Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021/2022: All Thread Everything

Started by madhair60, November 22, 2021, 08:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

This Indie Hall of Fame is cool. Nice to see Chris Hero come back out the woodwork to induct Tracy Smothers.

Punk roasting Jerry Lynn and Sean Waltman was some good wholesome fun.

Ja'moke

BeardFaceMan

Good shout, far preferred that match to his one with Page.

Should we be running a sweep for how long it is before Lio Rush 'retires' from Terminus?

Mobius

Seems like a weird fit for Terminus' rules based wrestling really. But yeah, he'll probably just stick around for 5 minutes anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I see that WWE asked Peyton Royce and Billie Kay to come back for a Rumble appearance. The fucking nerve.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mobius on January 23, 2022, 08:48:40 PMI see that WWE asked Peyton Royce and Billie Kay to come back for a Rumble appearance. The fucking nerve.

The sad thing is, about 90% of the wrestlers in that position that they ask would say 'yes'. I know it's getting eyes on Impact but I'm still surprised Mickie James is going back, it's going to be fascinating to see how the forbidden door stuff is handled on WWE TV.

Mobius

Yeah wrestlers have bills to pay but it's nice when ex-WWE guys and girls tell them to get fucked. I believe The Iconics had a lot of visa/deportation related bullshit to deal with as a result of their release, and they're getting a great push in IMPACT, so good on them for saying no.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah it's nice when people realise there is a decent wrestling life to be had outside of WWE and they don't need to eat shit and go back there. Now there are more viable options for people to work I hope its something we'll be seeing a bit more of.

Ja'moke

The Cardonas are so good at being pieces of shit. What a reinvention for Zack Ryder GCW has been.

Gurke and Hare

Anthony Ogogo was a surprise on the card at the Progress show last night so that'll be an AEW wrestler sneaking through the forbidden door onto the WWE Network.

Deanjam

I'll do a Royal Rumble sweep for Saturday. Put your name down here or in the dedicated thread I'm about to create.

Deanjam

Talk that WWE are pushing for Ronda Rousey to return for the rumble. I quite enjoyed her last run, but it's another part timer who'll fuck off at the earliest opportunity, and if she's in the match she'll win it.

Ja'moke

This ladder match is fucking nuts. Some amazing spots and they're nailing them perfectly.

Mobius

Yea that was an amazing ladder match. Fucking brutal, some truly insane spots

Ja'moke

That was the best way to debut Danhausen. Just randomly hanging out under the ring haha

Gurke and Hare

Yeah, that was great.

I like that there were two absolutely brutal matches with not a drop of blood between them.

Ja'moke

Well, no blood from the face at least. OC's hand looked pretty gnarly.

madhair60

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 27, 2022, 02:47:37 AMThat was the best way to debut Danhausen. Just randomly hanging out under the ring haha

well, AEW had a good run. I won't be watching again until that meme cunt is dead or released. Cheers

edit: I realise this is a slight overreaction but I cannot stress enough how unfunny I find cringehausen

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mobius on January 27, 2022, 01:28:44 AMYea that was an amazing ladder match. Fucking brutal, some truly insane spots

Amazing spot fest, terrible match. Cody's suplex off the ladder was a thing of beauty I could watch on a loop all day but selling went out the window in that match. Why on earth bother working Sammys knee over if he's still springboarding off the top rope and jumping gracefully off a ladder? I hate that kind of thing, why bother doing the 'working over a body part' trope if it's going to be largely ignored?

As someone who is largely unfamiliar with Danhausen that was a very smarky and underwhelming introduction.

amateur

I look forward to watching this match while off my face on Friday night.

Ja'moke

AEW just needs to book Danhausen like how they booked Orange Cassidy at the start. Randomly popping up in the background in funny cameos. That's what got OC super over with the audience. And it's off to a good start, randomly debuting from under the ring is perfect Danhausen... and he got a HUGE reaction.

BeardFaceMan

He got a pop, sure, "HUGE reaction" would be an overstatement, though, let's not get ourselves into a HOOK tizzy. At least Excalibur named him straight away instead of doing the "is that...? Who is...? Is that who I think it is?!" stuff.

Magnum Valentino

What's the craic with him? Is he doing a Sandler bit? YouTube recommended me a video of him opening toys once but otherwise I know nothing about him, but I can see why Madhair doesn't like him.

