flak despite having an actual aristocrat as a singer, but them being smaller and not banging on about India helped.

dontpaintyourteeth

Kankurette

Were they better or worse than Kula Shaker?

A couple of years ago, when I was doing the Britpop Curious quizzes in lockdown, there was a guy in the chat who was obsessed with Rialto. He was always asking for Rialto questions.

dontpaintyourteeth

Dunno. I only know that Monday Morning 5.19 song, which I hate

Goldentony

John Earls every 18 months of Planet Sounds existence -

QuoteFucking KULA SHAKER are back now?

badaids

I couldn't believe when their bassist joined Tindersticks. Devastating.

Crispin fucking Mills Wikipedia page, clearly written by the man truly, is a sight to behold.

dontpaintyourteeth

I forgot the cunt was on Fat of the Land

Kankurette

Goldentony

which award show was it where the singer for these cunts goes LADIES AND GENTLEMEN I NOW INVITE YOU TO KISS THE DEVILS ARSE before launching into something that sounds like the song off The Family Ness

Quote"Hitler knew a lot more than he made out"
Quote"The Nazis studied the Vedas, the scriptures, the Holy Grail ... They were also into magic and all that"
Quote"You can see why Hitler got support. It was probably the uniforms that swung it"
All said in an interview with the NME itself, ffs. He hung his own bloody noose.

Quote from: badaids on January 05, 2024, 08:48:25 PMCrispin fucking Mills Wikipedia page, clearly written by the man truly, is a sight to behold.
Conveniently leaves out the part about actual far-right links in his youth as well

Good Hank

I remember trying to chat up a girl at some student night and she told me that she'd been to a gig which was a transcendental experience. She'd gone to see Kula Shaker.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Goldentony on January 05, 2024, 08:55:49 PMwhich award show was it where the singer for these cunts goes LADIES AND GENTLEMEN I NOW INVITE YOU TO KISS THE DEVILS ARSE before launching into something that sounds like the song off The Family Ness

Haha! They wish.

daf

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 05, 2024, 02:00:36 PMThat was Mark and Lard:

I'm fairly sure they also played it to the band half way through their live session (as they did to most of the big Britpop bands they had in - Blur, Supergrass, Pulp etc). Went down EXACTLY as well as you'd imagine!

On the flip side, Sleeper were so pleased with their "Ugly Bleeder" pisstake, they put it out themseves as a b-side!

QuoteB2 (although not credited as such here) does not feature Sleeper at all. It is a parody with new lyrics by Radio 1's Mark and Lard, recorded for their show as Ugly Bleeder by Cheeper and later released on their The Shirehorses present... the worst... album in the world...ever...EVER! album.
https://www.45cat.com/record/sleep013f

idunnosomename

Quote from: badaids on January 05, 2024, 08:48:25 PMCrispin fucking Mills Wikipedia page, clearly written by the man truly, is a sight to behold.
just found this. Excruciating detail

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crispian_Mills

dungbeetle kpi

The idea that thinking Kula Shaker are shit is "received wisdom" rather than based on solid, inarguable, empirical evidence is very very funny.