Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:25:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

60's/70's bands that came ROARING back with great singles in the 80's

Started by Norton Canes, January 12, 2024, 10:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Slade's 1983 festive #2 'My Oh My' was their first top ten hit in nearly 9 years.

Wasn't great though...

non capisco

I liked it when they tried to imitate Licence To Ill era Beastie Boys.

Homeboy throw in the towel, your girl got dicked by Donnie Powell.

May well have done that joke before, bloody repeats eh?

Paul Simon ROARED back into action with You Can Call Me Al and persisted with the incessant roaring during subsequent shouty hits from the Graceland album.

Quote from: Mr Banlon on January 12, 2024, 03:45:16 PMHigher Love, Steve Winwood (not a band, but a 60s bloke who made one of the most 80s records ever)

Great track. Always sing along, changing the words to "baked beans are nice enough!"

Mwnger

Paul Simon was the obvious one, but someone got in ahead of me with that.

James Brown had a big hit with Living In America - appearing in Rocky IV no doubt helped.

Fleetwood Mac had a good 80s run, Little Lies and Big Love being the main ones.

Stevie Wonder's 80s career is written off because of I Just Called To Say I Love You (which is awful) but it's forgotten that he released Master Blaster, Do I Do and Part-Time Lover in that decade and they're all bangers.

Also bangers in my opinion are Pipes of Peace, Say Say Say and We All Stand Together. Fight me.

Speaking of - Michael Jackson much!!!? The Jacksons had their first hits in 1969, right?

famethrowa

I'm guessing Rod the Mod didn't really "come back" for the none-more-80s Young Turks (1981), he was still on the up and up from Atlantic Crossing on.

Chicory

Kraftwerk.  'Computer World' and 'Tour De France' are as good as any of their 70s output.  'Electric Cafe' isn't a classic but certainly not a blemish on their legacy.

prelektric

Quote from: Tapiocahead on January 18, 2024, 11:22:16 AMBeing With You

Not a bad shout actually - Smokey was still continually doing work solo during the 70s but never troubled the UK charts, until "Being With You" in '81 - that went to #1 for two weeks - so that counts I reckon.

Dr Rock

Mr Banlon

Dr Rock

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: prelektric on January 18, 2024, 03:44:20 PMNot a bad shout actually - Smokey was still continually doing work solo during the 70s but never troubled the UK charts, until "Being With You" in '81 - that went to #1 for two weeks - so that counts I reckon.
British public of the late 70s need some kind of collective punishment for not making "Cruisin'" a hit. Well, that and voting Thatcher in - both equally inexcusable, really.

prelektric

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 18, 2024, 06:28:38 PMBritish public of the late 70s need some kind of collective punishment for not making "Cruisin'" a hit. Well, that and voting Thatcher in - both equally inexcusable, really.

Correct mate - on both counts. ;)

Dr Rock

That 70s fella George Michael wrote a song for. David Cassidy?

Critcho

Seeing as I just started a Zappa thread, he had a random novelty hit with Valley Girl in the early 80's. In the US anyway, I don't think it did anything here.

I was almost going to post the Tom Jones version of Kiss by Price before remembering that it's shit.

non capisco

Quote from: curiousoranges on January 19, 2024, 03:00:06 PMI was almost going to post the Tom Jones version of Kiss by Price before remembering that it's shit.

WOMEN AND GIRLS RULE MY WORLD!

Dirty old bollocks.

kalowski

Quote from: non capisco on January 17, 2024, 09:54:11 PMI liked it when they tried to imitate Licence To Ill era Beastie Boys.

Homeboy throw in the towel, your girl got dicked by Donnie Powell.

May well have done that joke before, bloody repeats eh?

Don't step out of this house if that's the clothes you're gonna wear
I'll kick you out of my home if you don't cut that hair
Your mom busted in and said, "What's that noise?"
Aw, Mom, you're just jealous it's the Bilston Boys

I rather like that song, tbf. My Oh My is ok. Best mid-80s Slade? That time they copied Big Country.

Mr Farenheit

The Equals had some great songs in the late 60s early 70s (police on my back, black skinned blue eyed boys, diversion). Eddy Grant ROARED back (solo) in the 80s with Electric Avenue and Give Me Hope Joanna.

Jockice

Quote from: A Hat Like That on January 19, 2024, 10:44:16 PMI rather like that song, tbf. My Oh My is ok. Best mid-80s Slade? That time they copied Big Country.

I love this. It works as a pisstake (which I really suspect it is) and as a song in itself.

Jittlebags

Moody Blues - The Voice 1981.  A cracker of a song with Patrick Philippe Moraz on keyboards.

prelektric

Janie Jones

Quote from: lazyhour on January 12, 2024, 08:21:22 PMFor me, Clive, bands that came out in the mid 70s or later don't really count for this thread. It's no great achievement to start in '76 and put out something amazing in '82. But then I didn't start the thread!

Therefore I'm going to say Stranglers.