Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:46:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

An all new classic ads thread!

Started by Glebe, November 11, 2020, 11:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

*bump*

Limara Body Spray 1982 TV commercial.

Had forgotten all about that. A surprisingly risqué Disney homage!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Just look at that fish's reaction as he gets a grandstand view of yer woman's norks!

I remember that ad very well, actually.

petril

Quote from: Yussef Dent on November 26, 2020, 02:19:47 PMHere's an advert with a needlessly very shouty British Bulldog for the Daily Mirror and a Burger King promotion, in the comments section there's one by the guy who was young lad in the commercial which is really rather nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKtztBjwCvQ

that track in the background is called Replica and was used by WCW for a few things, but mainly ended up as Chris Benoit's theme music for a bit

Glebe

Did a bit of research on that Limara ad... it was animated by the Richard Williams Studio and the song is an adapted version of the singer Stevie Vann's 'Remember My Name' (she also sang the 'Bodyform' and 'Trio' themes apparently!).

Richard Williams is responsible for animating a number of classic ads, some of which have already been posted here, but here's some more... I'd actually forgotten about this Superman anti-smoking campaign featuring 'Nick O' Teen'!:

Somebody says in the comments, 'So if Metropolis is in America why are there British children', heh! Looks like The Daily Planet and staff have been transplanted to London!

This non-Richard Williams US advert is pretty anodyne in comparison:

Here's more Richard Williams Studio ads:

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteRE: Milligan, he did a voiceover for Birds Custard ("If it's not Birds, then you're a custard short of a pudding!") but I can't find it... also remember an ad for something where he's asleep in bed.

Not sure if you've found out in the year plus change since that post, Glebe, but the one where he was in bed (complete with Scrooge-style nightcap and nightgown) was one of the many Unigate milk ads featuring the unseen 'Humphries'.

I've not been able to find Spike's one, which has him reciting some comedy doggerel before pulling a fresh glass of milk from under his pillow ('gotta be prepared, y'know!'), but a whole load of other Humphrey ads are up on YouTube in varying quality, featuring a plethora of big names.

Frank Muir:

Barbara Windsor:

Rod Hull and Emu:

Benny Hill (with the sound badly out of sync):

Even Muhammad Ali!

George White

Quote from: Glebe on January 11, 2022, 09:07:04 PM

Somebody says in the comments, 'So if Metropolis is in America why are there British children', heh! Looks like The Daily Planet and staff have been transplanted to London!

To be honest, the Reeve movies are the same. "East Houston" in Superman II with the English-accented local lad, Superman III has a Hillman Hunter in the junkyard, Supergirl has BBC Micros in the school computer room, and then Superman IV of course relocates the UN to Milton Keynes.

Glebe

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on January 12, 2022, 03:07:30 AMNot sure if you've found out in the year plus change since that post, Glebe, but the one where he was in bed (complete with Scrooge-style nightcap and nightgown) was one of the many Unigate milk ads featuring the unseen 'Humphries'.

Weird I think I remember that Spike-in-bed ad from around the '90s, in any case thanks for the info CT! I've seen some of those Humphries ads before!

Quote from: George White on January 12, 2022, 09:17:04 AMTo be honest, the Reeve movies are the same. "East Houston" in Superman II with the English-accented local lad, Superman III has a Hillman Hunter in the junkyard, Supergirl has BBC Micros in the school computer room, and then Superman IV of course relocates the UN to Milton Keynes.

Oh yeah good point George!

TheGingerAlien

Glebe

Glebe

More Richard Williams, this time Kenneth Williams voicing a toilet:

Another Knorr ad I'd forgotten about, starring Sylvester McCoy and Moira the chicken!:

Somewhat sexist Rennies ad featuring an attractive woman having a wardrobe malfunction:

Series of Weetabix ads I'd forgotten about... first one is a mite un-PC:

Glebe

Couple of Eircom (Irish mobile/broadband company) ads from a few years back, featuring Grimes 'Oblivion':

Glebe

'Naughty but nice' fresh cream ads!:

Glebe

'Go smash an egg' ads with Diana Dors, Billy Connolly and celebrity dog trainer Barbara Woodhouse!:

George White

Am fascinated by old US ads shown on UK TV, or made for the UK market (especially dubbed - like the Matt LeBlanc cola one or the Sharon Stone hairspray one).
Looking for as many examples.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on January 24, 2022, 09:18:57 PMAm fascinated by old US ads shown on UK TV, or made for the UK market (especially dubbed - like the Matt LeBlanc cola one or the Sharon Stone hairspray one).
Looking for as many examples.

