Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:07:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

I love the Ramble Chat jingle. I always laugh at the little 'yesss' and the echoing 'GO!' at the end. He had an a cappella version on the Caitlin Moran episode (I think) that was really good.

The Wario's Woods remix is a fuckin banger

Custard

Just to add to the totally positive response to the Joe episodes, I will also say it was great. Heartwarming, and very funny. They've still got it!

And now I'm listening to the old shows, for the millionth time

Stoneage Dinosaurs

^ yep, same. I've been feeling a tad miserable over the last few days, and it's just a perfect sort of 'comfort' podcast. While still being brilliantly smart and funny of course.

Sam

Can people post their favourite individual xfm/6 podcasts? I've heard lots of bits and bobs from them but hardly any complete episodes. I know the received wisdom is 'they're all good listen to them all' but it would be nice to see what people's favourites are.

Custard

I don't think you really can select certain episodes, though! They're all great, and well worth ploughing through the lot.

If it's just a taster you'd like, I'd suggest maybe having a listen to some segments on the YouTubes?

For starters, I'd recommend STEVEN!, talking through the floorboards, Points Of View, cinema phone listings, black cotton-bud and sister's pants, Joe's impression of Jools Holland, bad news for him, and R Kelly trapped in the closet

Entropy Balsmalch

It's impossible really. One of my favourite ever moments is Adam and Joe discussing Hugh Heffner's advent calendar. Fuck knows which pop it's on though. Same with Joe highlighting the problem with Adam's "Bath as Stargate" proposal.

Just listen to them all and remember I envy your virgin ears.

popcorn

What's the easiest way to get the XFM shows onto my phone in a podcasty sort of way?

Sorry if this is a silly question/already answered, but have you got the XFM podcasts? I think these are still available from usual podcast sources, and they're mostly quite short. They also have the advantage that you don't constantly get the XFM stings. From memory, I think R Kelly is in the second one, while the first contains one of my favourite jingles ever.

You can find them here.

popcorn

Quote from: Slingback Synapse on January 02, 2016, 07:11:15 PM
Sorry if this is a silly question/already answered, but have you got the XFM podcasts? I think these are still available from usual podcast sources, and they're mostly quite short. They also have the advantage that you don't constantly get the XFM stings. From memory, I think R Kelly is in the second one, while the first contains one of my favourite jingles ever.

You can find them here.

Ta! So are they not available through podcast manager-y things? they make downloading and managing podcasts a lot easier, but my iphone podcast app doesn't seem to know about them.

Loved the Xmas podcasts with Joe, although their dynamic has changed a bit from the 6Music days. Adam seemed unashamedly fanboyish at times, asking questions about Hollywood actors and filmsets. Also his reaction to the chair psychology test result ("you are disappointed with your present career, and are at a crossroads.." seemed very genuine.

He said he plans to monetize this podcast in 2016; I wonder if he's looking for a radio-station tie in or private sponsors (like most podcasts now have). Kickstarter would do the job more easily (I'd pay!).

Custard

Quote from: Slingback Synapse on January 02, 2016, 07:11:15 PM

You can find them here.
They look like they're the edited down podcast versions, rather than the full episodes. I think the XFM shows, sans music, come in around an hour

The BBC shows are usually 90 minutes or so

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 03, 2016, 07:05:08 AM
They look like they're the edited down podcast versions, rather than the full episodes. I think the XFM shows, sans music, come in around an hour

The BBC shows are usually 90 minutes or so

Sorry, I should have been clearer: these are not full shows, but edited highlights taken, if memory serves, from a range of shows. They are, however, good for getting hold of some XFM material, and for gauging whether it's for you.

I think I originally found these through itunes, but I'm afraid I don't know if they're still there.

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: Sam on January 02, 2016, 12:17:20 PM
Can people post their favourite individual xfm/6 podcasts? I've heard lots of bits and bobs from them but hardly any complete episodes. I know the received wisdom is 'they're all good listen to them all' but it would be nice to see what people's favourites are.

Those ones were amazing. I loved the way each one is themed, with the requisite soundtrack of their surroundings going on in the background.

The one where they talk about football for a few minutes, I'm guessing topically for the 2006 World Cup - is still excellent. "I like..... Clive".

Also, on a very current-at-the-time tip, the one where they lampoon Robbie Williams' half forgotten comeback rap single 'Rudebox'.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on January 03, 2016, 09:33:57 PM
The one where they talk about football for a few minutes, I'm guessing topically for the 2006 World Cup - is still excellent. "I like..... Clive".

