Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,478
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:26:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Mobbd on January 04, 2022, 03:18:21 PMHah! Well, that didn't literally happen but what happened was almost as stupid.

Ooh, you tease! That's the lunchtime reading sorted, then.

Kelvin

Tbh, I think their discussion about episodes 4 and 5 of Picard might be my favourite - or at least most watched - RLM video. The latter half is so full of great moments, with Rich trying to break Mike out of his denial, and that lovely moment where Mike just cracks up at Rich "having an answer for everything." It really brings out a different side in Mike when he talks to Rich one on one like that.

greenman

Quote from: Mobbd on January 04, 2022, 01:30:12 PMThat was definitely the motivation too. They want to talk about Star Trek, know that the viewers enjoy their talks about Star Trek, but (to paraphrase) "I'm not sure we have talked about Star Trek [when reviewing Picard and Discovery]".

They really struggled with New Trek, I think. "It makes my skin crawl" - Mike.

The TNG vids are a delight. I do enjoy their Discovery reviews though. Excellent invested analysis and great "despair energy".

The Nu Trek stuff does become entertaining as a kind of continued breakdown by Mike goaded by Rich.

Really though I think theres plenty of room for more TNG era stuff, the videos so far have I think struck a great balance between a genuine love of the show and a sense of fun. Wouldnt mind seeing a similar kind of picks episode with DS9.

Mobbd

2021 movie catch-up (part 1) from Half in the Bag is out now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOzsy6IHNUM

I enjoy these because Mike and Jay talk about non-shit films that I might actually watch (and often do!). A bit low on the hit rate this time, mind. Might try I Care A Lot. Looking forward to Part 2.

Lord Mandrake

After Mike, via Colin recommended 'I think you should leave'. I immediately binged both series and can report it is consistently hilarious.

I can't agree with that. It's very hit and miss, and the first series was a lot better. It gets very samey as well, "here comes the shouty zany bit". When it's good, it's good though :D
I really liked that sketch in the second series where he's at a party doing the blues brother dance and the dog gets spooked :D

I know it's part of his schtick, but Mike seems to be really running on fumes at the minute. He can barely muster the enthusiasm to string a coherent sentence together, and I mean more so than usual.
Is he alright? Does he just like drinking more than thinking nowadays?

Mobbd

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on January 18, 2022, 01:06:47 PMIs he alright? Does he just like drinking more than thinking nowadays?

It's his dementia.

What happens when a midwit pseud gets dementia?
Space Cop 2?

Deanjam

Part 2 of the catch-up is here, including a surprising appearance from BBC's Ghosts show.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Deanjam on January 20, 2022, 04:33:55 PMPart 2 of the catch-up is here, including a surprising appearance from BBC's Ghosts show.

Which I bet Mike watched not knowing it wasn't a documentary.

beanheadmcginty

I had no idea they'd made an American version of Ghosts (which according to Mike is rubbish compared to the BBC version). I bet it's fucking awful.

Bad Ambassador

I've seen the first three episodes, and it is. The house is too nice, everyone's too attractive and you feel the writers really don't like the characters. It's oddly misanthropic and smug compared to the kind and openhearted UK version.

Now we have to get Rich to watch Stath Lets Flats.

letsgobrian

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 21, 2022, 01:10:55 PMI had no idea they'd made an American version of Ghosts (which according to Mike is rubbish compared to the BBC version). I bet it's fucking awful.

It's not that bad. I didn't find the gulf in quality as big as he did, but of course I'm going from the UK to the US, not the US to the UK, so the perspective is different.

It's doing really well in the ratings, adding viewers since its debut, so it'll likely rapidly outstrip the original in episode count quite quickly.

While the setup is near identical, the main difference is that they've added a lot more non-mansion ghosts as guest stars, presumably as to not burn out the UK versions premise within the first season.

I downloaded "old" on the strength of that.
It looks fucking shit!

Occurred to me the other day that Mike's Mr Plinkett voice is basically Buffalo Bill, isn't it. Can't believe I never noticed before. I guess fits it with the elderly serial killer thing they were running with in the Star Wars review videos.

"Put the fucking lotion in the baaaaaasket!"

idunnosomename

basically, but I think it's also an old person voice he did to entertain his long-term friend Rich Evans

Deanjam

Wasn't Plinkett originally a Rich character that Mike borrowed for the videos?

JamesTC

Quote from: Deanjam on January 27, 2022, 11:44:47 PMWasn't Plinkett originally a Rich character that Mike borrowed for the videos?

I wouldn't say borrowed as it was for a project they both worked on. But Rich was the original Plinkett. This is the first Plinkett film they both did:

idunnosomename

yeah there was a bit of a controversy when Half in the Bag started up about how there was this "fake Plinkett", when Rich Evans was the first one to play an old man character under that name. but really the serial killer with opinions about Star Trek/Star Wars/Baby's Day Out is a different character to the old man who wants to watch his Night Court VHS tape

Deanjam

DrGreggles

Never knew there was a remake.

Blumf

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 29, 2022, 06:53:55 PMNever knew there was a remake.

One of the better of the pointless cash-in remakes/reboots, does enough different to justify it's existence and isn't a complete clunker. Not a must see, but if you do watch, you won't feel insulted.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Blumf on January 29, 2022, 07:49:24 PMif you do watch, you won't feel insulted remember it.
Appropriately.

idunnosomename

it's very funny to think of the extremely prosaic Arnie DVD commentary

in that that all the film after Recall is totally a murderous fantasy by a construction worker having a "schizoid embolism" during the memory implant process.

i never understood the sweat running down as a giveaway when I was a kid. now I feel validated. it is projected by Quaid onto the intervention to maintain his ridiculous fantasy. Verhoeven is just making the whole bloody nonsense film through the fantasy of someone who wants to be a meathead action hero like Arnie. glorious really

QDRPHNC

Put me in the mood to revisit Total Recall now. I remember watching it and liking it as a young teenager, but it didn't rank alongside Robocop or the Running Man for me.

kngen

when did they start bleeping out swearing? just noticed it there, but maybe it's been going on for a while?

JamesTC

YouTube monetisation, I imagine.

idunnosomename

They bleep it in the intro because the algorithm doesnt like swearing at the beginning of videos i believe

I thought the whole point of having a patreon was so you didn't have to worry about those sorts of restrictions and chasing youtube's advertising chump change.