Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:30:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: The Ritings of Robert Fett

Started by madhair60, December 29, 2021, 10:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

I have questions! Well, two of them.

WART'S IN A NYME?

... how DO you pronounce Boba? I've always said it BOE-ba. But Temuera Morrison pronounces it BOB-ah. And the thing is, I can't remember his name being said out loud in the original trilogy, and if it was said in the prequels it was by TM as Jango. So which is it? And if the latter, has it always been that way?

HOW OLD BOBA FETT?

OK, first let's establish a few parameters:

- TM is 61. He would have been 41 in Attack Of The Clones (2002).
- Young Boba was played by Daniel Logan. He was 15 when AotC came out! Small for his age, or he presumably was even when it was filmed and he might have been 13 or 14.

And from Wookiepedia:

- AotC is set in 22 BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin, in A New Hope. No, really, this is how they do dates in SW fandom)
- Return of the Jedi is set in 4 ABY (After the... you get the idea)
- The Secret Diary of Bobrian* Fett, aged xx 3/4 is set in 9 ABY

I also spotted something in Wookiepedia about Boba being biologically 10 years old in AotC, which is more in keeping with his size. I don't know if the clones had accelerated growth or grew up normally, but for the sake of argument let's say he was "born" in 32 BBY. More on this in a minute.

Therefore 32 + 9 = 41. Obviously TM does not look like he did in 2002. Therefore either he was all scarred and aged-looking as a result of his brief sojourn chez Sarlacc (I noted how white his overalls were afterwards, which they weren't before - bleached by digestive juices?)...

... or, while he may have been biologically 10 in 22 BBY, that was as a result of less than ten years of chronological growth, and he grew to adulthood really quickly thereafter, perhaps in a couple of years, meaning he could be biologically in his fifties... and aged/scarred by his Sarlaccian spa day.

* This joke works a lot better if it is pronounced BOE-ba.

Dr Rock

Quote from: mothman on January 15, 2022, 09:27:06 PMAnd the thing is, I can't remember his name being said out loud in the original trilogy,

Han says it when he's hanging over the Sarlacc pit. Can't remember how he pronounces it though. I say Boahba.

Mister Six

Nobody watching this is allowed to complain about the MCU.

Crenners

The people who watch this are the same people who watch the mcu dingo

Glebe

There's a rumour that
Spoiler alert
Han (possibly as a de-aged Harrison Ford) will cameo, probably in the final episode.
[close]
Wouldn't surprise me all that much if this turns out to be true, it's par for the course for Disney's SW/Marvel series to have a big fan-pleasing bit.

mjwilson

It would be funny if it were a
Spoiler alert
CGI aged-up Alden Ehnenreich
[close]
instead.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Glebe on January 16, 2022, 11:43:24 AMThere's a rumour that
Spoiler alert
Han (possibly as a de-aged Harrison Ford) will cameo, probably in the final episode.
[close]
A lot of people answered adverts for a
Spoiler alert
Han job.
[close]

Milo

I'm finding this very slow but I'm still watching it. Not got much else to do.

Glebe

Quote from: mjwilson on January 16, 2022, 02:02:15 PMIt would be funny if it were a
Spoiler alert
CGI aged-up Alden Ehnenreich
[close]
instead.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 16, 2022, 02:14:52 PMA lot of people answered adverts for a
Spoiler alert
Han job.
[close]

Spoiler alert
[close]

Alberon

No spoilers for episode 4, but this isn't a patch on The Mandalorian. Part of the problem is Mando often went to a new planet each week which covered the occasionally thin plot. Here it seems spread between just three locations and the desert set.

Tatooine just isn't that interesting.

Kelvin

Feels like Fett would have been fun as a terminator-style antagonist remorselessly hunting down the heroes in a series or film. Weird that they've gone in this direction instead.

Dr Rock

I like the direction it's taken. My expectations have been subverted.

Alberon

And from thence the humour arose?

Though to be fair - I did like
Spoiler alert
the ratcatcher.
[close]

Povidone

Seeing Thundercat in all his glory then hearing his wibbly wobbly bass throughout the soundtrack of the episode fair took me out of that one.

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on January 16, 2022, 07:20:10 AMNobody watching this is allowed to complain about the MCU.

too bad mother fucker

SteveDave

I enjoyed the strain showing in thr faces of the lads carrying the two Hutt cousins.

kalowski

I'm enjoying it. And if you watch it with an 11 year old you recognise just how much fun it is. My lad is loving it.

kngen

I'm liking it a lot, too (apart from that whole cybermod bit - that was shite), but now that I've finished the Mandalorian, I can see why people are less impressed by it.

kalowski

My lad got very excited when
Spoiler alert
the Mandalorian music played near the end of episode 4.
[close]

Glebe

Quote from: kngen on January 24, 2022, 03:52:49 PMapart from that whole cybermod bit - that was shite

Bit of a cheesy joke the way they're called 'mods' and they're all young bikers too!