Timothy

Some people on Reddit expect them to put Danhausen with Sting and Darby. That would be awful.

Hopefully he is just there to randomly appear into backstage segments and wont be taking much tv time. I just don't get why he is so popular.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 27, 2022, 03:21:08 PMWhat's the craic with him? Is he doing a Sandler bit? YouTube recommended me a video of him opening toys once but otherwise I know nothing about him, but I can see why Madhair doesn't like him.

Horror Host gimmick, he's referenced Conan O'Brien, Elvira, and Beetlejuice as being influences on the character.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 27, 2022, 02:22:14 PMHe got a pop, sure, "HUGE reaction" would be an overstatement, though, let's not get ourselves into a HOOK tizzy. At least Excalibur named him straight away instead of doing the "is that...? Who is...? Is that who I think it is?!" stuff.

Huge pop and huge reaction. His "Danhausen is All Elite" tweet has more interaction than many big named signings of the past including Sting, Malakai Black, Paul Wight, and Ruby Soho.

I dunno, I just respect a guy that scraped and clawed on the indies for years and then found a way to get himself over and develop a loyal fanbase with no major company backing. For a guy that has never appeared on national television (ROH doesn't count) to get that pop and a crowd full of people chanting his name, that's special.

People might brush him off as a "meme wrestler," but that's what people said about Orange Cassidy too and he is still super over and has put on some of the best matches and segments in AEW. Now, I'm not saying Danhausen is on the same level as OC in the ring, but I also don't think Danhausen is going to be positioned at the top of the card like OC. He will most likely be a mid-card character mostly used for comic relief while shifting a ton of merch.

For those unfamiliar, his interview on the Conan O'Brien podcast is well worth a listen.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 27, 2022, 04:58:19 PMHuge pop and huge reaction.

Then I guess we're using different metrics. Adam Cole gets a huge reaction, Danhausen got a pop.

QuoteHis "Danhausen is All Elite" tweet has more interaction than many big named signings of the past including Sting, Malakai Black, Paul Wight, and Ruby Soho.

Does that mean your boy HOOK isn't popular as his All Elite Tweet was the lowest interaction level of the lot?

I'm not saying he isn't popular or over, just that you're overreacting because of your fandom.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 27, 2022, 05:11:02 PMThen I guess we're using different metrics. Adam Cole gets a huge reaction, Danhausen got a pop.

Does that mean your boy HOOK isn't popular as his All Elite Tweet was the lowest interaction level of the lot?

I'm not saying he isn't popular or over, just that you're overreacting because of your fandom.

HOOK isn't as popular as Danhausen no. Danhausen has been around longer and built up his fanbase over the past few years.

Deanjam

I don't know much about Dan Hausen, apart from he seems very popular with other wrestlers on Twitter. But AEW showed with OC that they can take someone with an indie-rific gimmick and actually make it work on their main shows. He's retained the essence of the character, while jettisoning some of the sillier aspects. And its mostly worked.

I'm not one of those people who thinks everything on AEW TV is amazing, but they've got a good track record of finding roles for people that fit, and changing what needs to change to make it work.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: madhair60 on January 27, 2022, 11:50:12 AMwell, AEW had a good run. I won't be watching again until that meme cunt is dead or released. Cheers

edit: I realise this is a slight overreaction but I cannot stress enough how unfunny I find cringehausen

Yeah that guy blows. Why is Adam Cole even involved in this? He had it better in NXT.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 27, 2022, 05:13:15 PMHOOK isn't as popular as Danhausen no. Danhausen has been around longer and built up his fanbase over the past few years.

But if you want to compare, the crowd reactions for HOOK are huge compared to what Danhausne got.

Quote from: Deanjam on January 27, 2022, 05:30:34 PMI don't know much about Dan Hausen, apart from he seems very popular with other wrestlers on Twitter. But AEW showed with OC that they can take someone with an indie-rific gimmick and actually make it work on their main shows. He's retained the essence of the character, while jettisoning some of the sillier aspects. And its mostly worked.

As i've said, i'm not really familiar with him but everyone keeps mentioning him in the same breath as OC, so is there room for a similar comedy gimmick in AEW being that OC does it so well? And I don't mean that his gimmick is the same as OC's, but that they both do a comedy gimmick that seems to require a lot of suspension of disbelief.