Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:57:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shogun (2024)

Started by Butchers Blind, February 20, 2024, 08:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Doesn't look good for Bunter

backdrifter

Can some Englishman explain to me why John would prepare a pheasant by letting maggots gorge on it?

Butchers Blind

Quote from: backdrifter on March 20, 2024, 03:47:34 AMCan some Englishman explain to me why John would prepare a pheasant by letting maggots gorge on it?

I was confused by this too. Surely there's a big difference between curing and just letting the flies get at it. Anyone have a ye olde cookbook?

MojoJojo

From my hazy memories of the book - it is usual to hang pheasant for a few days before cooking it. It wouldn't get maggots or even smell bad though, that's just something Clavell made up.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: backdrifter on March 20, 2024, 03:47:34 AMCan some Englishman explain to me why John would prepare a pheasant by letting maggots gorge on it?

Could it be that they would eat any dead (rancid) surface flesh so when you come to chow down it's all just delicious standard dead flesh?

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 20, 2024, 01:25:11 PMFrom my hazy memories of the book - it is usual to hang pheasant for a few days before cooking it. It wouldn't get maggots or even smell bad though, that's just something Clavell made up.

Wonder if Ian Fleming told him that.

Dex Sawash

Was it a passive-aggressive FU to the fella what gave him the bird to start with?

Oh yes gonna give this bird the hono(u)r it deserves

Dex Sawash

Episode 7- very good and foggy

Spoiler alert
surely Toranaga has something working we don't know about?
[close]

Is Gin

Spoiler alert
offering help or offering to stay quiet about what she knows in exchange for future geisha stuff?
[close]

Fishfinger

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 04, 2024, 01:57:56 PMEpisode 7- very good and foggy

Spoiler alert
surely Toranaga has something working we don't know about?
[close]

Spoiler alert
Yeah, he's always furthering his own ends behind the scenes. I thought it was mighty convenient an army Toranaga will need appeared on his doorstep, despite being ostensibly hostile. I presume his overnight contemplation was to buy time for something already in motion, and Blackthorne's storming off is unlikely to be what it seems. I thought the attack at the end wasn't part of the plan (notwithstanding the death being an obvious accident, of course).
[close]

Dex Sawash

selectivememory

Woah, latest one was a bit tense and then some.

Bentpitch

I was left open mouthed and no mistake.

Dex Sawash

Is this streaming for not america or  download only?

niat

It's streaming on Disney + in the UK. And it's fucking brilliant!

backdrifter

CaledonianGonzo

More of an understated and elegaic ending than an explosive battle-fest, but all the better for it.

Best show on telly.

selectivememory

The scene with Fuji and Anjin on the boat was very touching. Also enjoyed Toranaga chatting with Yabushige and revealing the extent of his scheming and his own brutality, right before carrying out his sentence.

Excellent stuff overall. Final three episodes I think really bumped it up a notch for me from being merely just good. Mariko-sama MVP for sure.

CaledonianGonzo

I've seen some disappointment online that it didn't end with a Battle of the Bastards-style throwdown, but it wasn't really playing that sort of game in the first place.

In fact, there's a whopping spoiler to the inevitable outcome in the name of the show.

Dex Sawash

wondering why when whoever it was that

Spoiler alert
exploded the door, presumambly to get access to the people barricaded inside, they didn't then rush in and attack any survivors
[close]

what were that all about?