Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:42:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 29, 2024, 03:25:13 PMAlso found the Ikechukwu Ufomadu show a bit of a curate's egg. That said, I know that folk rate it highly so its probably just a bit marmite.

Spoke to him when sozzled last August and he was a nice bloke, so that helps his case.

It's such an odd one, as if he'd performed the same material but just in a different order I think I'd have liked it a lot more, but found the final twenty minutes was a little too monotonous and predictable.

Here's two reviews from Thursday night from my blog:

Madeleine MacMahon - Work In Progress - As with the vast majority of work in progress shows I don't want to spend long reviewing them as they're essentially a chance to perform material for the first time to see how it lands. An accomplished actress MacMahon is a very confident, likeable comedian, she has a great way of describing events which have happened to her, and makes  some funny observations. The only problem right now are some of her jokes end with punchlines I first heard in the nineties, and even before that as there's a few times she refers to the country in the same way William Wycherley's The Country Wife does, and if you're making a joke like that I feel it's really best to check that it' not a gag which is almost three hundred and fifty years old (and probably a lot longer than that). Still, MacMahon does have some good jokes, a great stage presence, and shows a lot of potential, and could be really great if she only made sure no one had thought of the material she performed. 2.75/5

Ian Lane – Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu - In an industry where too many acts seem to see stand up as a stepping stone to either an acting or presenting job, this is an hour of comedy that's been put together by a comedian who clearly loves the genre, and one who is at the very top of his game. Though I'm very aware that it is a bold statement given that it's only March, I doubt there'll be another show this year that will make me laugh as much as this did.
It's an hour of comedy ram packed with hilarious concepts and gorgeously constructed jokes, an absolute must see show, that should see Lane regarded as one of the best comedians in the country. Simply put, if you love comedy this is essential viewing, and one which I know I'm going to recommend to everyone I know, and also to as many people who I don't know as well. 5/5

And I know the latter is a review of a close friend, but I stand by it (and I'd previously reviewed him in 2019 and only gave 4 stars) and it's something that made me laugh a huge amount.

CaledonianGonzo

I was talking to him outside the Monkey Barrel and kept going

"Shakespeare - who some people say was the Shakespeare of his day:

at him - and he kept correcting me.

Memorex MP3

Just saw Jerrod Carmichael is playing in the Soho Theatre next week, anyone going to that? £30 seems a bit cheaper than I'd've expected for him in that venue considering some other shows tbh

Tiggles

Quote from: edwardfog on January 24, 2024, 09:00:05 AMJacqueline Novak's Get On Your Knees is apparently on Netflix?? It's up there with the greatest and most unique shows of the last decade, very highly recommended if you've never seen it before

Finally got Netflix for a bit and watched this. Blew me away, for want of a better expression. The language, the humour, the delivery, the everything. Sublime.

surreptitious

Anyone seen Catherine Bohart, currently doing a run at Soho Theatre? Wondering whether to book tickets for 'Again, with Feelings'.

edwardfog

I've seen her do other shows. She's fun; kinda gossipy and neurotic if that's your thing

surreptitious

Quote from: edwardfog on March 06, 2024, 04:47:43 PMI've seen her do other shows. She's fun; kinda gossipy and neurotic if that's your thing
Thanks, I saw she got a 5* review from the Guardian so kind of intrigued now.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm a big fan of Bohart's, and would definitely go along.

Msp1976

Saw a WIP of BriTANicKs (US sketch comedians)new show last night at the Soho Theatre  Was outstanding. It's still on tonight and tomorrow, has sold out but we managed to get tickets on the returns list so well worth a punt. If not they are planning on an Edinburgh run.

