Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:12:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most recent comedy that you now feel a bit embarrassed to have liked

Started by Memorex MP3, March 20, 2024, 10:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Toki on March 20, 2024, 11:13:32 PMI love the first three seasons of Community (yep, even the third), but I do vastly prefer it when it's quirky but basically a normal sitcom. There's moments in the first season in particular where it's very quirky but basically a normal sitcom and I didn't admire it but I enjoyed it a lot more than the OTT-quirkathon it became. Sorry for overusing the word 'quirky' in this post, I am too lazy to use a thesaurus, and it is Community I'm talking about after all.

No I totally agree, and I think if it had continued in the same vein as s1 with only a bit of occasional meta wackiness it would probably still be a one my favourite shows of all time

DigForVictory

The first series of Little Britain seems to have more sketches that are odd or strange rather than vulgar or cruel like in the rest of the shows run.

For example the one off Boris the babysitter sketch which is in the last episode of series 1 has quite a sweet ending where he's genuinely a great babysitter , I can imagine in series 2 or 3 they'd have had Boris throw the baby out the window or steal the baby or something gruesome and shite.

I also really loved the character who would barge into offices with ideas for board games or cereals. Axing him and bringing in characters like fucking Bubbles showed the steep decline of the show.

BJBMK2

Quote from: DigForVictory on March 20, 2024, 11:20:10 PMThe first series of Little Britain seems to have more sketches that are odd or strange rather than vulgar or cruel like in the rest of the shows run.

For example the one off Boris the babysitter sketch which is in the last episode of series 1, I can imagine in series 2 or 3 they'd have had Boris throw the baby out the window or steal the baby or something gruesome and shite.

I also really loved the character who would barge into offices with ideas for board games or cereals. Axing him and bringing in characters like fucking Bubbles showed the steep decline of the show.

They also ditched the little non sequitur visual gags that would introduce each sketch, in S2, which contributed to, as you say, the slide away from giddy, Vic and Bob surrealism, to tabloid baiting nastiness and grottiness.

famethrowa

Quote from: DigForVictory on March 20, 2024, 11:20:10 PMThe first series of Little Britain seems to have more sketches that are odd or strange rather than vulgar or cruel like in the rest of the shows run.

True, I first saw LB on a plane and was so excited, I was right into the Framley Examiner at the time and liked the little vignettes of various eccentrics. Nowdays all I can remember is naked rubber woman, vomiting church lady and yes Ting Tong.

But I still love this sketch, it's wonderfully bathetic and silly:

Clownbaby

Indulge my rant!

Community. The general opinion seems to be that the show went shit in season 3, then shitter in season 4, and everyone was rallying for Dan Harmon to get his baby show baby back, then he did, and season 5 was "A MASTERPIECE" and season 6 was "A MASTERPIECE".

For me, season 1 and 2 were great, season 3 was great but just more camp, season 4 was surprisingly alright (apart from that badly thought out "the characters have all met before" episode) considering there was no Dan Harmon helming it, then Harmon got his show back, and seasons 5 and 6 were  not so enjoyable for me - some great bits mainly involving the Dean, but the rest  strangely dry, smug and self-congratulatory, like Harmon was sitting there in the writing room bitterly stewing away, going "here you cunts this is how it's done", which he probably was.

I don't know if my feelings about Dan Harmon as a person coloured how I see the last two seasons or not, as there was all that about him turning on Megan Ganz after she turned him down (he was married), and her uneasiness around him which caused her to leave the show,  which made me think differently about why he may have been fucked off his own show years back. Maybe he's a bit of a difficult, toxic shit like Chevy Chase, who (often rightfully) took the most flack for any drama behind the scenes. So I had less sympathy for Harmon then. Yeah, comedy writers don't have to be lovely people, I know, a hell of a lot of them aren't... Still, the "community" sense of the whole myth around the show dissolved a bit for me after all that.

Generally though I still think Community was a cracking show for a while, but it dropped off and fizzled out. I'm not embarrassed to have been so into it at the start, but I am embarrassed to have gushed about it so much when I was 18 and been a bit snobby about other comedy shows just because they weren't going for the dense kind of humour that Community was.

Clownbaby

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 20, 2024, 11:37:37 AMI sort of liked The Mighty Boosh at the time, or bits of it, but I'm sure I'd hate it now. I definitely remember seeing that other series yer man did (Luxury Comedy?) and just thinking "this is a load of random bollocks, he's trying so hard to be weird and the effort is just leaking out of the screen", you know? Also he's going to get #cancelled eventually. Allegedly. Etc.

