Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:08:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

McCartney (Paul McCartney album) 1970

Started by kalowski, January 11, 2024, 08:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Coupled with my recent re-listening to Beatles for Sale I've been digging on Paul's debut album, where Macca plays every instrument. It was slated on release, not least because Paul was "breaking up The Beatles" but I love its lo-fi, aimless style. I think some commentators have come to a similar conclusion now and I agree with Neil Young: "I loved that record because it was so simple. And there was so much to see and to hear. It was just Paul. There was no adornment at all ... There was no attempt made to compete with the things he had already done. And so out he stepped from the shadow of the Beatles."
It's just a lovely album to settle down with.

LordMorgan

I think it's so beautifully wholesome.
One of my favourite records of his

I think with McCartney 3 he went back to that rustic vibe

I love listening to 1/2/3 back to back now

But yeah, McCartney is a splendid album and I think it must have taken some balls to make this artistic statement after the Beatles

Fuckit. I'm going to put it on right now

kalowski

Who else was doing the "plays all the instruments" recording at that time?
Skip Spence, I guess, but I can't think of anyone else.

Beagle 2

I'm a solo Macca apologist and a huge fan of lo-fi music, but I have to say I do find most of this album tossed off and pointless. I think it's disingenuous to say that he was following any sort of artistic vision, he was cobbling together old unused bits and pieces and too distracted to put the effort in on the rest. It's my least favourite of the three McCartneys. Still some nice moments obviously, and I would love to own a copy just for that gorgeous cover.

Head Gardener

Not as good as Ram but way better than Wild Life

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: kalowski on January 11, 2024, 09:51:39 PMWho else was doing the "plays all the instruments" recording at that time?

Emitt Rhodes. Huge McCartney fan, who recorded alone three albums on his home studio between 1970 and 1973. Slightly prejudiced, however.

C_Larence

I suspect that was autocorrect, but just to be pedantic his name was Emmitt.

You'd never know he liked McCartney!

Todd Rundgren's self produced "A Wizard, a True Star" was made in 1972 too.

kalowski

And of course his Something/Anything has three sides where he plays everything.

fuzzyste

I love getting stoned to this album, one of my favourites for sure. I can only imagine what people thought of it when it was released. Whilst Lennon's debut is also great, its fucking depressing as fuck at least Macca has fun with this. Theres a few times where he goes way up his own arse but it all just kinda works?

Man we was lonely, what a fucking tune that is.

Brundle-Fly

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: C_Larence on January 16, 2024, 04:24:15 PMTodd Rundgren's self produced "A Wizard, a True Star" was made in 1972 too.

No, he had a band for most of that one (although he did do all the vocals, and some short tracks were just him).

His first two albums in 1970 and 1971 before Something/Anything? (Runt and Ballad of Todd Rundgren) and some Nazz sessions before that had one or two tracks with him performing everything.

Playing sax in 1969:

pupshaw

Quote from: kalowski on January 11, 2024, 09:51:39 PMWho else was doing the "plays all the instruments" recording at that time?

Roy Wood done it in 1969, all except for harmonium on one track. He even designed and painted the sleeve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulders_(album)

C_Larence

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on January 16, 2024, 06:13:27 PMNo, he had a band for most of that one (although he did do all the vocals, and some short tracks were just him).

His first two albums in 1970 and 1971 before Something/Anything? (Runt and Ballad of Todd Rundgren) and some Nazz sessions before that had one or two tracks with him performing everything.

Playing sax in 1969:

Oh my mistake, I was going off of what wikipedia said as I've only very recently forayed into his work.

kalowski

Quote from: pupshaw on January 16, 2024, 06:22:00 PMRoy Wood done it in 1969, all except for harmonium on one track. He even designed and painted the sleeve.

Bloody hell, of course. I have that record.

kalowski

Coming back to this, I have also been delving back into Band on the Run which is also a fucking cracker of an album. No bad songs on that album

Ferris

Quote from: pupshaw on January 16, 2024, 06:22:00 PMRoy Wood done it in 1969, all except for harmonium on one track. He even designed and painted the sleeve.

If it was that close, why would you not also play the harmonium? It's just a piano with ideas above its station.

Pranet

By co-incidence I've been listening to McCartney for the first time this year, and really enjoying it. I admit that I do tend to like aimless farting about quite a lot. Though there is more to it than that. But I also like the farting about bits. At the moment I prefer it to Ram.