Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sacha Baron #Cancelled

Started by Noodle Lizard, March 25, 2024, 08:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinky Lomax

It's chancers all the way down!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Bumlord on March 25, 2024, 01:36:41 PMSBC asks RW to finger his bum for film = bad

RW fingers Tom Hardy's bum non-consensually = lol

Or something

Username checks out.

Shaxberd

Quote from: Stinky Lomax on March 25, 2024, 02:48:45 PMIt's chancers all the way down!

I'm as serious as cancer when I say Cohen is a chancer.

The Bumlord

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 25, 2024, 02:52:55 PMUsername checks out.

And yet I've never been embroiled in any bottom-based controversy whereas this is her second time!

It's not fair, I tell you

frajer

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Lurker on March 25, 2024, 02:47:35 PMThat prank they pulled on the villagers in Borat was pretty shitty. They did try to sue too - I watched a documentary on it, the lawyer representing the villagers was a right chancer also.

When he brought out a nude Mexican with food on as a table in front of Paula Abdul I wondered who was the winner there. And I'm sure he did a few questionable things with a dildo on his Who is America thing.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 25, 2024, 11:42:42 AMAfter the publisher appealed, she was forced to give almost all her winnings back and pay their court costs. It was pretty obvious the judgement had been flawed in the first place.

The case wasn't about whether Rebel had been going around telling porkies - fudging her age is one thing, telling people she was related to Walt Disney is another. That was never in doubt. It was whether the magazine involved had pointed out she'd been lying in a defamatory fashion (that is, with an intent to harm her career).

(this is why #metoo failed utterly in Australia - telling the truth with the intent to cause harm to someone's public standing is a clear-cut case of defamation here)

So the jury found that pointing out a public figure was a liar was defamatory because you're calling them a liar (even if that's what they are). Then the judge went "well, obviously your massive payday for coming back for Pitch Perfect 2 was just an average payday for you and the fact that nothing you've done since has brought in anywhere near as much is clearly the fault of this magazine story, have a massive amount of damages."

Slightly later on, as has been pointed out, slightly cooler heads prevailed.

dissolute ocelot

SBC told the Guardian
QuoteWhile we appreciate the importance of speaking out, these demonstrably false claims are directly contradicted by extensive detailed evidence, including contemporaneous documents, film footage, and eyewitness accounts from those present before, during and after the production of The Brothers Grimsby.
So he has video of him not sticking his finger up Rebel Wilson's bum?

The Guardian got its finest journalist on the case:
QuoteGrimsby, which co-starred Isla Fisher and Mark Strong, is widely considered the lowest moment in Baron Cohen's screen career.

The Bumlord

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 25, 2024, 03:57:38 PMSo he has video of him not sticking his finger up Rebel Wilson's bum?

He wanted her to stick her finger up his bum.

What is wrong with you perverts ffs

checkoutgirl

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 25, 2024, 03:57:38 PMSo he has video of him not sticking his finger up Rebel Wilson's bum?

No it's the other way around. Rebel Wilson asked if she could pop a digit up her own bum while Sascha watched but he said no. This is why she's disgruntled and is in her book.

Quote from: Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub on March 25, 2024, 11:28:23 AMWasn't she the romantic interest for both Michael and George Michael in Arrested Development?

Her?

Ant Farm Keyboard

It was Mrs Featherbottom in AD, not Ms Fingerbottom.

Noodle Lizard

I didn't know Rebel Wilson had a history of telling porkies, and fair point about it seeming like promo for a book I can't imagine has any other selling point.

That being said, it sounds like her actual accusations might be stronger than what was talked about in that interview during promo for the film, and it'd be a risky lie. I dunno why SBC's lawyers would get involved if it was just a case of calling him an arsehole.

Armin Meiwes

Hold on when she said she didn't want to work with arseholes maybe she just meant literally.