Luxury Comedy had me realising that Noel Fielding NEVER works as the main character. he doesn't have any weight to him, he's not a strong actor. He was funny in The Mighty Boosh because of the odd couple thing with Julian Barratt. They played off eachother nicely and I still think they had a cute, complete feeling as two sort of pathetic, whimsical lifelong friends with nothing in common. I think The IT crowd is shit, but he's fine in that as a weird goth man, I suppose. He's like cinnamon. Nobody wants a spoonful of it on its own, put it in something, it's an ingredient. Noel "Ingredient" Fielding. That new show with him in looks fucking arse, as well, by the way. Crap, Horrible Histories "but for adults" arse.

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 21, 2024, 02:51:49 AMLuxury Comedy had me realising that Noel Fielding NEVER works as the main character. he doesn't have any weight to him, he's not a strong actor. He was funny in The Mighty Boosh because of the odd couple thing with Julian Barratt. They played off eachother nicely and I still think they had a cute, complete feeling as two sort of pathetic, whimsical lifelong friends with nothing in common. I think The IT crowd is shit, but he's fine in that as a weird goth man, I suppose. He's like cinnamon. Nobody wants a spoonful of it on its own, put it in something, it's an ingredient. Noel "Ingredient" Fielding. That new show with him in looks fucking arse, as well, by the way. Crap, Horrible Histories "but for adults" arse.

Very much agree with this. Highly likely it was a part written for him, but nobody could have played Jones from Nathan Barley better.

chip

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on March 20, 2024, 06:26:07 PMAnyone a bit baffled by any radio hosts or the like they used to love? I feel like there used to be an Opie and Anthony contingent on here, does that stuff still seem okay in retrospect? Has anyone already gone off peak Cum Town on revisit?

Not even a little bit. Presuming you mean 'okay' as in 'funny', and not 'ouuh, do I have permission to enjoy this?' - in which case, yes, a great number of O&A compilations are still golden, with some of the best comedic minds firing on all cylinders.

The inclusion of Cum Town I'm bemused by, though. Genuinely one of the funniest, most tears-inducing comedic works of the last decade. You might as well be asking if anyone's ever 'gone off' Simpsons S3-8.

Twilkes

I remember really really enjoying Dumb And Dumberer when I watched it at the cinema.

Yes that's the "10% on Rotten Tomatoes" prequel, not the original.

SirDoris

When I was 10, my best friend showed me this movie that he said was the single funniest, craziest movie he'd ever seen in his life. It was the Eddie Murphy family schlock piece Daddy Day Care, and because I was 10, I ate every second of it up. Watched it many years later as an adult, expecting to find all the flaws and to have a nice healthy dose of "gee, I can't believe I used to love this stuff". Unfortunately, I ended up loving it just as much the second time around. Maybe it's the nostalgia. Maybe it's the weird subplot where Steve Zahn's stoner nerd tries to sleep with a woman who accidentally overdosed her child on Star Trek and now he just speaks Klingon. Maybe it's that I'm a child at heart and poop and fart noises are funny. At any rate, it's a horrifying shame that I have to live with for the rest of my life.

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 21, 2024, 02:27:04 AMIndulge my rant!

Community. The general opinion seems to be that the show went shit in season 3, then shitter in season 4, and everyone was rallying for Dan Harmon to get his baby show baby back, then he did, and season 5 was "A MASTERPIECE" and season 6 was "A MASTERPIECE".

For me, season 1 and 2 were great, season 3 was great but just more camp, season 4 was surprisingly alright (apart from that badly thought out "the characters have all met before" episode) considering there was no Dan Harmon helming it, then Harmon got his show back, and seasons 5 and 6 were  not so enjoyable for me - some great bits mainly involving the Dean, but the rest  strangely dry, smug and self-congratulatory, like Harmon was sitting there in the writing room bitterly stewing away, going "here you cunts this is how it's done", which he probably was.

I don't know if my feelings about Dan Harmon as a person coloured how I see the last two seasons or not, as there was all that about him turning on Megan Ganz after she turned him down (he was married), and her uneasiness around him which caused her to leave the show,  which made me think differently about why he may have been fucked off his own show years back. Maybe he's a bit of a difficult, toxic shit like Chevy Chase, who (often rightfully) took the most flack for any drama behind the scenes. So I had less sympathy for Harmon then. Yeah, comedy writers don't have to be lovely people, I know, a hell of a lot of them aren't... Still, the "community" sense of the whole myth around the show dissolved a bit for me after all that.

