Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:37:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

!!! - Wimblewrong Doubles: Teams, Draw & Rules - !!!

Started by selectivememory, October 04, 2020, 11:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Okay then. We're just about ready to begin the first ever Wimblewrong doubles tournament.

First things first, we have 10 people taking part, and I have drawn you at random into the following five teams:

Team A: The Mollusk/Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse
Team B: Dr Trouser/rue the polywhirl
Team C: Spoon of Ploff/touchingcloth
Team D: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien/Lordofthefiles
Team E: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops/Mr Farenheit

If you and your teammate want to come up with a name for your team, feel free. If you choose not to, you'll just be "Team A", "Team B" and so on, as above. We'll start the first matches in around 24 hours from now, so you've got time to PM your teammate if you like before we get going.

I figured that in the match threads, players could post their team names directly above their shots, which will make it easy for the voters to follow the match. Like so:

Team A

I'll announce the first round of matches tomorrow at midday. There will be five rounds of matches in the group stage, and each team will have to sit one round out. Once you've all played four matches, the two best performing teams will play each other again in the final, in which there will be four shots per team. I'll post an updated league table in this thread after each round of matches has finished.

selectivememory

Here are the rules I posted in one of the sign-up threads, slightly altered to account for the number of teams:

Quote1. Wimblewrong Doubles will be contested by five teams, each of which will consist of two players. The moderator will randomly draw players with their partners before the tournament gets underway.

2. The five teams will play a group round in which every team will play every other team once. A win is worth three points, a draw one point, and a defeat zero points. After all five rounds of the group stage have been played, the teams in the top two positions will proceed to the final.

3. If there is a tie in the amount of points won in a group, rankings will be determined by head-to-head records, and if that doesn't resolve things, we will take into account votes for and against in all matches, and those with the greatest positive difference overall will qualify.

4. Each match will consist of two shots per team, except the final which will consist of four shots per team. Each individual player must produce one shot per match in the earlier rounds, and two in the final. Players may consult with their teammates in private (via PMs) to develop ideas, and to have feedback provided on their shots before posting in the match threads. However, the player posting the shot must be 100% responsible for creating the image with their image editing software of choice. Players aren't obliged to consult with their teammates if they prefer working independently on their own shots.

5. The order in which players will post their shots will be drawn at random by the moderator, so you will know whether you are posting the first, second, third or fourth shot before the match begins.

6. The player with the opening shot (i.e. the server) can put what they want in their picture.  But all subsequent pictures (i.e. the return) must contain, either visually or conceptually, an element of the previous picture.

7. The pictures will be 800 x 600, or 600 x 800 pixels in size, and must be still images.

8. Voting will take place by posting the name of your favourite team in the match thread immediately after play has ended (i.e. when the 4th picture of each match has been posted).  The voting will last for 48 hours. A draw is a legitimate result in the group stage, but if in the final the two teams are tied after the voting period has passed, the voting time will be extended by 12 hours, and if after that there is no winner, the next team to get a vote will win the match.

9. Common sense prevails in image choice.

10. Pictures can be uploaded to places like imgur for those who have no webspace, but the picture must be displayed in the game thread.

And a reminder of time permitted:  You have 72 hours to post an image from when the round starts or from when the last shot has been posted. Keep a look out on your game for when your opponent posts their shot, as it's from that time that the 72 hours start.

Open to making amendments if people have suggestions, although preferably before the first matches get underway.

touchingcloth

The Mollusk

How is it determined which player from each team goes first, will that be drawn at random when the matches are drawn?

selectivememory

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 04, 2020, 02:25:00 PM
How is it determined which player from each team goes first, will that be drawn at random when the matches are drawn?

Yeah. I should make that clearer in the rules actually.

The Mollusk

The Mollusk

Poirots and I have decided that our team name shall be THE SCREAMING ARSEHOLES (all caps, like MF DOOM).

actually Poirots has come up with a way better name, L'escargot, because it's garlic and snails.

selectivememory

Cool. Yeah, if everyone can let us know their team names (if they choose to name their team) in this thread before we get underway tomorrow, that would be great.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I'm really looking forward to this. Checking all the news and trying to come up with ideas.

Spoon of Ploff

selectivememory

Great. Anyway, I've decided that calling the teams who don't name themselves "Team A", "Team B" etc. is a bit boring, so if no one else submits a name by midday they'll have to make do with the crap ones I've hastily come up with for them:

Dr Polywhirl
Lords of the Homosapiens
Mr Pearly-Farenheit Drops

... but I'm sure you all can do better.

selectivememory

Great, so our teams:

L'escargot: The Mollusk/Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse
Dr Polywhirl: Dr Trouser/rue the polywhirl
A Touch of Sploff: Spoon of Ploff/touchingcloth
Lords of the Homosapiens: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien/Lordofthefiles
Team E. Smith: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops/Mr Farenheit

And now the first round of matches, with the order in which the shots are to be played:

Tie 1: A Touch of Sploff vs Dr Polywhirl (Spoon of Ploff - rue the polywhirl - touchingcloth - Dr Trouser)
Tie 2: L'escargot vs Lords of the Homosapiens (Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse - Al Tha Funkee Homosapien - The Mollusk - Lordofthefiles)

Team E. Smith, you're sitting this round out. Make yourselves comfortable.

