Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:23:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

bands who never released an album

Started by Mobius, January 24, 2024, 06:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eggy Mess

Quote from: Barney Sloane on January 24, 2024, 03:42:06 PMBetty Boo and Alex James' duo Wigwam seemed to fizzle out after releasing their eponymous debut single.

See also Me Me Me - cheesecunt has form in this regard.  The Me Me Me single entered the Top 20 iirc. Simpler times.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: famethrowa on January 24, 2024, 08:08:14 AMOh plenty!

- On A Friday
- Smile
- Warsaw (I could get buzby'd on this one)
- The High Numbers
- Genesis (no not that one)

If we're doing that, let's do the pre-Queen bands:

Smile
Ibex (later Wreckage)
Sour Milk Sea
Bubblingover Boys
The Reaction
The Opposition (later Art)
Larry Lurex (this one doesn't really count)
Deacon

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: mechanical blood goat on January 24, 2024, 02:13:32 PMThere must be hundreds of punk/indie bands from the 70s, 80s and 90s who only managed a couple of 7"s. One joy about the internet, and in particular Bandcamp, is some of them get to finally "release" albums and things they recorded thirty or forty years ago.

I was surprised today to see power pop, one-hit-wonders, The Jags actually released TWO studio albums.

Shaxberd

Seeing the two-tone documentary/concert film Dance Craze last year brought The Bodysnatchers to my attention. Great bunch of lasses who never released an album, although their lead singer Rhoda Dakar went on to work with the Special AKA, notably on "most unsettling song you've ever heard" favourite The Boiler.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: Shaxberd on January 24, 2024, 07:32:57 PMGreat bunch of lasses who never released an album, although their lead singer Rhoda Dakar went on to work with the Special AKA

and the rest became The Belle Stars.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on January 24, 2024, 12:04:02 PMSpeedy. Recorded one that was never released. As also happened to another Sheffield band from a few years earlier called Respect.

Actually, Speedy's News From Nowhere LP was finally released in 2014. Still never heard it though, although I did go to one of the two shows they did to promote it before returning to the day jobs.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shaxberd on January 24, 2024, 07:32:57 PMSeeing the two-tone documentary/concert film Dance Craze last year brought The Bodysnatchers to my attention. Great bunch of lasses who never released an album, although their lead singer Rhoda Dakar went on to work with the Special AKA, notably on "most unsettling song you've ever heard" favourite The Boiler.

As mentioned this morning on page one of this thread, rudy.

Fat Les never released an album. Isn't that a shame.

scarecrow

Quote from: markburgle on January 24, 2024, 01:09:43 PMThe Subway Sect released a few albums, but the original punk incarnation's album was pulled by Bernie Rhodes, and the master tapes were lost.

A couple of rough monitor mixes were included on a compilation, hinting that the record would've been bloody great. Vic Goddard redid a version of a few years ago but it was crap
Years ago, someone whom I thiiiink was maybe the guy behind the Tiny Global label told me that the master tapes had been found, and that there was legal toing and froing taking place.

PaulTMA

famethrowa

Quote from: PaulTMA on January 25, 2024, 12:55:21 AMMARRS

True that... you might even say the chances of anything coming from MARRS are a million to one, my friend?

Enzo

Quote from: Eggy Mess on January 24, 2024, 04:29:51 PMSee also Me Me Me - cheesecunt has form in this regard.  The Me Me Me single entered the Top 20 iirc. Simpler times.

Alex James seemed to have some interesting songwriting ideas although he was rarely allowed to showcase them with Blur. Far Out and Alex's song were both released with weird effects over the vocals, but were catchy.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Deskbound Cunt on January 24, 2024, 11:44:12 PMFat Les never released an album. Isn't that a shame.

The Alex James curse. See also:

AND

At least Bad Lieutenant got an album out, but Alex James was only a guest bassist on that record rather than being part of the band, which is probably why they managed it.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Barney Sloane on January 24, 2024, 03:42:06 PMBetty Boo and Alex James' duo Wigwam seemed to fizzle out after releasing their eponymous debut single..

Quote from: Eggy Mess on January 24, 2024, 04:29:51 PMSee also Me Me Me - cheesecunt has form in this regard.  The Me Me Me single entered the Top 20 iirc. Simpler times.

I completely failed to see these posts. Please call me a twat.

