Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,784
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:20:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bill Ryder-Jones

Started by holyzombiejesus, January 12, 2024, 10:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

My second thread on this man, first one got about 3 responses. Anyhow, new album out today and even though I'm only 3 songs in, it's sounding absolutely ace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MucCLNPgZY

SteveDave

I bloody loved "West Kirby" but was disappointed by "Yawn" as it just sounded like a retread of "West Kirby" (one song sounded exactly like "Daniel" iirc)

I have yet to hear the new one but am wary of all the great reviews. Feels a bit like, "He's a nice boy let's give him 5 stars"

He seems like a great bunch of lads online mind.

holyzombiejesus

He does seem to revisit his (and other bands') previous records. There are quite a few references to songs and characters from WK & ABWBIMH on the new one. Don't be wary of the good reviews though, I think it's absolutely brilliant. He's thrown the kitchen sink at it, samples, kids choirs, strings and it sounds really good for it (except for some tossed off thing which has Mick Head reading from Ulysses, which is a bit pointless).

He does seem like a nice lad but very troubled. Don't think I've felt so concerned about someone 'famous' since David Berman.

Hat FM

will take a listen to this. loved his album with 'he took her in his arms' on it but the next one passed me by a bit. he did a great cover of 'if you don't want me to destroy you' by sfa when i saw him support Gruff Rhys a couple of years ago.

SteveDave

I'm listening to the new one now. He's like Adele for Mojo readers. Every song at a medium pace but mumbled into a mic rather than fog-horned.

I didn't mind "I Know That It's Like This (Baby)" and "This Can't Go On"

Song titles for his next album "I'm Going To Do It Honest", "I Had To Buy All These Tablets From 4 Different Chemists (But The Walk Made Me Feel Better)" and "You Always Knew I Had This Gun"

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: SteveDave on January 18, 2024, 11:36:00 AMI'm listening to the new one now. He's like Adele for Mojo readers. Every song at a medium pace but mumbled into a mic rather than fog-horned.

I didn't mind "I Know That It's Like This (Baby)" and "This Can't Go On"

Song titles for his next album "I'm Going To Do It Honest", "I Had To Buy All These Tablets From 4 Different Chemists (But The Walk Made Me Feel Better)" and "You Always Knew I Had This Gun"

Ha ha ha! You cunt!

sevendaughters

it's nice, video in post 1 sounds like Gorkys a bit

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 18, 2024, 11:47:58 AMit's nice, video in post 1 sounds like Gorkys a bit

His first song-based solo album was basically a Gorkys pastiche, even the titles referenced GZM, and he's always going on about how much he loves them. Think there was a photo somewhere of Euros and Leighton Baines at one of his gigs. Even the new album has a line that goes "lets's get together in our minds".

This isn't too gorkysish but it's one of the poppier ones off the new record.

SteveDave

He's on the latest Sodajerker podcast

https://www.sodajerker.com/episode-260-bill-ryder-jones/

Weirdly he says that he considers this album to be more upbeat than his last.

fuzzyste

I like his music but find his albums very hard to listen all the way through, the dynamics/speed never change its like the same song over and over sometimes but I guess thats more down to his singing style.

Glad he's getting some decent airtime with this album though, he's quite real on twitter about how it is to be a struggling musician, not all its cracked up to be.

tolecnal

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 18, 2024, 12:47:52 PMHis first song-based solo album was basically a Gorkys pastiche, even the titles referenced GZM, and he's always going on about how much he loves them. Think there was a photo somewhere of Euros and Leighton Baines at one of his gigs. Even the new album has a line that goes "lets's get together in our minds".

This isn't too gorkysish but it's one of the poppier ones off the new record.

"iechyd da" is one of my fav gorkys song but i don't think he titled his album after it... just a generic phrase, right, or actually another nod???