Small Man Big Horse

Jessie Cave - An Ecstatic Display WIP at The Bill Murray - I enjoyed this a good deal last night but I had been told / warned what to expect, as it's mostly an hour that was occasionally a bit whimsical (she has a tiny home made shadow puppet theatre on stage, and tells true but weird facts about animals) but a big section of it is where she once again talks about her horrendous relationship with Alfie Brown, along with her addiction to being pregnant. There were lots of big laughs and she seems self-aware and realises what an unconventional relationship she has with Brown, but I hope for her sake she's able to find someone else as everything she said about him, and that I've (recently) read about Brown makes him sound like a real cunt. Anyhow, back to the show, and yeah, despite everything I'd still rate it  4/5.

edwardfog

Quote from: Msp1976 on March 08, 2024, 08:51:26 AMSaw a WIP of BriTANicKs (US sketch comedians)new show last night at the Soho Theatre  Was outstanding. It's still on tonight and tomorrow, has sold out but we managed to get tickets on the returns list so well worth a punt. If not they are planning on an Edinburgh run.

I saw this as well. Could feel myself being resistant to something about it - maybe the slickness even at this WIP stage, or something about the lack of viewpoint - but it's also just undeniable. I was so impressed with how complex the structure was; its callbacks on steroids in the back half. If you love The Pin you'll love this and vice versa.

CaledonianGonzo

They did a WIP at the end of the Fringe last year and they took the roof off the place.

funstuie

James Acaster - Hecklers Welcome - the united artists theatre downtown Los Angeles.

Quite enjoyed this one. He's put together a very clever show. The audience was surprisingly 80/20 Americans/Brits which made for an odd reaction at times. No one participated or heckled which was good. I did hear the people behind me say he's more British than they thought.

Small Man Big Horse

Garry Starr - Penguins (WIP) at 2Northdown - I've been meaning to see Starr for years as Zogmouse first recommended him to me back in 2018, but whenever he had performed in the UK I'd either not had the funds or was busy. So I jumped at this chance to see him fairly cheaply, especially as a female friend saw his previous show a couple of months ago and had loved it, and though he was naked for about half of it she said the nudity wasn't in any way sexual, it was completely non-threatening and only added to how much she laughed.

So due to all of the above I was really optimistic about the show, but what I didn't realise was that the nudity in that previous show wasn't a one off, and it appears he likes being "the naked comedian", as his genitals were on display during the entire show, along with his hairy arsehole, and while he began the hour wearing a long coat and a couple of other props they didn't stay on for all that long.

Now I'm no prude and this is hardly the first time I've seen male nudity in a comedy show, but the thing is, I'm not quite sure why he was naked, it didn't really seem to serve a purpose other than making the show even more absurd. There's a lot of audience participation as well, some of which flirts with the idea of how mad it is to muck about on stage with a naked man, and there was so much of it that it could mean the show might vary in quality from from one night to another.

I'm aware that this feels all rather negative considering that it did make me laugh a good deal, and there's some inspired madness in this which will remain with me for years. I just still feel a bit uneasy about the nudity, and could imagine him doing the show fully clothed and that it would still be very funny, Hmmmmm, an odd one then, and I suppose it's one of those times where I'd rate it quite highly, but at the same time I'm not sure I'd necessarily recommend it to people. 4/5, I guess, but only just.

lauraxsynthesis

Back at the local comedy club last night - Happy Mondays, which was at the temporary venue of The Fox & Firkin in Lewisham. First up was a medium-sized set from Kevin Eldon. Apparently it was all new stuff and some of it was bang up to date eg some news about Banksy led to him saying he's met Banksy a few times and that his actual identity is
Spoiler alert
Nicholas Witchell. Lots of silly voices and silly movement stuff. A bit about Dennis Norden's voice. The microphone fell apart for 3 of the acts across the night and each person reacted differently. Eldon pretended to get electrocuted which was funny af.
[close]

We got short sets from 3 other folks.
Peter Picton was older than average and Welsh and did fairly general material but nothing wrong with that. Very funny.

Steve Holmes came on with a stick, did some great disability satire, and was generally skillful and funny.

Isabelle Farah was my favourite of the three. Terrific stage presence and charisma. Her father is Lebanese, she found out that this dude Tom in the front row worked in the oil industry and she had some fun with that - "How long have you been amoral" or something like that. I deffo want to see her do an hour.