Josef K

Think we can all agree the worst thing he's ever done is made Lee Kern an Oscar nominated writer

Some pretty embarrassing posts in this thread, lads.

lauraxsynthesis

Even the CaB discourse about this fecker is toxic

lauraxsynthesis

But I agree with this
Quote from: Josef K on March 25, 2024, 05:13:26 PMThink we can all agree the worst thing he's ever done is made Lee Kern an Oscar nominated writer

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on March 25, 2024, 06:46:16 PMEven the CaB discourse about this fecker is toxic

Do you mean that person that said Grimsby was the funniest thing theyve ever seen?

Small Man Big Horse

Huh, it's weird, as this thread has made me realise I didn't really have an opinion on Baron Cohen before. I've liked some of his films (both Borats, Bruno to a certain extent) thought Grimsby was horrible in places but occasionally funny, and I didn't make it past the first episode of Who Is America?. Yet despite that I hadn't thought about what he was like in real life, so it is a bit horrible if this is true, but yeah, maybe also not too surprising. Hmmmmm, I guess the only way we'll ever know if anyone else backs up what Wilson has said, or if other allegations are made.

thr0b

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 25, 2024, 08:14:56 PMHuh, it's weird, as this thread has made me realise I didn't really have an opinion on Baron Cohen before. I've liked some of his films (both Borats, Bruno to a certain extent) thought Grimsby was horrible in places but occasionally funny, and I didn't make it past the first episode of Who Is America?. Yet despite that I hadn't thought about what he was like in real life, so it is a bit horrible if this is true, but yeah, maybe also not too surprising. Hmmmmm, I guess the only way we'll ever know if anyone else backs up what Wilson has said, or if other allegations are made.

He's one of those celebs that it's easy not to have an opinion on, as he hasn't made himself ubiquitous by showing up on everything. Does a big project a couple of times a decade, and quietly disappears for the rest of the time.

He does good stuff, generally. I'll be disappointed if he turns out to be a twat though.

Small Man Big Horse

So, um, this is odd, but I was just reading the AV Club comments about this and apparently Wilson said on Jimmy Kimmel in 2019 that on one fil she stuck her finger up Tom Hardy's arse, and then on another film groped Anne Hathaway's breasts.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/10/rebel-wilson-claims-stuck-finger-tom-hardys-bum-weird-9495265/

I'm not for a second saying that it suggests she's not being truthful about Baron Cohen, but it does seem a bit mad that she revealed the above two incidents on an episode of a chat show.

Edit: Just spotted that it was mentioned on the other page. Sorry for the repetition.

Noodle Lizard

She revealed the SBC butthole story rather casually in an interview a decade ago too, so it's tricky to grasp her stance on that sort of behaviour.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 25, 2024, 08:54:19 PMShe revealed the SBC butthole story rather casually in an interview a decade ago too, so it's tricky to grasp her stance on that sort of behaviour.
I think it's fair to think something is acceptable by the standards of the day and in retrospect realise it probably wasn't then and certainly isn't now.

My feeling is SBC and Rebel are probably both arseholes but in that situation SBC had the power.

Butchers Blind

I had no idea anal finger insertion was so rampant in Hollywood.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 25, 2024, 08:29:13 PMapparently Wilson said on Jimmy Kimmel in 2019 that on one fil she stuck her finger up Tom Hardy's arse, and then on another film groped Anne Hathaway's breasts

The worst part is the hypocrisy. Not the gropin'.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 25, 2024, 08:29:13 PMSo, um, this is odd, but I was just reading the AV Club comments about this and apparently Wilson said on Jimmy Kimmel in 2019 that on one fil she stuck her finger up Tom Hardy's arse, and then on another film groped Anne Hathaway's breasts.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/10/rebel-wilson-claims-stuck-finger-tom-hardys-bum-weird-9495265/

I'm not for a second saying that it suggests she's not being truthful about Baron Cohen, but it does seem a bit mad that she revealed the above two incidents on an episode of a chat show.

Reading this I suspect that there might be some sort of reciprocal arrangement among Wilson, Baron Cohen and Hardy's PR teams, with the goal of generating well-timed headlines for their clients' latest output. A sort of "You stick your finger up my bum, I'll stick my finger up yours" type deal.

(That, and/or I've just made a flippant joke about sexual abuse which will age about as as well as most of The 11 O'Clock Show)