YOU! CAN! KICK THAT BALL! INTO THE GOAL WITH YOUR FOOT!

Enzo

"what do you do wiv a ball... stick it in the goal, stick it in the goal!" love that

Custard

When I go to see Totting-ham, I know there'll be no stopping 'em

Vodka Margarine

When I go see Villa, my view is blocked by a concrete pillar (and probably for the best these days).

Replies From View

"SMARTIES MAKE ME NAUGHTY!!"

And you can put me down for "Save Boggins".

Utter Shit

Their review of Trapped in the Closet is great. Spatulaaaaa

Crabwalk

Quote from: Antiseptic Poetry on January 03, 2016, 03:27:54 AM
He said he plans to monetize this podcast in 2016; I wonder if he's looking for a radio-station tie in or private sponsors (like most podcasts now have). Kickstarter would do the job more easily (I'd pay!).

In an earlier podcast he states that he's looking for sponsors and won't be crowd-funding.

Custard

Hope he gets in Square Space. I never get tired of hearing about their fucking service

Seriously though, it'll be good if he can make some money from it. Must take him ages to put each episode together

DrGreggles

Quote from: Sam on January 02, 2016, 12:17:20 PM

The one with Adam's "Birthday Time" song on it.
I think the giggling at the end might be my favourite A&J moment ever.

Joe's impression of Pierce Brosnan singing "S.O.S." is rather wonderful too - and uncannily accurate!

thenoise

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 04, 2016, 03:28:31 PM
The one with Adam's "Birthday Time" song on it.
I think the giggling at the end might be my favourite A&J moment ever.
WHYYYYYYYYY CAN'T WE LIVE FOREVER?

daf

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 04, 2016, 03:28:31 PM
Joe's impression of Pierce Brosnan singing "S.O.S." is rather wonderful too

Speaking of the Bronhom . . .

Then maybe you shouldn't be living heeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeere!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p7Gk1y-boM

Jaguar Skills Taffin Mashups
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO6dw-TFXqY

Dance Remix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzlJmr9oqCU

Live at Glastonbury
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4LMDAnq7UQ

Puce Moment

It would be fantastic for him to get some decent advertising. Perhaps a hair transplant clinic that wants to branch out into foreskin stretching would be interested?

Entropy Balsmalch

The problem with getting advertising and sponsorship on podcasts is that you just don't get enough impacts.

Impacts are what advertisers buy - the number of people multiplied by the number of times they hear/see it.

These are often sold in terms of "CPT" or "Cost Per Thousand" impacts.

Comparing podcasting to radio, even if you've got a hugely popular pod, you are looking at £50/£100 per ad - any more and advertisers will question why they're paying a higher CPT than they could get elsewhere.

You could "enhance" the value by saying the presenter will read it and therefore it will feel like a personal recommendation - but you're probably only going to get £500 maybe.

The problem is, compared to radio or TV, people don't get repeat impacts. If you listen to an average amount of commercial radio, you will hear, on average, each ad around 3 to 4 times. If they're on for a month - you hear it 12 or so.

Across the coarse of the year - odd things happen to the figures, but you're looking at most people (and by this point the number of listeners (or reach) will have increased to - so you're looking at millions of impacts - rather than just a one off of about 50 thousand you'd get on even the most popular of pods.

It's why you hear Squarespace so often - cause they're paying a small amount of a limited number of impacts, but a maximum level of repetition.

Mini

Finally got round to the podcasts with Joe and thought I'd add to the general consensus that they were lovely. It's infectious hearing such good friends effortlessly cracking each other up. And Adam is just the most likeable person in/near/outside showbusiness.

great_badir

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 04, 2016, 01:02:19 AM
Their review of Trapped in the Closet is great. Spatulaaaaa

I think Adam's delayed reaction to being told that one of the characters is called Tron is one of my favourite moments.

There's a lot of stuff dotted around the Internet Archive, if you can be bothered to wade through, as it's not all in one place (different uploaders, of course), and it doesn't always have a sensible name.

Custard

Vodka Margarine

Just got these Christmas ones listened to. What a treat to hear the two of them in the same room and the old magic back again, for a bit. And what a trooper Buckles is. I don't think I'd have it in me to be that chipper less than a month after such a significant bereavement.