Serves due by midday Thursday BST. If you want to be helpful, when you've posted your shot you can PM the player whose shot is following yours. Good luck all!

The Mollusk

Draw posted 7 seconds before it was actually due. You're getting too good at this.

Quote from: selectivememory on October 04, 2020, 11:41:30 AM
Team E: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops/Mr Farenheit

We have renamed ourselves Team E. Smith and will accept the first round bye.

Thank you, god bless

selectivememory

Cheers.

If the two remaining teams that haven't named themselves want to change from the ones I've given them, they'll need to say so before their opponents post their serves.

touchingcloth

Quote from: selectivememory on October 05, 2020, 11:59:53 AM
Great, so our teams:

L'escargot: The Mollusk/Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse
Dr Polywhirl: Dr Trouser/rue the polywhirl
A Touch of Sploff: Spoon of Ploff/touchingcloth
Lords of the Homosapiens: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien/Lordofthefiles
Team E. Smith: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops/Mr Farenheit

And now the first round of matches, with the order in which the shots are to be played:

Tie 1: A Touch of Sploff vs Dr Polywhirl (Spoon of Ploff - rue the polywhirl - touchingcloth - Dr Trouser)
Tie 2: L'escargot vs Lords of the Homosapiens (Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse - Al Tha Funkee Homosapien - The Mollusk - Lordofthefiles)

Team E. Smith, you're sitting this round out. Make yourselves comfortable.

Serves due by midday Thursday BST. If you want to be helpful, when you've posted your shot you can PM the player whose shot is following yours. Good luck all!

It's A Touch of Ploff rather than Sploff, by the way. Though I'm happy with your suggestion if you think it's better and m'colleague is also happy.

selectivememory

Crabwalk

Sorry to not be able to participate this time. I will be an eager spectator, rest assured.

Lordofthefiles

Can we be Funkee Homofiles please?

I've not cleared this with my team mate, but as time is of the essence I'm making an executive decision.

I shall endure Al's wrath to have a team name that's a less than 800 characters long!

Lordofthefiles

Ps:

I'm really looking forward to this.

Cheers for organising the tournament SM, much obliged.

selectivememory

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on October 05, 2020, 04:59:21 PM

I've not cleared this with my team mate, but as time is of the essence I'm making an executive decision.

I shall endure Al's wrath to have a team name that's a less than 800 characters long!

Yeah, that's fine by me.

So, L'escargot, when you start the match thread, it's now the Funkee Homofiles that you're playing.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on October 05, 2020, 05:01:11 PM
Ps:

I'm really looking forward to this.

Cheers for organising the tournament SM, much obliged.

Same. Excited to play and spectate, and grateful for the handling of the admin.

But that said I will be shouting at my team mate to break your fucking legs when we meet competitively. The gloves will be off, and I'll smash my fist down your whatever we decide on as a term to replace Japseye.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: selectivememory on October 05, 2020, 05:15:28 PM
Yeah, that's fine by me.

So, L'escargot, when you start the match thread, it's now the Funkee Homofiles that you're playing.
Cool. And it's me to serve and Al to return, and I've got till midday Thursday to post something incomprehensible and amateurish.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 05, 2020, 05:42:15 PM
Same. Excited to play and spectate, and grateful for the handling of the admin.

But that said I will be shouting at my team mate to break your fucking legs when we meet competitively. The gloves will be off, and I'll smash my fist down your whatever we decide on as a term to replace Japseye.

Ha!

Genuine chuckle at the psychopathic change of gear there!

I shall approach our match with caution and endeavour to protect my urethra entrance at all times.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on October 05, 2020, 04:59:21 PM

Yes fine.

Dr Trouser

Can we be PolyTrouser?

I've not asked my team mate, life partner and sex comrade yet, but it's got a certain 1980s C&A ring to it.

selectivememory

Quote from: Dr Trouser on October 07, 2020, 10:19:18 AM
Can we be PolyTrouser?

I've not asked my team mate, life partner and sex comrade yet, but it's got a certain 1980s C&A ring to it.

Sure. So, A Touch of Ploff, you're now serving to PolyTrouser.

touchingcloth

Quote from: selectivememory on October 07, 2020, 11:01:07 AM
Sure. So, A Touch of Ploff, you're now serving to PolyTrouser.

Ta. I like the TPPT symmetry.