The headliner was Nick Helm doing a warmup for the tour that starts next week. I don't know how it is I've not seen him live before.
Spoiler alert
Awesomely funny. Much of what happened seemed ad libbed, but I guess it was mostly scripted. As soon as he came on he spoke to Tom the oil man and said, "Are you the cunt?". Lots of swearing, talk of erections and coming, loads of audience interaction, fury, abuse of the audience, general misanthropy. He'd ask us to shout out if we've very been on various antidepressants. Early on, the gig organiser's dog wandered onstage and he mulled over various violent things he could do to it. Somehow all this horribleness just made him more likeable. He's very skilled indeed. The show ended with a song - not one of his better ones. Apart from that, the folks seeing him on tour are in for a treat, I reckon. 
[close]

Tiggles

Ah great. I'm seeing Nick Helm in Manchester in a few weeks - now I'm looking forward to it even more. Thank you!

non capisco

Eldon as
Spoiler alert
Bruce Forsyth going "Thththth, stop the boats!"
[close]
has stayed in my head all today.

Agreed on Helm, thought he was great. Feel like that sustained misanthropy and faux-belligerent energy may have got slightly wearing in lesser hands but he definitely pulled it off. I laughed at every "I haven't started yet." Be interested to hear from anyone who sees the full tour set to see if there's any more context to
Spoiler alert
that meh 'sit on my face' song (not THAT one) at the end
[close]
which seemed a bit like a callback to a bit that he didn't actually do earlier in the night. Very funny set other than that, though.

lauraxsynthesis

Had an absolutely lovely night yesterday at the Bill Murray with a group of London CaBers and I'm going to tell youse all about it.

Simon Amstell is back! It was WIP all new stuff about
Spoiler alert
magic mushrooms, a new photography hobby, worrying he's a pervert, life with his boyfriend of 12 years, his dysfunctional family and there was some decent satire as well particularly about the Royal Family. Not a lot of big laughs and it still has a way to go as a show. Also, rather a lot of it referred to his fame and stardom, and I liked those bits but someone who isn't aware he was on telly a lot 20 years ago might just be bemused. He looks just the same as then though jesus christ. At the end he asked the audience for questions and there were tedious questions about ayahuasca so maybe he shouldn't keep that in. He seemed as neurotic as ever and particularly angry about his crap father, but he claimed to not be angry anymore and to be feeling better mentally. Not sure I buy it, but good luck to him. I reckon when it's fully cooked it'll be a funny show and well worth a look if you don't mind self-referential whimsy.
[close]

Next was Colin Hoult working on his new show Colin which is meant to be about ADHD. It was a big hit with us, none of whom had seen him live before though I think a couple of us had seen Anna Mann shows if only onscreen.
Spoiler alert
He said he's recently figured out he's bisexual, and if that's true that it's recent I guess this is also his coming out show though there's not a lot about that. Lots about his family upbringing and his reverence towards his father who sounds rather like Jim Royle. He did a fair bit of clowning and voices which he's very good at. It always makes me laugh when he says "FAACK" in that way he does as himself or Anna Mann. He said a couple of times that tonight's show was more low-energy than usual, and I've now seen a bit of the same material on his Insta and can see what he means. It was quite a warm and gentle performance. Super funny throughout. The material jumped around and back and forth loads though which may be ADHD or because it's WIP or a demonstration of the ADHD that's a subject of the show. I didn't mind it though, he's just very funny and I enjoyed it all the way through.
[close]
I reckon I'll see it again when it's done and presumably in the high energy version. Going to seek out more of his stuff as well including going to see the Anna Mann podcast recorded.

non capisco

Yep, loved that Colin Hoult WIP, been thinking of bits of it again all day and smiling.
Spoiler alert
Especially the strange way his brother says "Theatre!" and the "They all want shooting!" riff. And a childhood misunderstanding about the function of the chimney of a local mental health hospital rang near-identical bells with my own childhood looking at the imposing towers of Stone and Bexley hospitals and thinking "fucking hell".
[close]

Would really like to see the finished high octane version, he mentioned a visual element he was going to introduce at the end which should be a moving end to the show if he pulls it off.