Generally though I still think Community was a cracking show for a while, but it dropped off and fizzled out. I'm not embarrassed to have been so into it at the start, but I am embarrassed to have gushed about it so much when I was 18 and been a bit snobby about other comedy shows just because they weren't going for the dense kind of humour that Community was.
"The gas leak year" was such a cunty thing to do.  I actually enjoyed S4 a fair bit more than S3, as I get tired of "gimmick" episodes very quickly.  It seems like every new thing I find out about Dan Harmon makes me like him even less.  The whole thing about writing scenes in his show to take the piss out of one specific teenage female fan is really off-putting, too.

Quote from: Thosworth on March 20, 2024, 08:29:46 PMI really loved R****** B****'* Ponderland. It's clearly got Matt Morgan's fingerprints all over it, and from Clive James to Bob Mills, you can't go wrong taking the piss out of old TV clips. I still regularly think about using the spasm technique to win at Daley Thompson's Decathlon. But I haven't watched recently, and can't help thinking a significant amount of shine will have worn off due to the horrible allegationey wations.

Haha, some of the clips from Ponderland still get quoted in my house - the rude secondary school Blind Date 'if I was a cream bun what would you do with me?', the posh parents trying to bribe their little shit son with ice cream to not drive the family car, the nice mum who suggests her daughter get a job at the tax office only to be called a 'boring bitch'....

I actually own it on DVD. Time for a re-watch but I'll pixellate HIS face and crotch.

Toki

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 21, 2024, 02:27:04 AMI don't know if my feelings about Dan Harmon as a person coloured how I see the last two seasons or not, as there was all that about him turning on Megan Ganz after she turned him down (he was married), and her uneasiness around him which caused her to leave the show,  which made me think differently about why he may have been fucked off his own show years back. Maybe he's a bit of a difficult, toxic shit like Chevy Chase, who (often rightfully) took the most flack for any drama behind the scenes. So I had less sympathy for Harmon then. Yeah, comedy writers don't have to be lovely people, I know, a hell of a lot of them aren't... Still, the "community" sense of the whole myth around the show dissolved a bit for me after all that.

I agree with all of your post, but the stuff about Megan Ganz I find particularly upsetting. I know she's publicly forgiven him and everything, and I'm not against the concept of forgiveness, but it was just such shitty behaviour from Harmon. I went off him while watching that movie documentary about him where he's just an absolute dick to his partner. He's a good, talented writer when he can reign in the meta stuff, but I think about Bobby Fingers response to Downey Jr saying Mel Gibson should be forgiven and that he's hugged the cactus long enough. Something along the lines of 'to be forgiven, he should fuck the cactus.'

The last scene in Community being his voice over begging for forgiveness from his loved ones after yet another meta-bit where the characters in an advert for a Community board game realising they don't exist... Just cut that whole part out, there was a quite touching scene before it that would have been a better ending. Although Chang crying 'I'm gay' while they're all hugging isn't funny. Season 6 in particular I think is absolute crap. But the first few seasons are great! Funny how when it went downhill as people left due to his bullying...

Bad Ambassador

Always worth remembering that Community S6 didn't just kill the show, it killed the streaming platform it had been made for.

madhair60

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 20, 2024, 04:48:33 PMIn CaB glossary, 'R&M' denotes Reeves & Mortimer not some shrill, nihilistic cartoon that I don't get.

not anymore, old man

jobotic

madhair60

dead-ced-dead

This is like that moment in season 5 of The Wire

Spoiler alert
When Marlow comes out of prison to find new drug runners on the street that he doesn't know. In the time he was gone, the world moved on without him. He stands there alone and irrelevant.
[close]

buttgammon

Quote from: twosclues on March 20, 2024, 07:24:43 PMBroad City was one I was all in on for the first season or two. Then Hilary showed up and it was never quite the same. Haven't seen it in a few years, can't imagine it's aging particularly well.

I recently rewatched (and really enjoyed) it but skipped that episode along with the one where they go to Israel and didn't notice the decline in quality I saw the first time, so in my case at least, it's more that I liked the programme and was rubbed up the wrong way by that godawful cameo than anything.