Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:10:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Does anyone remember a band called Cay?

Started by Kankurette, February 02, 2024, 04:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 04, 2024, 05:35:22 AMThat's fairly possible. Indonesia was one of the Dutch colonies, and when I went to the Netherlands a few years ago they put Indo curry sauce on their chips. They smothered it in that shit. It seems to be part of their culture in the same way that Indian food is to us.

It's strange trying to find out about someone who was around pre-social media. You could get away with disappearing without ever being found so much easier back then.
One of the best restaurants I've ever been to was an Indonesian restaurant in Amsterdam. Loads of dishes that we all pooled, can't remember half of them but there was an egg curry.

madhair60

Kankurette

Yeah, I remember they had a female singer but then they got rid of her. Apparently at one gig, they were so bad that when the drummer threw his sticks into the crowd, someone threw them back at him. Were some of them in Carrie (that band who did the 'Molly can hit like a boy' song)?

This has reminded me of Cecil, who I found on a Kerrang CD. They seem to have played Monsters Of Rock, but despite these associations sound more like Mansun than Alice Cooper. They seem to be part of the same scene, but there's barely a mention of them that I can find online.

Kankurette

I remember Cecil! They had one song I love called Hostage in a Frock. They were on Radio City a couple of times.

Norton Canes

Seems as good as any thread to repost once again my occasional request asking if anyone remembers a band called Fat Controller? I saw them play the Camden Falcon mid-to-late-ish 90's, bit like Nitzer Ebb but with real guirars and drums instead of synths, did a song called 'Americanized'.

Quote from: Kankurette on February 02, 2024, 04:11:44 PMI was listening to them last night as I'm going through a sort of late '90s/early '00s music phase and they were one of that wave of British rock bands around at the time, My Vitriol and Llama Farmers and all that lot. Their only album was Nature Creates Freaks. They had a song called Neurons Like Brandy that was on one of the Melody Maker freebies - they were in the weeklies a lot - and I didn't like it at the time, but I like it more now. They remind me of Nirvana, especially the vocals, although they have some gentler Deftones-y stuff as well, like Skool.

Their singer (well, screamer) was a Dutch woman called Anet Mook who had bright red hair. She died a while back and Mark, the drummer, wrote a blog about it. It's here. In summary:
 - Anet had a serious drug problem (smack?) She and Nick, the guitarist who was also her boyfriend, took out loads of the band's money and blew it on drugs.
 - Mark and Tom, the bassist, withdrew the rest of the money and used it to pay roadies and other people they owed money.
 - Cay had been dropped by their label and manager. Mark quit because he'd had enough - he and Anet were always arguing and she'd often spend ages screaming abuse at him - and Tom left soon after. Cay got a new rhythm section.
 - Cay played Glastonbury and had a single called Resurrexit, but they dropped off the radar after. Tom bumped into Anet at a bus stop and they had an awkward conversation, and it turned out to be the last time he ever saw her.
 - Anet went back to the Netherlands to try and get clean, and failed. Some reports say she was hit by a bus but the blog post says it was a train.

I note Som from My Vitriol and one of the lads from 3 Colours Red are in the comments. It was pretty sad reading. Mark was pretty honest about the fact that he didn't like Anet much, but still felt sad for what could have been, and it's clear from his other posts that he did enjoy being with Cay in the early days. Cay won Best New British Band at the Kerrang! Awards in 1999 and were in Melody Maker and NME loads and then...nothing. It makes me wonder what could have been. Was anyone else on here into them at all?

Saw a few times live, may still have a ltd edition single and certainly have the album.

Went down that same rabbit hole a few months back.

Also liked My Vitriol - think I may own physical copies of almost everything of theirs including the Pyrrhic Victory EP. I got that much later - liked the Martika cover of all things.

#miscellaneousbandsoftheearly00s

TheAssassin

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on February 04, 2024, 05:32:14 PMThis has reminded me of Cecil, who I found on a Kerrang CD. They seem to have played Monsters Of Rock, but despite these associations sound more like Mansun than Alice Cooper. They seem to be part of the same scene, but there's barely a mention of them that I can find online.

I saw Mansun once, and Cecil were the support act.  The singer kept crowd surfing, anytime he surfed over me he got his bollocks punched.

TheAssassin

I saw Cay and Llama Farmers, I'm sure was separate 3 Colours Red tours around 99/00.  The best I can remember of Cay was the t-shirt I bought, Nature Creates Freaks.  Can barely recall what they sounded like, so couldn't have made that much of an impact.  Llama Farmers were over-hyped by the music press. I remember they had a roadie that could have been one of their grandfathers' as he seemed more upset than usual when we were hurling abuse at them.

Norton Canes

Well, you can't say they didn't have one moment of glory

elastoplastthefasterplast

Really enjoyed Cay as a teenager, that record was a rainy day go-to for me. Loved My Vitriol at the time too, but Som's gone a bit mad lately, seemed like mostly a misguided Lexit type vibe at first but then he started popping up on David Icke's kids' stupidly named podcast , not to mention the weird tour I saw them on a few years back where they had no amps, acoustic drum kit or even bass player, everything was digital and the bass was on a track. Not even sure it was Seth on guitar, looked like a totally different dude. Still quite like that album though.

Kankurette

My Vitriol sound like an absolute train wreck. At least Space fans got Love You More than Football in the end. My Vitriol fans won't even get an album. Especially if Som's gone bananas.