Meanwhile:

Book of Boba Fett Fan Melts Down Over a Fourth-Wall-Breaking Error

Whoops! Quick - CG it out!

The Book of Boba Fett: Star Wars fans complain about 'incredibly sloppy' plot hole in latest episode.

Maybe he was just so dazed he didn't realise the Jawa's robbed his gear?

In other Fett news, Temueru Morrison thinks Boba talks too much and it ruins his mysteriousness and we all agree with him (surely?!):

I.D. Smith

I've just caught up with the latest episode, and there's one bit I didn't quite understand.
Spoiler alert
When Bob and Fennec go back to the Sarlacc Pit to find his armour, he mentions that this is where he was "many years ago" (or something to that affect). Now I assume the time period of him falling into the pit and getting out would've been maybe a day or so, and therefore the time between getting out and then returning to the pit was a number of years. But unless I've misread something, the period he spends with the Tuskens in between was maybe only a month or two? Or is that time meant to have been over many years?
[close]

Glebe

Quote from: I.D. Smith on January 25, 2022, 11:04:17 AMI've just caught up with the latest episode, and there's one bit I didn't quite understand.
Spoiler alert
When Bob and Fennec go back to the Sarlacc Pit to find his armour, he mentions that this is where he was "many years ago" (or something to that affect). Now I assume the time period of him falling into the pit and getting out would've been maybe a day or so, and therefore the time between getting out and then returning to the pit was a number of years. But unless I've misread something, the period he spends with the Tuskens in between was maybe only a month or two? Or is that time meant to have been over many years?
[close]

Yeah think he's meant to have
Spoiler alert
spent a few years with the Tuskans by then.
[close]

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Glebe on January 25, 2022, 11:07:54 AMYeah think he's meant to have
Spoiler alert
spent a few years with the Tuskans by then.
[close]

Ah I see, thank you! :)
Spoiler alert
For some reason I had it in my head that it was just a 2 week getaway with the Tuskens. To be fair, I was wondering why he was so fond of them so soon by the time he came to leave the camp, but that's because in my head it was only a week or so before that they were kicking shit the out of him, and denying him water.
[close]

Glebe

I.D. Smith

Thank you for being kind - I was just putting it down to me getting old and losing track of things easier!

Also this:

Quote from: Glebe on January 25, 2022, 10:11:56 AMThe Book of Boba Fett: Star Wars fans complain about 'incredibly sloppy' plot hole in latest episode.

Maybe he was just so dazed he didn't realise the Jawa's robbed his gear?

I just assumed this too.
Spoiler alert
Like he just got out on instincts and then passed out. Sometimes when I get out of bed, half awake, I don't realise till mid morning that I have my trousers on the wrong way round.
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Online film nerd types really don't seem to understand what "plot hole" means. Unless they're talking about the  the sarlac itself, which is a hole that is is important to the plot.

Glebe

Quote from: I.D. Smith on January 25, 2022, 11:56:09 AM
Spoiler alert
Like he just got out on instincts and then passed out. Sometimes when I get out of bed, half awake, I don't realise till mid morning that I have my trousers on the wrong way round.
[close]

"Me armour's gone and I've not even had me coffee yet!" ;)

Actually this New Rockstars video helped clarify the timeline a bit for me... Eric Voss goes into it a bit around here, suggesting
Spoiler alert
there's pretty much a five year gap till he returns to the Sarlacc!
[close]

ZoyzaSorris

Yeah I thought it was pretty obvious that the whole being eaten episode was a traumatic gap in his memory and he was just going back on a vain hope. Also I thought they were leaning into the harrowing effects of being semi-digested as to why he looks a bit older than you might expect.

ZoyzaSorris

Modern nerdish for plot hole seems to be 'thing I personally haven't had painstakingly explained to me'

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Mister Six on January 16, 2022, 07:20:10 AMNobody watching this is allowed to complain about the MCU.

Disagree. The MCU is a bloated CGI ADHD fest that thinks film making is about throwing as many bright flashing colours at the screen as fast as possible whilst having a complex and convoluted yet still somehow puddle-deep plot. This is a nicely paced minimalist bit of simple old-fashioned storytelling with lovely non-cluttered visuals.