It's funny when you see US/UK ads with Irish voiceovers dubbed on.

Mr Trumpet

This isn't really a "funny" ad but it's lodged in my memory. I asked about it on Reddit but no joy, I wonder if anyone here remembers it?

It was an ad for coffee, or banking or some similar grown-up product/service, and would have aired probably in the early 90s. It was very arty, shot in black and white. Looked like an Enya music video. It had a pretentious female voiceover, talking about how she wanted to go to Africa as a child, and then she moved there as an adult. There was a bit where a seaplane flew overhead in slow motion.

Any ideas?

Glebe

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on January 25, 2022, 11:17:05 AMThis isn't really a "funny" ad but it's lodged in my memory. I asked about it on Reddit but no joy, I wonder if anyone here remembers it?

It was an ad for coffee, or banking or some similar grown-up product/service, and would have aired probably in the early 90s. It was very arty, shot in black and white. Looked like an Enya music video. It had a pretentious female voiceover, talking about how she wanted to go to Africa as a child, and then she moved there as an adult. There was a bit where a seaplane flew overhead in slow motion.

Any ideas?

Was thinking it might be one of those 'I wanna be' ads (Prudential, that's it), thought this might be it but no luck - although I do remember this and I don't think it's been posted yet!:

And look, a second Mark Williams and Jo 'Mrs. Morris' Unwin Prudential ad that I'd forgotten about!:

Then I was thinking, 'Wasn't there an ad campaign that used Black's 'Wonderful Life'?' It's not what you're looking for Mr T but your inquiry has spurred me into a fruitful search!

Glebe

"We're Tile Market!"

The classic J.R. Hartley Yellow Pages ad was included in the first post, but oddly enough forgot to post other YP ads (including the gardener one, the French polishers oh and the Hornby one which I remember now!):

Glebe

Twix 'A break from the norm' ads:

Dr Rock

What was the early 90s uber-prentious one about the posh dad saying his son had to swim with sharks and fart in a windmill and other bobbins?

Replies From View

"Gruesome Greenies" Smarties adverts with the voice of Chris Barrie failing to sound very American.

Catalogue Trousers

From 1991, and, with the original run of Twin Peaks still very much a thing, Kyle MacLachlan lets Agent Cooper out for a trot to advertise ridged crisps...

monkfromhavana

What was that advert, I think for a board game, where the evil character ended the ad with something like "Let's Parrtaay!!"?

Icehaven

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on February 01, 2022, 11:14:53 PMFrom 1991, and, with the original run of Twin Peaks still very much a thing, Kyle MacLachlan lets Agent Cooper out for a trot to advertise ridged crisps...

I remember that but had misremembered it as being for Toblerone as I mostly remember Kyle MacLachlan saying "Peaks!"

Glebe

I don't think we've actually done Lilt - 'with the totally tropical taste!'

Beagle 2

Ah shit I really want a Lilt now.

Back in what I'm guessing was the early 90s (for that is when I used to listen to commercial radio), there was a series of radio adverts for Cadbury's Boost performed by Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer.

Here's one of them:

https://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/record/d6ea8969-ed39-4a6c-af7b-35fe9dfe045f

But I'm trying to find another one where the payoff was something about "delicious acorns and lemon squash".  Anyone know what on earth I'm talking about?

Glebe

^Heh!

Caught half of Neil Brand's The Sound of TV the other night, covers some of the ads mentioned here including the Frank Muir Fruit and Nut and 'join our Club' ones.

I found some scripts for some more of these Vic and Bob Boost ads - don't remember any of these, but still can't find any sign of the one I do remember.

Glebe

The mention of Roysters has inspired me to check YT for the 'Roy, m'boy!' ads again, and there's one up there! There was another one with the dad and his son (Roy? Roy Jnr.?) going fishing that's not up there though.