Kankurette

Lordofthefiles

Camp Freddy

I'm sure they were recording in the studio at one point, but nothing was ever released.

dontpaintyourteeth

that wigwam song was and remains absolute fucking rubbish. truly beneath you, betty.

markburgle

Quote from: scarecrow on January 25, 2024, 12:29:07 AMYears ago, someone whom I thiiiink was maybe the guy behind the Tiny Global label told me that the master tapes had been found, and that there was legal toing and froing taking place.

Fascinating, and exciting (that's The Nightingale's label too!) Must've been since the redo, which was 2007.

Bad Ambassador

A post-Queen band - The Immortals, formed by John Deacon to record the theme for Biggles: Adventures in Time. One single and done.

buzby

Quote from: PaulTMA on January 25, 2024, 12:55:21 AMMARRS
There was a massive falling out between Colourbox, A.R. Kane and Ivo Watts-Russell over the recording and release of the two tracks on that single. Not only did it mean the chances of a follow-up were nil, the ill feeling it generated meant both bands left 4AD and Colourbox never released anything again.

Alison Clarkson on WigWam:
Quote from: Classic Pop InterviewI met Alex at the Groucho Club and we just got on. Blur were working with Ben Hillier on Think Tank and Ben's a brilliant producer, he thinks outside the box. I think we wanted to make it into a project, but nothing quite gelled because, to be honest with you, Alex is a really good bass player in his group, but not necessarily a songwriter, so there wasn't enough for us to make it work as a proper project. So it was just a bit of fun really.
Like most things Cheeseknob has been involved in, it came from the Groucho (see also Bad Lieutenant). The video, directed by Dom Joly, was filmed on the roof of a building directly opposite the Groucho too.

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on January 25, 2024, 01:35:39 AMAt least Bad Lieutenant got an album out, but Alex James was only a guest bassist on that record rather than being part of the band, which is probably why they managed it.
He got co-writing credits for the 2 tracks he played on on the album, and another 2 tracks that were only released on the limited edition version as bonus tracks.

jobotic

Formed in the Groucho Club by Alex James....

As appetising as Formed in the bowels of Geoff Capes after a pickled egg eating competition

Fucking hate Alex James and, by extension, Blur.

Not Betty Boo though.

Critcho

Reni from The Stone Roses started a band called The Rub, who got a gig review in NME in the early 2000's. I remember them saying they had some occasionally nice three part harmonies but were otherwise just a bit lame. I don't think they ever released any recordings at all.

Out of curiosity I looked them up and their whole gig is on youtube:

I'm mildly curious to hear what they actually sounded like.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: buzby on January 25, 2024, 09:11:43 AMThere was a massive falling out between Colourbox, A.R. Kane and Ivo Watts-Russell over the recording and release of the two tracks on that single. Not only did it mean the chances of a follow-up were nil, the ill feeling it generated meant both bands left 4AD and Colourbox never released anything again.

Yeah, that was messy and a real shame. It coincided with 4AD getting all bolshy and major labely in their attitudes. My friend Russ who occasionally played in AR Kane and MAARS said that they started treating their non-USA acts like dogshit.

Just a sad story all round for everyone.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Critcho on January 25, 2024, 12:54:07 PMReni The Stone Roses started a band called The Rub, who got a gig review in NME in the early 2000's. I remember them saying they had some occasionally nice three part harmonies but were otherwise just a bit lame. I don't think they ever released any recordings at all.

I'm mildly curious to hear what they actually sounded like.
Friend of mine saw them in Sheffield, along with about 15 others, one of whom was Rowetta.

He didn't rate the band either.

Gurke and Hare

I saw The Rub in Leeds, I think. It was a full house, not the poor Sheffield turn-out but I remember very little about it. The most memorable thing was Reni asking at the start if anyone in the crowd had a spliff they could chuck up to the stage for him. They did.

copa

Boys Wonder never managed an album.
Saw them at ULU without knowing anything about them and they were fantastic.
Like nothing else. Which was probably their problem.
Brit pop before it existed.

The Southern Death Cult
Death Cult

These definitely qualify as both had different line-ups (which changed again by the time they lopped a bit more off their name)

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: copa on January 25, 2024, 01:25:28 PMBoys Wonder never managed an album.
Saw them at ULU without knowing anything about them and they were fantastic.
Like nothing else. Which was probably their problem.
Brit pop before it existed.

As mentioned by me on page one of this thread. I saw them at The Marquee.