That Simon Amstell WIP sounds indistinguishable from every other show I've seen him do in the last 12 years

Mobbd

I don't often post here, but I didn't want to start a new thread for this guy because he's young and doesn't deserve a dedicated thread affecting his Google results. I won't even say his name here but I'll link to the show so you can see what I'm talking about if you're interested.

Ethnic Reveal Party was easily the worst thing I've seen in years.

It was deeply unfunny (lots of lame references to TikTok videos nobody in the room had seen, weak variations on standards like "that was a hard wank," the expectation that "a Karen" and "soccer mum" would get laughs just from being recognisable humour-adjacent terms) but the main problem was... it was racist. After 15 minutes of charitable laughter, I ended up just sitting there fuming. Some of the other punters looked a bit awkward/nonplussed too.

Basically, the guy identifies as Brown, doesn't know his dad, and goes on a genetic odyssey (i.e. he gets a DNA test) to find out "where he's from."

It's basically a drawn out version of the "I know what you're thinking: I look like [celebrity]" line in that it's supposed to comedically address the elephant in the room. The guy sees himself as (or has been told that he looks) "ethnically ambiguous" and the show is about that.

A first stumbling block before we start to unpack the real problem is that he doesn't look Brown or even "ethnically ambiguous". He looks like a posh, white, dadbod, popped-rugby-collar type: he looks like Jack Whitehall or, more specifically, this booktube kid I sometimes watch. I just kept thinking "what the fuck is he talking about? The privilege is dripping off him." My instinct is to believe and accept anyone's self-stated ethnicity but I couldn't escape the thought that he was Rachel Dolezal-level delusional.

But this is beside the point because even if he was visibly Brown or Black or multi, his position is one of internalised white racism.

His show isn't about his struggles as a Brown person. All he's doing is asking the same question that white racists ask of visible minorities: "where are you from? / Aye, but where are you really from?"

At one point, he asked an audience member to guess what his ethnicity might be. "You're Scottish," came the answer.

It was the right answer. He'd already told us that his mum is Scottish. He was raised and lives in Edinburgh. He has a Scottish accent.

But the answer flustered him and later we'd find out why: "I'm Scottish" was to be the wholesome conclusion of his journey. But it shouldn't have been. It should have been the wholesome start of it. He assumed the audience would share the racist assumption that a Brown Edinburgh man was "from" anywhere other than Scotland... but we didn't.

He shows us some school photographs from his childhood. He looked like a very cute kid and they were nice/pleasantly amusing to see. But his comedy for this bit is that he's "been every race," because he arguably looks a bit Chinese in one of them and a bit Portuguese in another and so on. Urgh.

He rattles through a bunch of Indian jokes because he believed for a while he "was Indian" (i.e. had a biological Indian father somewhere) but they would have been hack and low-level racist even he really was of Indian descent. But we quickly learn that he isn't.

He says he's "not Black enough" (he's not Black full-stop) "to start rapping now" (there are lots of non-Black rappers; and regular Black people don't generally go around rapping). Urgh.

We eventually learn (spoiler alert!) that he's half-Albanian. Wow, how amazing. He researches his "heritage" and learns about the Albanian Genocide, which he then educates us about as if we'd never heard of THE ALBANIAN GENOCIDE. You know, it was quite a big deal, kid.

The Glasgow Comedy Fest is a bit of a trial run for Edinburgh, lots of WIPs and that. It shouldn't be but, given the time of year, it is. So I thought, "well, he'll have a talk with himself and knock the edges off this thing and it'll be okay in the end." But it turns out this isn't the start of a new show: it's the end of an old show. He's been touring this pish. He's already done a month of it in Edinburgh at the Gilded Balloon. The guy plays The Stand. He was up for BBC best newcomer. The fuck is happening to standup?

