Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:33:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Started by thelittlemango, March 28, 2023, 07:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on March 31, 2023, 08:23:04 PMJust watched the video and it looks amazing imo. Just the idea of slowly scaling upside-down asian temples floating in the sky has sold me on it, the mad abilities is a bonus. BotW at its best felt like you were moving through an immense serene dreamscape and this looks like it has pushed that to the nth degree

Only problem is I haven't got a Switch now. Legitimately might buy one for this

If you pause the trailers you can see some crazy islands up there, several huge obstacle courses that wind up into the sky like something out of Mario Galaxy. It's both impressive and frustrating that they've held back so much of that stuff from the footage.

Johnny Textface

Ideally I could do with someone who wants to swap a switch for a meta quest 2.

I'll be going from Series S back to hours on a Nintendo soon. Are the loading times going to hurt me?

RetroRobot

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 31, 2023, 04:05:46 PMi was taking a break from BOTW but I'm going to pick it up again tonight purely to spite you

Do it. I'm glad you love it! I like it fine, I just don't get the same click everyone else seemed to. I like the exploration and traversal but to me there's nothing to find? Enemy camps and korok seeds are samey, shrines aren't as fun or magical as dungeons, the divine beasts were okay but suffered from the same issue I've got with the shrines. Bland.
Was hoping the sequel would fix it, give me a reason to want to explore the world as again, I loved that side of it.

madhair60

Roxy Robinson

Quote from: madhair60 on March 31, 2023, 11:24:02 PM

well i know i'm gonna get yelled at

Not at all. Your claims have been very gently challenged and you've been heartily encouraged in the hope that you can get the most from your time with the game. If you use your imagination, creativity and ingenuity, you will find the game responding in Zen symbiosis.

Thursday

I do think madhair is a fucking cunt to be fair.

RetroRobot

Quote from: madhair60 on March 31, 2023, 11:24:02 PM

well i know i'm gonna get yelled at

It's alright mate I'm in the same boat. I even said I liked the game!!!! Just needs good dungeons and no shrines aren't the same thing at all.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: RetroRobot on March 31, 2023, 10:53:22 PMDo it. I'm glad you love it! I like it fine, I just don't get the same click everyone else seemed to. I like the exploration and traversal but to me there's nothing to find? Enemy camps and korok seeds are samey, shrines aren't as fun or magical as dungeons, the divine beasts were okay but suffered from the same issue I've got with the shrines. Bland.
Was hoping the sequel would fix it, give me a reason to want to explore the world as again, I loved that side of it.

To be entirely fair I cant answer any of Madhair's criticisms because I've been playing it for so long (with a 1-2 year gap in the middle) that I genuinely don't remember what it was like to start the game, and I've resumed playing with a lot of capability and forward momentum.

Roxy Robinson

I'm not sure where the suggestion first came from but many a time I've heard tell that this game is almost a reflection of the player. From some of the responses here, it seems that that truism rings truer than ever.

Thursday

Yeah if you enjoy the game it means you're clever, creative, sexy and talented, and if you don't it means you're a thick twat.

madhair60

Quote from: Roxy Robinson on April 01, 2023, 09:28:33 AMI'm not sure where the suggestion first came from but many a time I've heard tell that this game is almost a reflection of the player. From some of the responses here, it seems that that truism rings truer than ever.

It's alright mate I already know it's you, no need for the greatest hits. :p

bgmnts

I enjoyed the few hours of BotW more than I ever have a Ubisoft or From Software game to be fair.

madhair60

I think there are points which are an issue if you haven't done things in a certain order.

It's got to be extremely difficult to get up some of the towers without Rivali's Gale.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on April 01, 2023, 03:38:47 PMI think there are points which are an issue if you haven't done things in a certain order.

It's got to be extremely difficult to get up some of the towers without Rivali's Gale.

I think I've climbed them all (except for the area that Vah Rivali is in, in fact) and haven't had a problem, did have to upgrade the ol' stamina wheel for the Desert Tower and have a few stamina dinners.  Vah Rivali is also the one divine beast that I need to do.

Dickie_Anders

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on April 01, 2023, 03:38:47 PMI think there are points which are an issue if you haven't done things in a certain order.

I climbed all of the towers before doing any of the Divine Beasts, don't remember it being particularly difficult. I was also visiting shrines and putting all of my Spirit Orbs into stamina, though

grainger

Nintendo games are about play. I am not generally someone who "crafts" in games, but I trust Nintendo to have come up their own twist on this. It seems like this game (or at least, what's new about it) is about pootling about, trying different things, and seeing what happens. To ignore that might be missing the key point.

Aside: Dungeons are cool, but the BoTW shrines were great too.

madhair60

Quote from: Thursday on April 01, 2023, 12:35:27 AMI do think madhair is a fucking cunt to be fair.

missed this. is a reasonable assessment of my character. no further comment really.

madhair60

btw the punchline to all this is it turned out I had already been to the village and bought armour and I still basically get killed by everything because I read somewhere "don't upgrade your hearts, you need stamina more" so poured everything into that and now I have no health :(

start over for 11th time Y/N?

Thursday

Who said that? I can sort of see the logic that stamina is more important to help you reach new places, but that's an absolutely mental thing to say.

madhair60

well, BOTW fans are pathological liars, so it stands to reason

Dickie_Anders

I poured everything into stamina at the start and it was fine (but again, I approached a lot of situations with 'it's okay if I avoid combat here because I probably will die' at the beginning. Plus the game encourages you to use your funny physics abilities from a safe distance and fuck enemies up with them)

madhair60

I'll try and play differently. At least this time I am sticking with it haha

Pink Gregory

I think I got enough stamina for one wheel and then started putting it into hearts?  Not sure if I prioritised one or the other but I'm still getting cunted for 7 hearts if a Moblin gets me so it's still a challenge. 

madhair60

holy shit it just clicked. i just got it, six years on.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on April 02, 2023, 12:07:30 PMbtw the punchline to all this is it turned out I had already been to the village and bought armour and I still basically get killed by everything because I read somewhere "don't upgrade your hearts, you need stamina more" so poured everything into that and now I have no health :(

start over for 11th time Y/N?

Don't start over, have you been to Hateno village yet? I'm afraid it's the next (and last) waypoint after Kakariko.

Behind a hill, near the main entrance to Hateno, there's a creepy statue that can exchange your hearts and stamina one at a time. You should be fine getting there to respec with minimal health. 

Pink Gregory

also, tip that I could have saved a lot of time with; it doesn't stop raining in Lanayru until you deal with the Zora Divine Beast.

Think I somehoe ran all the way along the coastline on a 45 degree slope trying to get to Akkala on foot before I realised I couldn't make it over the mountain range