Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:37:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Phill Niblock

Started by Famous Mortimer, January 09, 2024, 04:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

One of the best to ever do it, creator of some of the most exciting / interesting experimental music ever. I used to play "Trombone Piece" on my headphones at work, and one of my co-workers, genuinely concerned, asked me if I was feeling alright. I understand.

https://thequietus.com/articles/33718-phill-niblock-obituary

chutnut

That sucks, used to listen to       Guitar Too, For Four loads when I was a teenager. I haven't really checked out much of his other stuff though tbf

dontpaintyourteeth

I saw him live once and it was great, proper hypnotic, good gear that

dontpaintyourteeth

I'm pretty sure he admitted that he usually just pressed play on a file then sat and played solitaire at his gigs but it doesn't matter the music was GOOD

Key

When I saw this news last night it put me on a right downer before bed, (though he was getting on a bit I knew it was coming), hope somebody checks on Terry Riley

One of the few guys who genuinely changed how I thought about music and sound. He made it ok to do virtually nothing at all and still make compelling beautiful music out of it - music that both helps to block out the world and give you a greater appreciation of it.
Four Full Flutes must be one of my all time most played records, and his albums on Touch have put me in many a pleasant trance.

I only recently learned that his musical epiphany came when he was on a motorbike following a truck and the sound of their engines synched up with each other.
R.I.P. Phill.

jobotic

RIP

Niblock, Jack, Rehberg. Touch's roster is diminishing.

Four Full Flutes is indeed lovely.