(Oddly, when Googling for the show link above, it's described as a WIP in a couple of places. It isn't. Which is odd.)

I'm off for a nice cleansing shower now.

lauraxsynthesis

Reminds me of all those Edinburgh Fringe listings where American couples who've never done comedy before bring a half-baked show about having different ethnicities eg "He's Jewish, she's Korean, oy vey!". The show writes itself! Except it doesn't and please fuck off back to Park Slope.

Tiggles

Amy Gledhill & Chris Cantrill WIP double bill @ A Lovely Time/ Grub, Manchester

This was Amy and Chris performing separately and sequentially, rather than being TDS. I think they are both intending to take these shows to Edinburgh, and if I go I'll definitely book them.

Amy was up first. This was apparently her first WIP - she showed us her diagram - and she has a collection of very funny stories that she's already telling brilliantly. The last story she told was deliciously gossipy but silly. There's a few bits to figure out, obviously, and maybe there's just a few too many "autobiographical" sexcapade stories for my taste at the mo, but it is clearly going to be a fantastic laughter-filled hour that I want to see.

Chris' show was on the more fully formed end of the WIP spectrum, he just needs to tidy up the stitching and work a few bits out. As anyone who's seen him try stuff out since last summer will know, on the surface it's about Chris and his family upping sticks to the countryside. This could feel pedestrian as a subject, but of course it isn't. Chris has some of the most naturally funny delivery I've seen along with just the right level of swerve/ whimsy and I laughed constantly. Again, I definitely want to see this one again.

And again I LOVE the weekend afternoon slot for watching WIP! The venue/ club is super-friendly and I have to recommend it to anyone into live comedy in the area. They have a great future line-up, too.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Tiggles on March 31, 2024, 11:18:41 AMAmy Gledhill & Chris Cantrill WIP double bill @ A Lovely Time/ Grub, Manchester

This was Amy and Chris performing separately and sequentially, rather than being TDS. I think they are both intending to take these shows to Edinburgh, and if I go I'll definitely book them.

I think they're planning to do solo shows and new Sausage (like in 2022).

Tiggles

lauraxsynthesis

Mobbd

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on March 28, 2024, 03:29:10 PMReminds me of all those Edinburgh Fringe listings where American couples who've never done comedy before bring a half-baked show about having different ethnicities eg "He's Jewish, she's Korean, oy vey!". The show writes itself! Except it doesn't and please fuck off back to Park Slope.

Yeah, pretty much. His jokes about Glasgow were that it's very Catholic. It isn't. It's just one of the many groups of people we have here, and if you want to refer to sectarianism you kinda have mention both sides of that coin. He's just not very bright really.

Mobbd

Gabriel Featherstone and Seaglass Beach in Curse of the Black Seal. I really, really enjoyed this at the Glasgow Comedy fest.

I've been watching Gabe at shithole basement gigs around Glasgow for years. He's always had great "surreal whimsy ideas" and while I've been in his corner I've never felt like recommending him until now.

And now I do. Highly. His performance skills are massive at the moment and his show design is great. He has a bunch of short films that don't just exist to fill time but are fully integrated into the show's structure and callbacks and whatnot.

Seaglass Beach is a burlesque performer he's teamed up with. She does funny little asides and banter with Gabe and they're really funny and charismatic together.

It still has a rough-and-ready homemade feel but that's very much to its credit. It's not try-hard. It's just right.

It's rude and horny and messy but it's also very kind; a great strength.

Anyway, I spoke to him after the show and they're taking the show to Brighton Fringe and Reykjavik too. I hope they take it to more places. Don't miss 'em.

mjwilson

Quote from: Tiggles on March 31, 2024, 11:18:41 AMAmy Gledhill & Chris Cantrill WIP double bill @ A Lovely Time/ Grub, Manchester

I managed to get a last minute ticket to this, really good fun.

edwardfog

Final two performances this week of Johnny White Really Really's amazing show Catland at Soho Theatre